Does a TV tuner record shows while you are away?

phunky_21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I'm wondering. I'll be using it with either dish network or direct tv. I'm wondering will it only record shows that are currently on or can you record shows like a DVR that are on an automatic timer and you don't have to be there or do anything extra in order to record it.

Solution
TV Tuner cards generally do not work with Satellite subscriptions; only free OTA broadcasts (NTSC/ATSC) and cable companies (ClearQAM). While you could use an HD Capture card like the Hauppauge Colossus, I don't think there is any way to set it up to record while you're away (one of the main functions of TV Tuner Cards).

-Wolf sends

phunky_21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Do you have any suggestions on which kind to buy? I just bought a new computer and plan on using the old one as a DVR(TV tuner). What is a good brand?

Or rather... would my new computer be better to use? I just don't want to put the extra load on my precious new equipment(it's still its in "my baby" phase). :)

It would be easy if you would like to record from the tuner (off-air). Recording from any settop box (Dish, DirectTV, Comcast etc) needs special tuner, with special software and harddware, able to "fool" said settop box to switch channels (unless you want to record a single channel and you set it in the morning).

Wolfshadw

Titan
TV Tuner cards generally do not work with Satellite subscriptions; only free OTA broadcasts (NTSC/ATSC) and cable companies (ClearQAM). While you could use an HD Capture card like the Hauppauge Colossus, I don't think there is any way to set it up to record while you're away (one of the main functions of TV Tuner Cards).

-Wolf sends

Solution

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Over the years I have always had great success with Hauppauge. They have many many models out there so you really need to decide on what features you want. The single tuner options are less expensive. I bought my two used/refurbished at an even better price but if you go down that path you need to make sure that they are compatible with your os (If Windows 7 go to the hardware compatibility page and look for the specific model). The other thing to be concerned about is that analog is no longer being broadcast so I would not recommend a used analog tuner.

This is incorrect. windows media center has supported scheduled satellite TV recording for years. You must use a satellite receiver, have an input into the tv, and a USB IR blaster that media center will use to change the channel on the satellite reciever. then you just pick series to record or record things off the schedule

Wolfshadw

Titan

Technically, this is true. However, the output (RF) you need to use on the set top box (satellite receiver) is downgraded to 480i. This does not look good when trying to display on an HDTV. Just getting a DVR from the satellite company would provide a better experience (IMO). This is based on my experience with a Comcast set top box and an AverMedia AVerTV PCI-E Combo White Box TV Tuner Card.

-Wolf sends