Getting a legacy program to load on modern computer

Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to use it
for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It is Generic
Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5" floppies and in DOS
(not a DOS window either). I have an old PII running W98SE on a 6GB HDD, so
I have a "real" DOS environment to load this thing in.
The problem is that when I go to load the prog it checks for hard drive
space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires 550,000 bytes to load and you
only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available on your hard drive. Please delete
some files to make room...." . Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an
impossibility to this dinosaur.
Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?
9 answers Last reply
More about getting legacy program load modern computer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:49:25 -0400, "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote:

    >I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to use it
    >for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It is Generic
    >Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5" floppies and in DOS
    >(not a DOS window either). I have an old PII running W98SE on a 6GB HDD, so
    >I have a "real" DOS environment to load this thing in.
    >The problem is that when I go to load the prog it checks for hard drive
    >space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires 550,000 bytes to load and you
    >only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available on your hard drive. Please delete
    >some files to make room...." . Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an
    >impossibility to this dinosaur.
    >Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?

    I would just install an old hard drive. Have you got any lying around?
    I always have a few 120 MB drives and also a P75 just for those
    programs which cycle through all their instructions in a nanosecond
    because they were designed for a 25 MHz computer.

    ---Atreju---
  2. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in

    > I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to
    > use it for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It
    > is Generic Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5"
    > floppies and in DOS (not a DOS window either). I have an old PII
    > running W98SE on a 6GB HDD, so I have a "real" DOS environment to load
    > this thing in. The problem is that when I go to load the prog it
    > checks for hard drive space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires
    > 550,000 bytes to load and you only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available
    > on your hard drive. Please delete some files to make room...." .
    > Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an impossibility to this dinosaur.
    > Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?

    Create a ramdrive.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    I do have a 120 and a 540 up in the attic. That would work. Thanks.

    "Atreju" <someone@who.hates.junkmail> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:49:25 -0400, "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to use
    >>it
    >>for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It is Generic
    >>Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5" floppies and in
    >>DOS
    >>(not a DOS window either). I have an old PII running W98SE on a 6GB HDD,
    >>so
    >>I have a "real" DOS environment to load this thing in.
    >>The problem is that when I go to load the prog it checks for hard drive
    >>space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires 550,000 bytes to load and you
    >>only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available on your hard drive. Please delete
    >>some files to make room...." . Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an
    >>impossibility to this dinosaur.
    >>Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?
    >>

    > I would just install an old hard drive. Have you got any lying around?
    > I always have a few 120 MB drives and also a P75 just for those
    > programs which cycle through all their instructions in a nanosecond
    > because they were designed for a 25 MHz computer.
    >

    > ---Atreju---
  4. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Can you install to floppy. In real dos A: and B: are different floppies logically so Dos will prompt you for A and B disks if you only have 1 floppy drive.

    a:\>install B:

    <will read A: then prompt>

    Insert Disk B:
    B:\>

    "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in message news:IbmdnSDPn6oLxSbfRVn-pA@conversent.net...
    >I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to use it
    > for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It is Generic
    > Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5" floppies and in DOS
    > (not a DOS window either). I have an old PII running W98SE on a 6GB HDD, so
    > I have a "real" DOS environment to load this thing in.
    > The problem is that when I go to load the prog it checks for hard drive
    > space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires 550,000 bytes to load and you
    > only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available on your hard drive. Please delete
    > some files to make room...." . Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an
    > impossibility to this dinosaur.
    > Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?

  5. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Ingeborg <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
    > "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in
    >
    > > I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to
    > > use it for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It
    > > is Generic Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5"
    > > floppies and in DOS (not a DOS window either). I have an old PII
    > > running W98SE on a 6GB HDD, so I have a "real" DOS environment to load
    > > this thing in. The problem is that when I go to load the prog it
    > > checks for hard drive space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires
    > > 550,000 bytes to load and you only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available
    > > on your hard drive. Please delete some files to make room...." .
    > > Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an impossibility to this dinosaur.
    > > Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?
    > >

    > Create a ramdrive.

    Good idea!

    xmsdsk.exe
  6. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    <replytoall@only.net> wrote:

    >I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to use it
    >for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It is Generic
    >Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5" floppies and in DOS
    >(not a DOS window either). I have an old PII running W98SE on a 6GB HDD, so
    >I have a "real" DOS environment to load this thing in.
    >The problem is that when I go to load the prog it checks for hard drive
    >space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires 550,000 bytes to load and you
    >only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available on your hard drive. Please delete
    >some files to make room...." . Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an
    >impossibility to this dinosaur.
    >Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?

