Adjusting windows xp thread stack space/size ?

Hi,

I would like to adjust the stack space/size which each thread in windows xp
receives.

I think the default thread stack space size is about 1 megabyte in windows
xp.

I think 1 megabyte is way to much for most threads in the system...

For example my parents pc uses 160 MB in total for all kinds of services and
drivers which are needed to make usb, bluetooth, smartcards,printer/scanner
work etc.

So I would like to try and run windows xp pro (my own pc) and home edition
(parents pc) with just 500 KB of thread stack space size to see if that will
work.

I think it is worth an experiment since if it would work I would have simply
halfed the memory requirement ! =D and that would be very good for the
overall performance for any system as well for games =D

So my question is: Is it possible to change the thread stack space size ? if
so how ?

Bye,
Skybuck.
1 answer Last reply
More about adjusting windows thread stack space size

    Hi Skybuck,

    Thank you for posting here.

    My understanding of your issue is: you want to manually change the thread
    stack size of Windows XP.

    Based on my knowledge, I'd like to tell you that the settings of thread
    stack size is controlled by programmer, they use a method called"
    _beginthread" to do this. I'd like to provide you the link for your
    conference:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/
    _crt__beginthread.2c_._beginthreadex.asp

    Furthermore, though the default thread stack size is 1MB, but Windows XP
    just reserve but not commits the space. Based on my experience, Windows XP
    may store the default thread stack size in Registry Keys in encrypted
    forms, and we strongly recommend you not to change it yourself.

    I hope that the above information can be of assistance.

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "Skybuck Flying" <nospam@hotmail.com>
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
    | Subject: Adjusting windows xp thread stack space/size ?
    | Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:48:55 +0200
    |
    | Hi,
    |
    | I would like to adjust the stack space/size which each thread in windows
    xp
    | receives.
    |
    | I think the default thread stack space size is about 1 megabyte in windows
    | xp.
    |
    | I think 1 megabyte is way to much for most threads in the system...
    |
    | For example my parents pc uses 160 MB in total for all kinds of services
    and
    | drivers which are needed to make usb, bluetooth,
    smartcards,printer/scanner
    | work etc.
    |
    | So I would like to try and run windows xp pro (my own pc) and home edition
    | (parents pc) with just 500 KB of thread stack space size to see if that
    will
    | work.
    |
    | I think it is worth an experiment since if it would work I would have
    simply
    | halfed the memory requirement ! =D and that would be very good for the
    | overall performance for any system as well for games =D
    |
    | So my question is: Is it possible to change the thread stack space size ?
    if
    | so how ?
    |
    | Bye,
    | Skybuck.