Sign in with
Your question
Closed

[Solved] Failing PSU or ?

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2013 2:50:49 AM

System:

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum (BIOS v3.9)
AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition (3.0GHz Stock)
MSI NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti 2GB Power Edition (Stock)
8GB Corsair XMS2 PC8500C5D (5-5-5-15:2T)
320GB, 500GB, 500GB Western Digital (Blue 7200 RPM)
NEC DVD/RW
Ultra X3 600W PSU (Purchased 2/7/2009)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Signature Edition

I'll try to give an approximate chronology.

About a month ago we had a power outage here (Surge Protected).
2 Weeks ago computer shut down while playing World of Warcraft (Just flying through a zone)
Now for the past week anytime I'm near water in World of Warcraft my PC shuts off.
Tested at PC Pitstop and on second 3D video test PC shuts off. (Right before it shuts off there is coil whine from something)

I have turned down the liquid detail in World of Warcraft and I can play with no shut downs.

Video Card is not overheating. Idle 28C, 100% load tested with MSI Kombustor 67C.
CPU is not overheating. Idle 40C, 100% load tested with AIDA64 60C.
Tested each stick of memory with memtest86+. (No errors).

There has always been a coil whine in my system, previously I had thought it was my old video card, but when I replaced the video card in September, the whine persisted. Didn't think anything of it.

Can hear PSU fan ramping up at various times while gaming, though not a lot of heat is coming from the back of my PC.

Currently am unable to test with a different PSU.

I'm wondering with the GTX 660 Ti core clock scales with demand and so does the voltage, is this increase in power going over peak for the PSU?

More about : solved failing psu

January 8, 2013 12:09:29 AM

Buried post, still need help.

Contacted MSI
Contacted Ultra

Waiting on word for Warranty Replacement on the PSU.
Score
January 9, 2013 3:26:16 AM

75+ Views and not a single reply. I signed up for this forum because I thought I would actually be helped.
Score
February 1, 2013 5:32:13 PM

Nevermind, I found out myself, thanks for not helping. Purchased a Corsair HX750 and my PC no longer shuts off during intense 3D applications.
Score
!