Possible faulty cpu?

Rebel_Justin

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
ok so recently i built a gaming pc and its been randomly crashing and getting bsod. i did a memtest and within a half hour i got 9 errors so i stopped it. does a bad memtest only mean bad ram or a bad cpu, or bad mobo.

specs
fx-4100
asus m5a78l
8gb ram not sure manufacturer
500gb hard drive
radeon 6770
coolmaster 600w psu

Solution
...That's not to say that the motherboard is completely ruled out. But without know-good sticks to test with, that's all the help I can think of to offer.

(again, couldn't edit)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You may be able to spot the one with the errors quickly without running more than one pass. That may save you some time. Of course it's always best to memtest for several passes when time permits. As the PC heats up, it can affect RAM also.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Sounds like both sticks are bad. Are they a no-name pair of sticks? Can you provide some specs from the labels on the sticks? And are they a matched pair? Not that the last point would have any bearing on the errors, just curious.

Was this a pre-built?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

As odd as it is to have both matched sticks turn out to be bad, your symptoms indicate classic "bad memory". If you don't have another stick or two to test with at this time, I'm still going to say it's bad RAM.

I've never used any Patriot RAM before, so I can't speak for its quality. But let's just say it isn't one of the preferred brands.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If you can boot to BIOS, simply set it back to factory defaults as explained on page 2-28 of your manual under the "Exit" menu. Or, if unable to enter BIOS, remove the CMOS battery and short the CLRTC jumpers as explained on page 1-19 of your manual under "Jumpers". Both processes will reset your BIOS to factory.