Solved

6MB Cache or 8MB Cache for GAMING???

Trying to decide between two mobile CPUs. They are both within .1 GHz of each other so I am not really worried about that. However, will 8MB Cache REALLY be used in games such as BF3 and COD II or will 6MB suffice? I ask because the 6MB is almost $200 cheaper!

What do you think? Is 8MB a marketing gimmick? I do not do video editing, just gaming...
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cache cache gaming
  1. It doesn't matter.
  2. Elaborate, please? I understand cache is CPU memory to locate things quicker because RAM is much slower.

It doesn't matter, how?
  3. Even though more cache sounds better, it doesn't necessarily denote more performance for gaming. It isn't a very significant difference either, you'd really want to be spending $200 on a better GPU for your lappy!
  4. Tell us what the two processors actually are...
  5. What? No, thats wrong - RAM isn't much slower, cache is just there to hold processes for the CPU to perform, and it's more convenient & slightly faster, while RAM holds things like application data. 6MB is sufficient - 8MB wouldn't be helpful unless you're working on HEAVY applications (video editing), gaming doesn't demand a lot.
  6. Best answer
    Haha, guys he is talking about the CPU's L3 Cache and no 6MB is well enough for you. :)
  7. I'm guessing the i7-36xxQM and a 38XXQM cpu.
  8. Yes, amuffin. Thank you guys for all your advice. Sounds like I am going with the i7-36xxQM with 6MB cache. It is $200 cheaper. Thank you!
  9. How about choosing a best-answer, eh? :D
    abeaty1 said:
    Yes, amuffin. Thank you guys for all your advice. Sounds like I am going with the i7-36xxQM with 6MB cache. It is $200 cheaper. Thank you!
  10. Best answer selected by abeaty1.
  11. Haha, thanks!
    n
    abeaty1 said:
    Best answer selected by abeaty1.

n
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Cache