Core I7 3770 pc for 599? Am i missing something?

alex2718

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
hey guys time to buy a new computer :bounce: So my heart was heavily set on building a new pc for the first time when I ran across this hp hpe-h8xt with a i7-3770, 8gb 1333mhz ram, 1tb hard drive, wireless-n, and dvd burner for only $599 I mean the actual i7 is about $300. I mean as much as I would like to build a computer I just cant let go of the fact that I can get the same specs for $300 less compared to my build. Is this truly a great deal or am I missing something?

computer: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11771214&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56671&N=4047237

You will need a real dedicated graphics card and a 450-500w power supply. I am not familiar with build quality of HP, but I assume they are using large quantities of cheap products like dell.

I highly recommend you do a custom build and select top rated products; even at 300 dollars more you will know the in and outs of your case and have 2-3 year warranties on all items that are higher quality.

Besides, upgrading and changing components in a pre-built might be difficult with the way HP or Dell puts things together.

You do not need an i7 for gaming either! An i5 is perfectly adequate! Buying an i5 instead of an i7 will save you money there too; buying parts from Amazon will save you from tax, unless you live in Washington or somewhere else it makes you do it and a lot of free shipping on Amazon.

It's a good price. The caveat is the use of cheap motherboards, PSUs and RAM - cases too. You won't be overclocking on that mobo and the PSU will not support a proper GPU... Buying a new PSU isn't always as simple as it sounds either, due to random use of proprietary connectors. However, if everything goes well that could be a brilliant "barebones" gaming PC to build upon.

alex2718

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
that's a nice little build with a gtx 560 and windows 7 puts me in the 700 to 800 range which is well under my limit as my mom just bought my sister a 1500 MacBook air.(15 years old by the way) My only fear of building is bending the cpu pins.

Do not worry, just make sure it's set the correct way and gently drop it in. Unless you jam it in, you can't really ruin the pins. Just take your time and don't do this on a carpet.

Except the PSU is marginal. That is why it is such a good deal. It's rated at 550 watts, but it only has a 30 amp 12 volt output. A good 550 watt PSU should be able to produce around 40 amps. My 400 watt CX400 Corsair PSU's produce 30 amps on the 12 volt rail.