Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Possible faulty cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2013 1:37:50 AM

ok so recently i built a gaming pc and its been randomly crashing and getting bsod. i did a memtest and within a half hour i got 9 errors so i stopped it. does a bad memtest only mean bad ram or a bad cpu, or bad mobo.

specs
fx-4100
asus m5a78l
8gb ram not sure manufacturer
500gb hard drive
radeon 6770
coolmaster 600w psu

More about : faulty cpu

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 1:45:47 AM

one stick or 2-4 ? Try it with one stick at a time , see if you can narrow down which stick is bad , if it is the ram that's bad
m
l
a c 364 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 1:59:10 AM

Generally, a BSOD will indicate a bad stick of memory. Errors running memtest almost confirms it.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 6, 2013 3:33:34 AM

ok i took one out and its on its second pass and so far its fine, ill probably let it run overnight then try the other ram
m
l
a c 364 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 2:23:55 PM

Rebel_Justin said:
ok i took one out and its on its second pass and so far its fine, ill probably let it run overnight then try the other ram

You may be able to spot the one with the errors quickly without running more than one pass. That may save you some time. Of course it's always best to memtest for several passes when time permits. As the PC heats up, it can affect RAM also.
m
l
January 6, 2013 4:23:33 PM

ok so both of my ram have errors does this mean its the mobo or something else?
m
l
a c 364 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 4:30:16 PM

Rebel_Justin said:
ok so both of my ram have errors does this mean its the mobo or something else?

Sounds like both sticks are bad. Are they a no-name pair of sticks? Can you provide some specs from the labels on the sticks? And are they a matched pair? Not that the last point would have any bearing on the errors, just curious.

Was this a pre-built?
m
l
January 6, 2013 4:46:16 PM

i also thought i should mention i have a cool master psu and apparently there bad it says 600w but really is 400w so i just ordered a xfx psu on Friday. could a bad psu cause this
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:07:03 PM

Sounds like you have bad memory sticks
m
l
a c 364 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 5:33:49 PM

Rebel_Justin said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and it was a fresh build in July

As odd as it is to have both matched sticks turn out to be bad, your symptoms indicate classic "bad memory". If you don't have another stick or two to test with at this time, I'm still going to say it's bad RAM.

I've never used any Patriot RAM before, so I can't speak for its quality. But let's just say it isn't one of the preferred brands.
m
l

Best solution

a c 364 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 5:35:57 PM

...That's not to say that the motherboard is completely ruled out. But without know-good sticks to test with, that's all the help I can think of to offer.

(again, couldn't edit)
January 6, 2013 5:36:26 PM

Best answer selected by Rebel_Justin.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:37:17 PM

thanks for your help in the end i did something in the bios and now it wont start up so im gonna take it to an expert
m
l
a c 364 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 7:06:15 PM

Rebel_Justin said:
thanks for your help in the end i did something in the bios and now it wont start up so im gonna take it to an expert

If you can boot to BIOS, simply set it back to factory defaults as explained on page 2-28 of your manual under the "Exit" menu. Or, if unable to enter BIOS, remove the CMOS battery and short the CLRTC jumpers as explained on page 1-19 of your manual under "Jumpers". Both processes will reset your BIOS to factory.
m
l
!