Sign in with
Your question

Computer made loud pop then smoked

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2013 5:39:25 AM

I have a computer that I built that has been running for 2 weeks now. I was just on it downloading games on steam when it just shut down, then made a loud pop, tried to start up, made another loud pop then smoke started coming out of the case. Does anyone know what it could be? The average idle temp in the machine was around 30C and I wasn't doing anything intensive at the time.

my setup is this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/w94G

Please help!
a c 146 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 6:03:51 AM

I am 99.99 percent sure it is a blown power supply. I would replace it and see if that works. Hopefully it didn’t take any other hardware like RAM, motherboard or video card with it when it blew.
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:06:46 AM

Do they usually? I was thinking it was the PSU too. Luckily everything I have is still under warranty, but hopefully it's just the PSU, cuz dealing with all the other RMA's would suck.
m
l
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 6:09:56 AM

deez86 said:
Do they usually? I was thinking it was the PSU too. Luckily everything I have is still under warranty, but hopefully it's just the PSU, cuz dealing with all the other RMA's would suck.

There really is no way to know for sure until you replace the PSU and turn it on. We can keep throwing guesses around and the probabilty of if it took other parts with it but in the end that doesn't really matter. What PSU do you have now? I would replace it with atleast a 500 Watt PSU from Seasonic, Corsair or PC Power and Cooling.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 6:41:12 AM

you usually dont want to get a power supply with the word "max" in it.. raidmax, cool max, etc

corsair seasonic and antec are some good reputable brands
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:52:01 AM

Well the PSU is 6 days outside of the 30 day return policy from newegg so now I just have to RMA it with Enermax and get a new one, if I could return it for a different brand I would.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 7:26:40 AM

If there was smoke you should be able to find some black marks around the blown component. Usually the capacitors.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 2:49:04 PM

deez86 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's supposed to be a good PSU...

That is not really a good quality PSU and it doesnt surprise it blew so fast. Cheap power supplies dont last long especially under load. I understand you dont want to lose the 80 dollars but for you and your parts it is in your best interest to say screw it and bite the bullet to get a new PSU. Replacing the old cheap PSU with another one cheap one is just asking for trouble. The first one blew in a couple days and it will be only matter of time until the new one blows too.
m
l
January 6, 2013 4:58:32 PM

Do you guys have any thoughts on Silverstone PSU's? Those seem to be the ones that fit the best in the Prodigy.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 5:08:30 PM

Silver stone are good quality, so are corsair power supplys, enermax Have known to be shady in some respect. anyway there is one sure way to find out if it was the PSU open it up have a look inside, you will know straight away if it was the cause because you will see black marks on the circuit board, and a quick sniff with your nose for burning smell will confirm the suspicion. As said it is debatable on if it took anything else out with it if it blew, untill you put a new Psu in to test.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:11:42 PM

If it shut down immediately that means you have a blown power supply because if it was a part on your motherboard it would have recognized it was overheating and gave you the blue screen of death, it's definitely your power supply
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:13:09 PM

try getting a Rosewill, Silverstone, Corsair, Antec, Cooler Master, or a Thermaltake
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:01:32 PM

deez86 said:

Well even if the PSU does blow everything else, like the CPU/GPU, newegg and the GPU manufacturers won't take them back because it wasn't their fault they broke, your PSU broke them, most warranties only cover manufacturer defect/error. Teaches you to not cheap on a power supply.

A good replacement PSU is Corsair CX750, or HX750. Other good ones are Seasonic X 720W if you want to pay a little more. Overall I'd reccomend a CX750M, for modular design, and simple, reliable power delivery.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 6:01:39 PM

Hi :) 

Its the PSU ..we see this lots in my shops...

You can tell by SMELLING IT.... it will have a nasty burnt smell...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 6, 2013 7:04:01 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Its the PSU ..we see this lots in my shops...

You can tell by SMELLING IT.... it will have a nasty burnt smell...

When you see this a lot does it take out any of the other parts with it, or is it usually just the PSU?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 7:27:18 PM

deez86 said:
When you see this a lot does it take out any of the other parts with it, or is it usually just the PSU?

It depends if it STOPPED TRANSFORMING or just STOPPED... IF IT PUT MAINS VOLTAGE through the motherboard cpu. ram etc , it CAN blow the lot...

But its more common to just take out the psu...

Your chances are around 80/20 in your favour...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 7:36:13 PM

IMO Rosewill PSU's are junk and wouldn't bother with them. I would stick with Seasonic, Corsair, Power PC and Cooling and Silverstone.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 11:03:52 PM

darksparten said:
Rosewills aren't bad but you can do A LOT better.

Again, a CX750M, or TX750 are good for your price range.

Don't know about that. I really don't think they are that great. I personally would not put one in a build if I was doing.
m
l
!