$1000 Strictly Video Editing Build

Danocracy

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: This Month (August - September)

Budget Range: $1000.00/after rebates/After shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Strictly Video editing (Adobe after effects, high end special effects), Internet usage (Youtube, facebook, twitter)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: BestDirect.ca, DirectCanada.com

Parts Preferences: I believe I will need alot of RAM and alot of memory

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I am a video editor that is branching out to high end special effects. Right now i have a mac book pro but it is starting to slow down as it is 3 years old. I tend to hold onto my old footage in case of future need so it is starting to get slow due to low memory capacity. Also I would like to speed up rendering time in editing programs as I will have several running at the same time. Mac's may be the best bang for my buck but i'm not entirely sure. I feel i can get a sufficient enough PC that is more cost effective. Im not very picky on the OS because every program I have on my mac is transferable to PC anyways.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Faster computer for video editing/rendering

malbluff

Honorable
If you are talking about COMMERCIAL video/special effects (rather than hobby), I do think your budget is quite a bit "light". You can get away with quad-core i7 CPU, but, ideally, you should be looking at hex-core, which would use up two-thirds of your budget, on its own. Then you really need Quadro, or Firepro graphics, which don't come cheap. With Adobe software, you can use something like a GTX 570, or 580, but they're not really designed for the same sort of workload as the quadros. Add in other components which should be workstation standard, and you could easily spend twice your budget, if not more. You could put together something cheaper, but I doubt it would be much better than your Mac book, or, at least, a new one.

you should check out canada computers and ncix. ncix will put up a sale tonight at around 10-11pm so check out the deals

if you are rendering videos, the GPU wont be needed. but if you are rendering graphics or 3d work, you should invest in a workstation card like a quadro 2000 and above

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/epqc

a cheap quadro card would be the quadro 600 but it is not very powerful compared to the 2000.

i wouldnt buy the os since it costs only 50 bucks for ncix to build the system and it includes windows. the only thing now is that you have to find components at ncix, price match them if needed, and then place the order

if you want more advice, you can go to one of the ncix stores and they have a technician who will help you pick out components (since he is certified, and does this way more than most of us do)