Just installed windows 7 on SSD and have a question

bliss421

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hey guys ive got a question for you. I just installed windows 7 on an ssd i just put into my computer and all i did was unplug the sata cable from my hdd without wiping it of anything and then installed windows on the SSD. I was just wondering if i can plug the HDD back in now and if everything will run okay.Just want to insure that it will be running the os off my ssd and not the HDD since it will be loaded on both and the HDD has had it longer. Also, if it does work like that, can i proceed to wipe everything on the hard drive except programs and videos/music and still have them work? Thanks in advance.

Sure, u can plug it in, and if the boot drive is the SSD, u can access it and use the documents on that drive.

But the best would be, to create a partition and transfer the files u want to save on the new partition, so u can than format the old system drive : )

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

simplist way to recover files would be

install old hdd, keep hitting delete key to enter bios, make sure its set to boot from ssd

then when you are within windows

click on start, right-click on "computer" then manage

click on disk management. create a partition on old drive. copy all data you want to keep onto new partition then delete the old partition e.g. the one with windows on it

then you can expand the partition and you have a new drive

personally i would rather backup data to another medium e.g. a spare hdd (yes i have a few floating around)

and then format then transfer data back

(personally though i never keep data on c drive its always on a partition so all i do is. when i go to a bigger drive. image the drive, restore image to new drive then format old.

or just delete c drive on old disk then i still have all my data in tact

As nikorr stated, in bios, set the SSD as the Boot drive.
Didn't specify MB, But most MBs use a key to access a Boot menu (F12 on by gigabyte MB and F11 on my Asrock Z68 MB). Note: this does not chan boot prioity in Bios.

Reason I mention this is that I often leave the OS on both drives for a short period as a precaution. When I'm satisfied that everything is OK on the NEW drive (your SSD) I then wipe the OS from the old drive. You can boot to the SSD and copy your Favorites and email to the SSD from the old HDD.

Depending on How your Old drive was partitioned will determine the best way to delete the Old OS. If only a single Partition, then you need to Back-up your files and data, Then simply reformat. If you have a "OS" partition and a Data Partition, then you can simply formate the OS partition. If Windows will not let you reformat it then you will have to remove the partition. Recommend again, in this case, that you back up your data and files.

You will have to reinstall all your programs and applications to the new OS. They will not work when you boot to the new OS install and they are installed on the old drive to old OS. So you MUST go through and do all this. Keep in mind though, when you install them to your new OS, you may want to keep some or all of them on the now secondary data drive to keep from using up space on your SSD, but you still must install them under the new OS. Just choose custom install, and then install them back to the data drive.