Sign in with
Your question

Bad CPU memory controller?

Last response: in CPUs
January 5, 2013 11:14:42 PM

Hello,

I built a computer about a year and a half ago, and for the first 10-12 months it worked fine, but then started randomly crashing, getting stuck in boot loops, etc. After some time I tried to pinpoint if it was PSU, Memory, Video Card, or MOBO causing the problem.

I tested voltage and a second power supply, and had the same issues happening. Next, I tried to figure if it was the memory causing the problems: I started this by running memtest with all 4 sticks of ram in the computer and it crashed in the middle of the test. Afterwards, I switched it to two sticks in dual channel, also crashed mid test. At that point, I put one stick in the main slot for that board (gigabyte ga-z68ma-d2h-b3)and it booted and ran fine from then on. I also tested all other memory from that set and 4 other sticks and all functioned fine.

At that point I assumed it was bad DIMM slots so I requested info from tech support at gigabyte and they told me to check another motherboard. It (asus P8z77-m pro) arrived today and I installed it and had similar issues. All memory worked in one slot but would not boot with more than one stick of RAM in... The computer kept crashing.

This is making me concerned that the CPU is in fact bad.

Another important fact is that this is the first time I swapped a mobo, not sure if there are critical things that I missed when switching or not but I am lost as to what to do next.

If anyone has thoughts comments or suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy
a c 887 à CPUs
a c 249 } Memory
January 5, 2013 11:24:23 PM

Assuming that you have fixed or reinstalled windows and all the drivers for the new board are installed then it looks like a CPU issue.
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
a b } Memory
January 6, 2013 12:48:41 AM

What's the voltage on the ram?
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 1:40:14 AM

1.5 v, it's 1866 MHz, board calls for 1600 standard... Not sure how much that effects it. I've never messed with OC and definitely a bit lost with UEFI.
m
l
a c 194 à CPUs
a c 89 } Memory
January 6, 2013 1:57:38 AM

i hate level one tech that try and blindly say xyz is wrong. most times with ram now and new mb is that vendors swap the ram chips they uses from lot to lot. most times just changing a letter or two in the ram code. when you bought the ram and mb was the ram on the qal list or one close to it. if it was not on the mb qal list..did you ask the mb vendor if it was. most times it a bios update to fix ram issues becuase new ram drops so fast that mb vendors sometime 2-3 months after there mb drops get to update the bios for new ram models. with the ram did you run cpu-z and read the ram spd info. 12 months ago most ram was 1.5 at 1333 and 1.65 for 1600/1800 xmp profile. the other tip did the mb vendor try and have you bump the dram voltage to see if it stop blue screening or go in and slow the ram down to stock 1600 speed??
with the new asus mb make sure you have the newest bios on it. then check to see if with cpu-z it 1.5 or 1.65 ram at 1866.
if it is turn on xmp profile in the bios and make sure mb voltage is 1.65. if it still crashes try bumping up the dram voltage to 1.7v.
m
l
a c 362 à CPUs
a b } Memory
January 6, 2013 2:03:56 AM

I would still be inclined to think the problem is the memory. However, some boards have trouble when all 4 slots are populated with the fastest RAM it can use and the RAM isn't on the QVL.
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:12:55 AM

Everyone, thanks for the replies. I am currently going through to ensure all drivers and other updates are taken care of. Once that's done I'll check in BIOS again to get voltage, etc and see if I can get it running smoothly again.

@smorizio, they disnt offer any help other than "it's possibly the CPU, if not RMA the board." Not really too useful.
m
l
a c 887 à CPUs
a c 249 } Memory
January 6, 2013 2:26:03 AM

Really the thing to try with the memory is resetting BIOS/CMOS with all the ram in, then the board should default to the SPD on the ram. Then check if the command rate actually set to 2T which is necessary with 4 sticks.
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:37:52 AM

rolli59 said:
Really the thing to try with the memory is resetting BIOS/CMOS with all the ram in, then the board should default to the SPD on the ram. Then check if the command rate actually set to 2T which is necessary with 4 sticks.

I just tried this, and nothing happens at all once I reset CMOS w/4 sticks or ram. Only configuration it's worked in so far is 1 4 FB stick in a2 (primary slot for this board.

It won't POST w/ more than one in.
m
l
a c 194 à CPUs
a c 89 } Memory
January 6, 2013 2:53:56 AM

make sure you flash the bios to 1708.
P8Z77-M PRO BIOS 1708
has all the bios updates for new ram code.
asus mb dont load xmp whe nyou clear the cmos it under oc setting dram timing...xmp profile.
m
l
!