VXZ

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
My current PC is the ASUS cg1330 AMD phenom II x6 2.6GHz. I frequently play video games on the PC, and have been content with it for the past year or so. I have started to notice that in some of my games, I am getting a little laggy, even while playing on low video settings. That said, I decided to upgrade a few pieces of my PC.
I have recently purchased the GTX 550 TI graphics card (as well as a 600W psu, because the 300W stock 1 would be hell), and a new CPU... The Phenom II x4 3.4 GHz 965 BE.
Will this be a major improvement... From 2.6 to 3.4+? And replacing the garbage Radeon 5500 that it came with.(I think that's it)
Also, I got a aftermarket CPU fan and cooling paste for OC( if that's even possible) I've read that the model PC I have is unable to change voltage and MHz multipliers... But would that originate with the MB or CPU?
Sorry if this is confusing and unorganized, just trying to see if I'm doing anything wrong!
The CPU fan I got is the Cooler Master 212+.
If the BIOS option is unavailable, I will be planning on using the software method(unless you guys tell me differently)

Thanks alot!

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the motherboard, branded PC's do that. The 550ti is indeed an upgrade,you'll notice the difference. The phenom x4 sadly,is not. The x4 BE 980,x6 BE or 8 core bulldozer would have been a bigger jump.

kcsmacker

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
the 550ti is a good upgrade I agree with All. However the phenom x4 at 3.4 will improve some games as most only use 2-4 cores. the old phenom you had probably never got to use all of its cores...ever. You could have overclock the old Phenom a bit but seeing as you have the new one and its a BE you can easily get it to 3.8-4 ghz depending if the motherboard is decent. the 212+ will really help with temps. Another good thing about that new PSU would be that you can add another 550ti if the motherboard allows it.(im guessing it may not though).