Solved

Power supply Questions

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2013 6:13:57 AM

Hello,
I have a Lenovo K330 with intel core i7 2600 3.4 ghz
8gb ram ddr3
64 bit and i bought a nvidia gtx 660ti
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Z0AS9A/ref=oh_deta...)

I needed a new power supply because the one that came with lenovo was 280 watt.

So i bought this power supply:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YF9K7G/ref=oh_deta...

But everytime i try to run games on high specs the computer shutdowns.

I changed to my old power supply with the nvidia card on and I didnt got that problem. But i know that 280 watts are not sufficient to handle this card. Can anyone tell me what is happening? i'm pretty new to this so if anyone can help me i would appreciate.

More about : power supply questions

a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2013 11:03:39 AM

HI, It seems it's a power supply issue. Can you RMA it?
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2013 12:01:24 PM

im not familiar with the brand, but can you get a better psu? something like a $60
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2013 1:58:31 PM

It's pretty clear that PSU is junk. Just how rubbish it is is hard to tell, but it seems like the obvious solution is to try and return it and get something else.

There's a few reasons for this. Firstly, while it might be theoretically capable of 600W, you will never be able to use a huge amount of it because the only voltage that draws any significant power is 12V. A good 600W PSU is likely to provide well over 500W on 12V, yours (apparently, data is limited) claims to be around 400W. 400W should be enough for your needs, if it was actually giving you that, but given your issues and the fact it's a very cheap PSU it seems safe to conclude it's not even close.
Also, while not a problem as such, the specs I found for your PSU indicate it has only one PCIe connector, which means you are probably using a 4pin molex to PCIe adaptor for the second. It would be advisable if buying a PSU to support a new graphics card that it has the required cables.

Most entry level PSUs from reputable brands tend to only have one PCIe cable so I'd be inclined to go for a 500W+ as those tend to include 2(or more). Something in the vein of a Corsair CX500 or XFX 550 are the sort of thing to be looking at, but they are a lot more expensive.
a c 260 ) Power supply
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2013 2:07:54 PM

celhz said:
Hello,
I have a Lenovo K330 with intel core i7 2600 3.4 ghz
8gb ram ddr3
64 bit and i bought a nvidia gtx 660ti
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Z0AS9A/ref=oh_deta...)

I needed a new power supply because the one that came with lenovo was 280 watt.

So i bought this power supply:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YF9K7G/ref=oh_deta...

But everytime i try to run games on high specs the computer shutdowns.

I changed to my old power supply with the nvidia card on and I didnt got that problem. But i know that 280 watts are not sufficient to handle this card. Can anyone tell me what is happening? i'm pretty new to this so if anyone can help me i would appreciate.

Hi - Rammy is correct. No quality review on it and it's not listed in the realhardtech
PSU database. However, you don't find decent quality 600w PSU's for $28.

You need only a quality 450w(no harm in more,but not needed) unit for that system.

Quality brands: Seasonic, XFX, PC P&Cooling, most Corsair's, most Antec's.

Tom

Best solution

a c 1109 ) Power supply
a c 84 Î Nvidia
January 6, 2013 5:29:55 PM

Cool Power tends to use Topower/Leadman Electronics Co/Zhao Li Electronics Co., Ltd as an OEM that also provides OEM services for brands such as Powmax, Diablotek, ATADC, and Chiefmax among others.

Topower/Leadman/Zhao Li is on the extreme low end of product quality.

I'd be surprised if you could draw any more than 350 Watts from that CP-P600 power supply.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

You will notice that Cool Power doesn't provide that specification on its label. That would lead me to believe that it is actually very weak and would explain the problems your having with this cheap power supply unit.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Don't buy cheap generic power supplies. You will pay for that poor decision eventually in some way like system instability or even damaged components. Also, don't believe the customer reviews for those cheap products.
January 6, 2013 6:18:52 PM

Best answer selected by celhz.
a c 1109 ) Power supply
a c 84 Î Nvidia
January 6, 2013 6:37:55 PM

The Corsair Builder Series CX500 V2 (CP-9020047-NA), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card.

If you live in Canada you can try to get the rebate for that model by purchasing it from here:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76035&vpn=CP-9020047-...
!