Airflow in my case

Ed Hunter

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I have a phantom 410 case with 6 fans inside it but installed to top 2 140mm fans wrong - they pull air into the case instead of out of it is this a big deal? Because i will have to cut many cable ties in my case to have enough wire to flip them because at the moment my hyper 212 is stopping me from doing so with the short cable length available. I also have 2 120s at the front pulling air in and a rear 120 pulling air out? So will this effect temps and what are my options? Thx :)

you would want the front drawing in air and the back acting as exhaust. if the top is pulling air in, it would be ok as you are creating positive air pressure to keep out dust. you always want more intakes than exhaust. just make sure everything is filtered

e56imfg

Distinguished
A top intake is better than an exhaust. But I would remove one of the top fans (the one near the exhaust) and leave the top fan above the CPU cooler.
If you want to properly optimize your case, this will show you how.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I have built with top fans both ways. There is nothing wrong with the top fans intaking air as long as there are filters to keep dirt/dust out. Lately I have been building with top fans exhausting because I can't control the environment the PC will be used in.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You're only going to flip one of the two fans? They may end up cancelling each others' air flow out being that close together.