Nvidia 9800gt and 42" HD TV resolution issues

Reeko236

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hey guys. I recently built a new computer, so I decided to use my old rig as a HTPC. The PC has a 9800gt with the latest drivers, and I'm plugging in to a Emerson 42" 1080p via VGA. My resolution is at 1920x1080 and running windows/watching movies works great.

However, when I try to play some games, I get some pretty bad resolution errors. Upon opening dead space 2 the game appears to start but goes to a black screen where I am unable to select anything. ctrl alt del out and can only see the right half of the desktop. Obviously the resolution is way messed up. When I try to run GTA4 the TV goes blue and claims there is no input. ctrl alt del doesn't fix it, the input is completely lost and the PC must be restarted.

I do not feel that it is a problem with the TV, as I was able to play both games on the TV with my new rig that is sporting a HD6870. I have tried playing around with the nvidia control center but haven't had much luck. I figure that I could get it to work if I could change the resolution of the game, but whenever I start them I can't even see nor select anything in game. Any help regarding this situation would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Hello,

I did some searching and that cards max VGA resolution of 2048x1536.

However, the problem lies with the VGA cable as well as the RAMDAC on the card itself. It may or may not be able to display such a high resolution with an analogue (VGA) cable. VGA was originally meant to display 640x480. You can go higher - but it all depends on the quality of the components, and it may or may not even work.

You might want to try getting a HDMI cable if your 9800 supports it. If it doesn't have an HDMI cable - get a DVI -> HDMI converter to do so. This is the best way to display a signal from a PC as HDMI and DVI are completely digital, and unlike VGA, do not lose any quality with a conversion process.

Whats your exact card?