Need help Cooler for I5 2500K.

umonpour

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time for help me out.

I have Intel I5 2500K CPU with stock cooler.

Recently, I installed a graphic card, right after installing the graphic card, the computer shut down twice within (45second - 1.30 min) and when I look into it, there was no problem with graphic card, there was problem with CPU cooler.

The Stock CPU Cooler some how moved from it place and did not provide enough air, which caused the CPU to over heat and force computer to shutdown.

It happened 3x times. I took out the Case and saw the fan was moving around, it wasn't fitted properly with the CPU (it was loose).

--------------------------------

Can someone please tell me, what is the normal temperature for Intel I5 2500k. With no use heavy use. I took out the follwing temperature while playing a youtube video and typing this post.

The following temperature are for my processor

Core #0: 51C Min: 43C Max: 55C
Core #1: 52C Min: 45C Max: 57C
Core #2: 50C Min: 44C Max: 55C
Core #3: 51C Min: 42C Max: 54C

Is this normal???

I was thinking of buying this cooler from ebay?

Is this ok? - My budget is really low. Recently upgraded my graphic card.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zalman-CPU-Fan-Cooler-Intel-LGA-775-1156-AMD-Socket-AM3-/230622431365?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item35b22b0885

Ebay item number: 230622431365

if this is not ok, please refer me a good cooler within reasonable price.

Thank you so much for reading this post.

I really appreciate it. :)

rainbueza

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
hi umonpour, I also had problems wih the intel heatsinks, it's kinda hard to mount because you still have to turn the screws properly for it to work, unlike AMD heatsinks wherein you can just turn the lever and its done.

But are you sure that the temperature of the processor is the issue here? those temps are high but not high enough for your computer to shutdown. Intel CPUs can handle 80c-90c without shutting down. May I know what graphics card are you using and also your power supply. I want to know also your motherboard.

I am thinking that you are having problem with the psu.

Thanks.

umonpour

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

Hi, rainbueza

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

I am not having any problem with the processor temperature, I just thought, is not good having that hot. Also with heavy load, it will propably hit close to 80C.

I was trying to convert some video files, it went up to 65C all four core. If, I run something like Ops 2 or Need for speed shift 2, it will probably hit 90C.

My computer only shut down when the cooler wasn't plugged in properly. I fixed it now. Computer isn't shutting down anymore. Just the temp is so high.

I am using Radeon 5670 1GB

MARS RED GAMING ATX - 750W

Motherboard isn't good , its - Gigabytes H61M-D2H-USB3

The cooler I have linked above from ebay, would this be good for keeping the CPU temperature down? I want the temp to be something like 20-30C.

People's average temp with I5 2500k is around 30C

With the cooler coming off, the thermal paste is probably not applied correctly. Whenever you remove a heatsink, you have to replace the thermal paste. This would explain why your temps are only a little higher than normal. Idle temps should be about 10C higher than room temp. Hitting 70C's under load on the stock cooler is normal.

It starts to throttle at 95C but don't go much higher than 80C just to be safe.