Sign in with
Your question

Dvd stutters when playing on TV

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2013 1:19:57 PM

Hello,
I have burned a 22 minute video of still photographs and audio on a DVD+RW using an LG GP10NB20 burner, Windows movie maker and Windows XP.
When I play the DVD on my TV it stutters. The audio and to a lesser extent, the video stops and starts through the entire clip. Eventually every thing freezes for a couple of seconds. Then it will play ok for a bit before the stuttering starts again. It is like it has take take a couple of seconds to catch up.
The DVD plays without stuttering on my computer.
I got in touch with LG and was told to reinstall the drivers and get rid of my LowerFilters (I had no UpperFilters to remove). This solution may or may not have helped -- but if it did it was not enough.
At this point I am not sure where the problem is: with the burner? with compression or some other settings?, with the DVD player? or something else. How I can I get the DVD to play smoothly on my TV?

More about : dvd stutters playing

January 6, 2013 2:53:45 PM

khz57 said:
Hello,
I have burned a 22 minute video of still photographs and audio on a DVD+RW using an LG GP10NB20 burner, Windows movie maker and Windows XP.
When I play the DVD on my TV it stutters. The audio and to a lesser extent, the video stops and starts through the entire clip. Eventually every thing freezes for a couple of seconds. Then it will play ok for a bit before the stuttering starts again. It is like it has take take a couple of seconds to catch up.
The DVD plays without stuttering on my computer.
I got in touch with LG and was told to reinstall the drivers and get rid of my LowerFilters (I had no UpperFilters to remove). This solution may or may not have helped -- but if it did it was not enough.
At this point I am not sure where the problem is: with the burner? with compression or some other settings?, with the DVD player? or something else. How I can I get the DVD to play smoothly on my TV?

Does the DVD play fine on your computer? Have you tried playing the DVD on a different DVD player? If the DVD plays fine on a different DVD player then maybe you could use a different brand of recordable media. Occasionally some DVD/BluRay players do not like certian brands of recordable/rewritable media.
m
l
January 6, 2013 3:13:18 PM

BwwwJ1st said:
Does the DVD play fine on your computer? Have you tried playing the DVD on a different DVD player? If the DVD plays fine on a different DVD player then maybe you could use a different brand of recordable media. Occasionally some DVD/BluRay players do not like certian brands of recordable/rewritable media.

It does play fine on my computer.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 3:22:45 PM

I had wondered if playing the DVD successfully on the TV would require a change in something I should/could change during the burning process. Compression? Resolution?
Obviously I am in over my head at this point in knowing if there was anything I could do short of buying (yet another) DVD player.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:30:53 PM

khz57 said:
I had wondered if playing the DVD successfully on the TV would require a change in something I should/could change during the burning process. Compression? Resolution?
Obviously I am in over my head at this point in knowing if there was anything I could do short of buying (yet another) DVD player.

Before you buy a ned DVD player, I suggest trying a different brand of recordable/rewritable disc, for example Verbatim. You could also switch up on the type of recordable/rewritable disc used. If you used a DVD-R then use a DVD+R next burn.
m
l
January 6, 2013 9:31:29 PM

BwwwJ1st said:
Before you buy a ned DVD player, I suggest trying a different brand of recordable/rewritable disc, for example Verbatim. You could also switch up on the type of recordable/rewritable disc used. If you used a DVD-R then use a DVD+R next burn.

I did dig up an older DVD player and the disc played with only a couple of minor hiccups. Funny since I had retired this machine because it gave so much trouble with pre-recorded purchased discs of television shows. DVDs make me crazy.

The +RW I have been using is a Maxell as is a -R that I have yet to try. If I get a Verbatim +R in addition maybe I can get the original clip to play on our current player yet.

Thanks for your continued advice.
m
l
!