Icons

How can I convert .png and other image files into .ico or import into my
shell32.dll? I have several files that are used for icons but have a
different extension. I do not know if it is possible.Thanks, Southbound 35.
2 answers Last reply
More about icons

    Windows can use bmp as icons. Rename a bmp to ico for Windows dialogs to find it. bmp or ico are valid icon files but dialogs only expect ico.

    "Southbound 35" <Southbound35@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E03FBA0-73CA-4185-8260-ACF340B7697A@microsoft.com...
    > How can I convert .png and other image files into .ico or import into my
    > shell32.dll? I have several files that are used for icons but have a
    > different extension. I do not know if it is possible.Thanks, Southbound 35.

    Open your file in "paint" and save it as a bmp file. (or use an image
    converter for the same task). Then you simply change .bmp to .ico and it
    should work. Only bmp's will directly swap to ico files in my attempts. you
    may have to turn the file extenders on by unchecking the appropriate box in
    "folder options")
    Or purchase MicroAngelo or some other icon generator, which is similar to
    paint but specifically for icons and cursors.

    Hope this is helpful. I use MANY custom icons and it personallizes things
    quite well, but keep them in 1 folder, (which is added to the system 32
    folder) and change the icon on your folder, as it is the first place icon
    "browse" takes you, and you will see it easily amopng the manilla folders.
    Ya don't wanna be messin up your system 32 folders, so label it well.
    By keeping your icons together, you will find that boot-up speed is not
    greatly reduced.

    ps
    MicroAngelo will allow me to create a .icl (icon library) which only opens
    with its software, but it easily swaps to a .dll (dynamically loaded library)
    which Windows recognizes, so I can put an entire icon library in one icon to
    share with my friends.

    C-ya, Crazy

    "Southbound 35" wrote:

    > How can I convert .png and other image files into .ico or import into my
    > shell32.dll? I have several files that are used for icons but have a
    > different extension. I do not know if it is possible.Thanks, Southbound 35.

Configuration Microsoft Customization Icons Windows XP