Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should this power supply work?

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2012 1:36:09 PM

I just purchased:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core

G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I already had this power supply and thought it would be okay:

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 650W

When I power up the computer for the first time, the case fan kicked on, the mobo beeped once, the cpu fan didn't start running till the bios screen came up (5 sec?), then the cpu fan kicked in high for 3 sec, but then computer reboots, still on the BIOS splash screen. I am not able to get in to the BIOS or hit tab to get rid of the BIOS splash. Not sure if its a bad mobo or not enough power, or something else.

More about : power supply work

a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 1:43:53 PM

You bought the wrong motherboard.

You need a Z77 for a Ivy Bridge cpu, or a Sandy Bridge cpu to update the bios.
m
l
August 22, 2012 1:56:19 PM

So essentially I just need to get my BIOS version up, but in order to do that I need a different CPU. Hmm, wonder how I"m going to pull this off.

I guess I could exchange the motherboard. :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 1:59:14 PM

Do you have a local computer shop? They should be able to do it for you without you having to exchange motherboards or purchasing a new CPU.

-Wolf sends
m
l
August 22, 2012 2:04:25 PM

Good call Wolfshadw. I guess its been a while since I've been in a brick and mortar computer place, I'll give them a call.
m
l
a c 83 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 2:07:16 PM

Hold on. Do you have a hdd plugged into it? If you are reaching the bios I would think the CPU would be fine. From what I've seen if the CPU is bad then it won't boot at all. Try going into the bios. Get rid of the splash screen and see if there are any errors. Maybe its rebooting because it can't find a boot device or something.
m
l
August 22, 2012 2:37:26 PM

I will have to try that when I get home 4745454b, but when the splash screen would pop up I would hit TAB to try and clear the splash and DEL to try and get in to the BIOS, but it didn't seem to respond to the keyboard at all. I tried different keyboards and different USB slots, I even tried the PS/2 port which I haven't had to use in years.

It really could be a bad mobo, but I wanted to try everything I could before exchanging it.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 3:25:16 PM

It's not bad, YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG MOBO.

It's common knowledge a Z68 needs a bios update for Ivy Bridge.

You need bios F6, your board probably came with F2.
a c 83 ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 3:42:46 PM

F2 and F10 are also common keys to press. Should say on the bottom of the screen beneath the image.

Geek, not saying it isn't a bios issue. Just that from my experience if its a bad CPU it won't boot at all. Except for AMD when its the same CPU just with a higher multiplier. Then it boots but uses the wrong setting.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 3:52:57 PM

There's about a 1 in 1000 odds of it being a bad cpu. I've only had to rma about 10 in 10 years and I'd say 8 of them were burnt from overclocking.
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:01:35 PM

DIT here in town said they would flash it for me.

I'm guessing the board boots and when it goes to power the cpu it fails and reboots. Maybe since the board will actually support the CPU once the BIOS is up-to-date, it doesn't cause an out right fail from the get go.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 5:14:17 PM

Honestly, I'd try to trade it out for Z77 IF you can, otherwise, the bios update will do it for you.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 6:02:49 PM

That's all true, but just to a address the title of the thread:

The PSU is made by Acbel Polytech, a company that is associated with various cheap PSUs over the years but not well tested by reviewers. What meager info I could dredge up indicated that it's not a bad PSU though. It's probably inefficient and may not be able to handle much heat, but the voltage and ripple are probably in spec as long as the unit is supplied with fresh air.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 6:58:10 PM

It's 80+ rated so it can't be that inneficient.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 7:46:09 PM

I went by the link he posted......

I don't know, all Real Power Pro's I've ever seen are at least 80+ and 5yr warranty.

it really doesn't make sense that one of them wouldn't be.
m
l
August 22, 2012 8:22:01 PM

Best answer selected by dustinbrooks.
m
l
August 22, 2012 8:35:39 PM

The BIOS update was all it needed. I don't really think it was the "wrong" motherboard when it states that it supports the processor, but a more noticeable "with an updated BIOS" would be nice. I'm sure its common knowledge to people constantly in the hardware, but I'm a programmer who doesn't get in there as much as I used to.

I've used that power supply in its current machine for 6 years now. First a gaming machine, last few years a home server. Being so old I was just wondering if that might be the issue at first, until geekapproved mentioned the BIOS in the first comment.

I appreciate all the help guys.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 22, 2012 9:01:15 PM

geekapproved said:
I went by the link he posted......

I don't know, all Real Power Pro's I've ever seen are at least 80+ and 5yr warranty.

it really doesn't make sense that one of them wouldn't be.

Understood. I just have less faith than you in CM PSUs. Also Tt. If it's not on the 80plus site it was never tested... however, Acbel has a few 670W PSUs on the list and it's possible they are using one of those with a new paint job, so felt it wasn't needed.
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDet...

dustinbrooks said:
The BIOS update was all it needed. I don't really think it was the "wrong" motherboard when it states that it supports the processor, but a more noticeable "with an updated BIOS" would be nice. I'm sure its common knowledge to people constantly in the hardware, but I'm a programmer who doesn't get in there as much as I used to.

I've used that power supply in its current machine for 6 years now. First a gaming machine, last few years a home server. Being so old I was just wondering if that might be the issue at first, until geekapproved mentioned the BIOS in the first comment.

Glad it's all straight. :)  The PSU is probably still OK, just remember that not all PSU problems are easy to spot, and that's why people like me get so fussy. We don't want any of your hardware wearing out before it should due to loose voltage regulation or ripple.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 23, 2012 1:26:55 PM

dustinbrooks said:

I understand but.......Z68 was released for Sandy Bridge. Z77/H77/B75 was released for Ivy Bridge. Always go with the newest chipset when choosing the newest cpu if you expect out of the box compatibility.
m
l
!