Sign in with
Your question

What to Do with My Old PC

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2012 3:38:23 PM

I just built a PC on my own, and now I am left with my old PC, which is an old Dell desktop that ran Windows Vista. I removed all of the files from it and put them on my new computer, and then I completely wiped the Hard drive since it wouldn't run at all when I tried to use that PC. So now I am wondering what to do with my old PC. I have an old monitor, keyboard, and mouse around so I was thinking maybe I could put a free OS on it and use it. I don't think I can get a copy of Windows, so I guess I could go with Linux. Any suggestions on what I should do with it?

More about : question

a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2012 3:44:12 PM

a home media server perhaps.
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:47:30 PM

A media/file server would probably be the best bet if I were in your position.

You could also dedicate it to folding (utilizing your spare CPU cycles to help research disease and things of the like). Hardocp.com has a great group of folders who always want more people.

Hell, you could do both :D 
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2012 3:48:56 PM

Space PCs make great Linux boxes. Home file server, media server, web server, etc... there's a lot you can do with Linux
m
l
August 22, 2012 3:56:53 PM

I'm thinking rifle. Lots of open land. And ammunition :D . At least it sounds fun to me lol. That's how we destroy old hard drives where i work ;)  then to the recycle bin afterwards :D .
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2012 4:00:14 PM

unoriginal1 said:
I'm thinking rifle. Lots of open land. And ammunition :D . At least it sounds fun to me lol. That's how we destroy old hard drives where i work ;)  then to the recycle bin afterwards :D .

Heh, I had some old Dell workstations (based on the first generation Pentium 4s) that were built to withstand a small nuclear blast. They weighed a ton
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:20:14 PM

mine bitcoin with it
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:29:04 PM

Donate it to a charity, or to a poor neighbor / friend who cannot afford to upgrade his/her 10-year old PC.
m
l
August 22, 2012 4:57:55 PM

Alabalcho said:
Donate it to a charity, or to a poor neighbor / friend who cannot afford to upgrade his/her 10-year old PC.

that'sa GREAT idea, but I'll go one further... find your local cancer center and see if they can use it
m
l
August 22, 2012 7:04:15 PM

Pinhedd said:
Heh, I had some old Dell workstations (based on the first generation Pentium 4s) that were built to withstand a small nuclear blast. They weighed a ton

haha gotta love the oldies ;) . We did some remodeling here not long ago and found a monitor stand from who knows when. Supported up to 100 lbs it weighed half that alone. Was a solid chunk of metal could use it as a boat anchor. Wouldn't even want to think about toting all those old displays around :p .
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2012 7:14:38 PM

Alabalcho said:

This one. Particularly good for old people, but then you might get stuck as their tech support! (which is good community service!)

Homeless shelters often use old PCs to train people in professional skills so that they can get jobs. That's my suggestion. Give one a call and they can probably suggest a donation location. Possible tax write-off there too if you itemize.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2012 7:23:05 PM

Alabalcho said:

If you live anywhere in Cincinnati then donate it to Cincinnati Computer Cooperative, we wipe it, fix it up, put our own copy of winXP or 7 on it, and for better systems we put our own copy of Office on it. We then sell them (very cheaply) back to the community to nonprofits, schools, low income families, students, and senior citizens. We provide all the system support, a full warranty, and even teach free classes to those who purchase our machines, and you get to know that it made its way into a home where it can be used, but without having your neighbor calling you every other day asking a question about it.

www.cincinnaticomputercooperative.org

shameless plug :D  but seriously, we have been doing this for 10 years. We are a great company, and we do a ton of good for the community!
If you don't want to donate it, the as others have said; home server/firewall/HTPC/linux box are all great ideas.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2012 11:39:18 PM

unoriginal1 said:
haha gotta love the oldies ;) . We did some remodeling here not long ago and found a monitor stand from who knows when. Supported up to 100 lbs it weighed half that alone. Was a solid chunk of metal could use it as a boat anchor. Wouldn't even want to think about toting all those old displays around :p .

I used a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u up until last year. That thing weighed just under 70 pounds. It was from 2001 and in 2011 beat the snot out of most LCD displays. I got it for free too!
m
l
!