Low budget advice

I have had this system for around 4 or 5 years now and since I've finished building it I haven't upgraded it at all. To give everyone a clear picture of what it is I'm using right now, here it is:

Motherboard: MSI k9n2 SLI Platinum
Socket: AM2+
Chipset: nvidia nForce 750a SLI
Memory Supported: DDR2 667/600/1066 up to 8Gb
More info at: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9N2-SLI-Platinum---K9N2-Zilent.html#/?div=Basic

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ Dual Core
Clock speed: 3100MHz

Memory:DDR2 Patriot Memory PC2-6400 (x2)
Size: 2Gb

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
Memory Size (According to CPUz): 896MBytes
Core Clock: 300Mhz
Shaders: 600 Mhz
Memory: 100 Mhz

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

As you can see, my hardware is pretty dated. I do not have the money to upgrade everything, so I'm looking to perform a cheap upgrade (around $100) but I want to make sure that performance would increase. Specifically, for Guild Wars 2. I played the stress test on Tuesday and my system had a hard time keeping up in intense fighting even on low settings. At the time, I was using a 32 bit operating system (Yes, just upgraded the operating system last night. Student discounts rock). I did not get a chance to see if there was any difference while using a 64bit, though after playing Counter Strike Global Offensive this morning I was able to crank everything on max and did not suffer any stuttering or FPS lag like I did during the Beta a week before release.

Here is a brief list of cheap CPUs and Memory sticks I found and I just wanted everyones input if they thought it would be worth the upgrade. Again, I know my budget is cheap so I don't expect to see any ground breaking difference in performance, but just enough to justify spending the money to hold me over for another 6 months-year before I do serious upgrading.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana Triple-Core
Socket: AM3
Clock speed: 3.2 Ghz
Price: 69.99

Memory: 2Gb DDR2 PC2-6400
Price: 24.99
If you think it would be worth it to go ahead and go all the way to 8gigs, let me know. I figured I might sit on that if it would just be a minor increase.

4 answers Last reply
More about budget advice
  1. I don't think you would see a huge difference between AM2+ @ 3.0GHz and AM3 @ 3.2GHz (espexcially on an AM2+ motherboard). I would also NOT invest in DDR2 memory... Do you have a Microcenter near you?

CPU & MB - FX 4100 + GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G mATX - $90 after rebate

MEM - Crucial 2x2GB DDR3-1600 - $27

Either way you go the GPU would ideally need an upgrade as well...
  2. Thanks for the reply.

That seems like a pretty nice deal. I might have to go that route. Yes, I do want to upgrade the GPU, but unfortunately it will have to be something I do later rather than sooner. I don't have a microcenter near me (San Antonio) but if I can't find a better deal at least they can ship it to me
  3. EntropicTempest said:
    ...but if I can't find a better deal at least they can ship it to me

Nope. In store / pick up only. If you knew someone in Dallas then could buy then ship...
  4. 260 should be ok to run the game on minimum. So, I'd take the advice and upgrade the CPU
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Memory Systems Product