Sign in with
Your question

RAM causing BSOD cause of CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2013 1:12:36 AM

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 945 at 3Ghz with 4GB 1600Mhz Crucial BallistiX ram. At BIOS i have the option to set the DRAM Frequency to Auto | 800 Mhz | 1333 Mhz | 1600 Mhz. I want the highest speed so when i set the frequency to 1600 Mhz i get BSOD from time to time while in Windows. I'm not even gaming, just browsing the web. I have set it to Auto which made it to 1333 Mhz. Now i haven't got BSOD yet and it's been quite a while and usually i should have got it again by now. Why is it that i get BSOD when i have ram frequency at 1600Mhz? I've heard some CPUs can't go with that high frequency and either you need to overclock the CPU or the Ram, or change ram voltage or something. I can do both in BIOS. I have the options to overclock CPU with 1% = 20 Mhz, 5% = 100Mhz and 10% = 200Mhz if that would help.

I have an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO motherboard.

Also, if i would happen to leave it on 1333 Mhz, would there be any performance difference between that and 1600Mhz? Suggestions please :/ 

More about : ram causing bsod cpu

January 6, 2013 1:19:05 AM

Not really, I would say the difference between that two ram frequencies won't have a huge impact on your performance.
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 1:48:16 AM

Akmmost no dif between 1333 and 1600
January 6, 2013 1:51:35 AM

Back when I first built my computer I had a similar problem. Setting the memory to 1600Mhz would cause a lot of instability even though the ram I'd purchased was designed to run at 1600 Mhz. While looking through the BIOS settings, I noticed that the timings and voltage were set on "Auto," and that these numbers were different from what was on the memory's packaging. After changing these settings my problems went away completely. Check that the timings and voltage are getting changed to the proper amounts when you change the frequency. If they aren't then you may be able to boot, but it'll probably crash sooner or later.
!