Help with Mechanical Keyboards

TheYellowEyedMan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I wasn't sure where to post this, because I couldn't find a section of the forums dedicated to this type of thing, but if I'm missing the correct place to ask this short of question please point me to the right place if you could.

I'm looking for advice on what type of mechanical keyboard I should buy. I've already decided that I like the Cherry MX Red switch as opposed to Black, Brown, or Blue. However, I have never used a mechanical keyboard prior to now and I don't have as much knowledge about them as I would like. My question is, what mechanical keyboard would you recommend as the best, but not over say two-hundred dollars?

I need it to be of high quality construction and as durable as possible. I'd very much like for it to be backlit, preferably in red, but the illumination needs to be adjustible and something that will last for a very long time without fading or wearing out. I'd also like it to be as gamer friendly as possible, but not overly so and it isn't a deal-breaker if it isn't. Connections on the keyboard, like a headphone jack and USB 3.0, would be welcome additions also. Finally, I very much like the idea of having as many multimedia keys packed onto the board as possible, whilist keeping it relatively compact. So, any suggestions?

Solution
Hello,

Das keyboard or filco make very sturdy construction keyboards, but they don't have many frills besides that.

If you look at the fancy gaming keyboards, CM storm, corsair and maybe thermaltake, I believe, have mx red keyboards with backlighting. Not sure on durablility as I've only seen razer keyboards and those are pretty flimsy looking.

Other things to look into - steelseries, logitec, roccat. most of the features you can find on the website in product description, the only thing that's hard to discern is how sturdy the construction is. For that you have to see the keyboard in the wild.
Hello,

Das keyboard or filco make very sturdy construction keyboards, but they don't have many frills besides that.

If you look at the fancy gaming keyboards, CM storm, corsair and maybe thermaltake, I believe, have mx red keyboards with backlighting. Not sure on durablility as I've only seen razer keyboards and those are pretty flimsy looking.

Other things to look into - steelseries, logitec, roccat. most of the features you can find on the website in product description, the only thing that's hard to discern is how sturdy the construction is. For that you have to see the keyboard in the wild.

Solution