Graphic card not working with monitor

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 3, 2012 7:42:35 PM

Okay so i bought a new GPU and PSU. The PSU works fine but when i tried to hook up the graphics card and turn on the computer, my monitor was blank and it made one beep. I take it out and it workds fine.

I believe i already have a graphics card built into my computer so i just put it the new graphics in too. I plugged my PSU into the new Graphics card. Im not sure what cable monitor i have but its blue and it isnt connected to my new graphics card because it is a different cable. Plus i never removed the software from the old GPU, idk if that makes a difference.

So do i need to get a new monitor cable or do is the GPU just a bad one? Sorry im really confused, so im probably not making much sense.

More about : graphic card working monitor

a c 208 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2012 7:47:42 PM

you have a vga cable (blue) the new video cards are white (dvi) there should be with the new video card an adaptor that goes from vga to dvi. if not your local radio shack or best buys or computer store will have them.
m
l
July 3, 2012 7:48:41 PM

First look in the box for the adapter in order to connect your VGA style cable to your graphics cards DVI connection. Here is a front and back look at a dvi/vga adapter http://cdn.avsforum.com/2/2b/2b0dd6f0_dvi2vga.jpeg

Once you get your computer booted up on the new graphics card you will need to install the new software for that card, as well as removing the software from your previous one.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 7:58:00 PM

vegettonox said:
First look in the box for the adapter in order to connect your VGA style cable to your graphics cards DVI connection. Here is a front and back look at a dvi/vga adapter http://cdn.avsforum.com/2/2b/2b0dd6f0_dvi2vga.jpeg

Once you get your computer booted up on the new graphics card you will need to install the new software for that card, as well as removing the software from your previous one.

It didnt come with an adapter :/ 
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:12:36 PM

Okay i need a DVI monitor cable so i think ill just get one from office depot. Hopefully that will fix it.
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:19:56 PM

WAIT, are you sure your monitor has a dvi port on it, some only have vga
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:28:02 PM

The port on the back of my computer looks like a dvi but it is white and has only a line at the end unlike the port on my GPU that has a cros and holes at the end. Are they the same?
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:29:12 PM

my old computer i had to go into bios and select pci in display options.
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:39:32 PM

How do i do that?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2012 8:59:17 PM

For now you have to either, buy a DVI cable or buy an adapter with the cross + 4 prongs to go from DVI to VGA.

I would just grab a DVI cable as long as its not to expensive. As for which one you might need to check this wiki to be absolutely sure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

(I'd do it for you but I'm leaving, sorry :(  )
m
l
!