    Are you installing to the default directory, c:\CADD6, or
    whatever it wants?

    I don't have a 6.0 to check but I just sucessfully installed
    Generic CADD 5.0 on Windows 98SE (Ver 4.10.222). The
    computer has 3G space on a 5G drive and it installed and
    runs in c:\CADD5. It didn't say if it was checking HD size.

    Tom Debski
  7. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Sparerep" <sparerepspam@notyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:49:25 -0400, "BP"
    > <replytoall@only.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to use
    >>it
    >>for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It is Generic
    >>Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5" floppies and in
    >>DOS
    >>(not a DOS window either). I have an old PII running W98SE on a 6GB HDD,
    >>so
    >>I have a "real" DOS environment to load this thing in.
    >>The problem is that when I go to load the prog it checks for hard drive
    >>space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires 550,000 bytes to load and you
    >>only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available on your hard drive. Please delete
    >>some files to make room...." . Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an
    >>impossibility to this dinosaur.
    >>Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?
    >>

    > Are you installing to the default directory, c:\CADD6, or
    > whatever it wants?
    >
    > I don't have a 6.0 to check but I just sucessfully installed
    > Generic CADD 5.0 on Windows 98SE (Ver 4.10.222). The
    > computer has 3G space on a 5G drive and it installed and
    > runs in c:\CADD5. It didn't say if it was checking HD size.
    >
    > Tom Debski

    Can't explain it. Maybe v5 is not v6. Maybe your computer's or OS's config
    is different than mine.

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:10:21 -0400, "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote:

    >"Sparerep" <sparerepspam@notyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:49:25 -0400, "BP"
    >> <replytoall@only.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to use
    >>>it
    >>>for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It is Generic
    >>>Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5" floppies and in
    >>>DOS
    >>>(not a DOS window either). I have an old PII running W98SE on a 6GB HDD,
    >>>so
    >>>I have a "real" DOS environment to load this thing in.
    >>>The problem is that when I go to load the prog it checks for hard drive
    >>>space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires 550,000 bytes to load and you
    >>>only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available on your hard drive. Please delete
    >>>some files to make room...." . Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an
    >>>impossibility to this dinosaur.
    >>>Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?
    >>>

    >> Are you installing to the default directory, c:\CADD6, or
    >> whatever it wants?
    >>
    >> I don't have a 6.0 to check but I just sucessfully installed
    >> Generic CADD 5.0 on Windows 98SE (Ver 4.10.222). The
    >> computer has 3G space on a 5G drive and it installed and
    >> runs in c:\CADD5. It didn't say if it was checking HD size.
    >>
    >> Tom Debski
    >
    >Can't explain it. Maybe v5 is not v6. Maybe your computer's or OS's config
    >is different than mine.

    It wouldn't be the first time an older version of a program was less
    fussy about its install environment than a newer version! In the days
    of the dinosaurs, many programs didn't check the install environment
    at all - they just crashed spectacularly if you didn't have what they
    needed!!

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

  9. Archived from groups: alt.windows98,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "BP" <replytoall@only.net> wrote in message
    >I have a need to use an old CADD program that I have (I only need to use it
    >for a short time to convert some files to AutoCadd format). It is Generic
    >Cadd 6.0 from the middle ages (1994). It loads from 3.5" floppies and in
    >DOS (not a DOS window either). I have an old PII running W98SE on a 6GB
    >HDD, so I have a "real" DOS environment to load this thing in.
    > The problem is that when I go to load the prog it checks for hard drive
    > space and reports: "Generic Cadd 6 requires 550,000 bytes to load and you
    > only have 3,400,000,000 bytes available on your hard drive. Please delete
    > some files to make room...." . Obviously 3 billion Kbytes is an
    > impossibility to this dinosaur.
    > Anyone know of a trick I can use to get this thing to load?

    You need to give it a smaller space. Either fill up the drive with something
    or shrink the partition or create a small partition for it. or go find a
    little hard drive. Or...sometimes it's just a matter of the program seeing
    the "0,000,000" as the available space because it doesn't understand
    anything larger. So if you add something to the drive so that the remaining
    space is 3, 399,999.999, the program will actually see the "9,999,999" and
    think there's sufficient space.

Configuration Hard Drives Windows XP