New system won't POST.

Zelkarr

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I Purchased all the parts last Saturday from a memory express store (August 18th i believe).

Parts List is as follows;

Case
Cooler Master HAF 922

Power Supply
Corsair TX850

MotherBoard
Asus p8z68-v/Gen3

CPU
i7-3770k. 3.5ghz/8mb

RAM (2x 4GB)
Corsair Vengence 8gb DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel.

Graphics Card
EVGA GeForce 660ti 2GB GDDR5

Hard Drives
HyperX 3K series SATA 3 SSD
Seagate 1TB Barracuda

I did not overclock anything.

So i bought it got it all together, hooked up to a monitor and nothing, there is no output. I know the monitor works ive used it before, i also tried it on another monitor just to be sure and the same thing happened.

everything seems to power up fine, no errors, no beeps, nothing.

I have done and checked and rechecked just about everything i can think of but im kinda burnt out maybe someone here will have a suggestion that hasnt crossed my mind.

I have tested everything, the motherboard has error leds and everything comes up fine acording to the MOBO so idk maybe its the motherboard itself?

Memory express has a policy where if they don't install the RAM and CPU themselves then it voids there store warranties so i let them install those and i checked them and they seem fine, again no error LEDs.

I tested the RAM, i took it all out and tried one at a time and ive tried them in differnt slots and it had no effect.

I tried running the video initially out of the GTX with same result i then switched the monitor to the motherboard onboard video to try and make it simpler for trouble shooting.

like i said Pretty much everything.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Zelkarr

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
ive tried that guide, it didn't help.

Yes ive removed the graphics card and i am plugged directly into the motherboard but its through an adapter than came with the board my monitor doesnt have the right plug i guess its not actually DVI in the mother board it converts from DVI to something else, but I thought that was it too i tried it on another monitor through HDMI and there was no signal as well.

also its not even posting so its not even getting to the point of showing a display there is no beeps or anything when the computer starts.

dingo07

Distinguished

It's clear you don't have it connected properly. The MB has all 3 Video connections possible - HDMI, DVI, Or VGA - there's no reason you should have an adapter connected to a cable.

Have you read the manual Page 2-28 ATX Power connectors?

Zelkarr

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

Sorry yea like i said im burnt out bee at it a few days the motherboard doesnt actually use an adapter, that is the graphics card that has the adapter. The mother board does have the proper ports.

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
When Diagnosing Boot issues, You need to verify some basic stuff is working. Plus, Its a good idea to remove the components from the case and place on an antistatic work pad, or Bench mount.

I would start by Removing all the components. Disassemble the primary components.

Setup your system in this configuration first.

Powersupply - Test your psu. On another compatible system if necessary, a PSU tester is recommended, although they cannot provide load testing.

Motherboard - Reinstall the CPU, Take it out, Examine the Socket, look for bent pins or debris.

CPU - Examine the CPU, check for lack of indentations on the surface of the CPU, this may indicate the CPU is not Docking with the Motherboard correctly. If installed correctly, you should see a sign of Pin-to-surface contact. Reinstall the CPU, don't be hasty. Make sure your Motherboard is as Horizontal as possible, be careful not to load the cpu compression plate to quickly. Install the HSF (Heat Sink/Fan) Assembly with a small amount of thermal compound. Spread evenly Hotspots=bad.

Connect the 24PIN Main connector and the 8Pin Aux Power Connector. Connect you Power cable to the PSU. Connect a Speaker to the Appropriate Header Pins so you can hear error beeps.

Identify with your Motherboard manual which 2 Pins on your Pin Header are the Power Switch, then close the gap with a metal filament or connect the Switch from you PC Case and Trigger the Motherboard to start. You should get some kind of beep error. That is ok, it is expected. This verifies that the basic system is performing diagnostics which we need it to do. Note the Beep codes and reference the manual, the first code should be Ram not found. Power the system off.

Next connect your Monitor cable, and Install your RAM into the Slots Labeled DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2.

Power the System back on. If your system post's, GG your Good to go. If it gives you an error message, refer to the manual for error codes and reply here accordingly.

If your system Will not Power on after your First power attempt, Disconnect the Power Supply, Remove the CMOS battery, and go have a coffee. Take about 5 minutes, it will be the longest five minutes ever, but your system needs time to clear. Don't rely on the CMOS clear for this proceedure.

Replace the CMOS Battery, Connect the Power Supply and Trigger the Motherboard again.

If you still have trouble reply here.

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Contacting ASUS to Walk through the BIOS update proceedure is recommended, RMA'ing the Motherboard would be preffered if you don't have an old CPU to boot the board with. According to ASUS you need BIOS Rev.3201 or later.

Also you might check to see if there is a local computer store that can do this for you.

Zelkarr

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Normally updating the bios isnt an issue but If i cant post with this cpu, if the problem is that my bios is out of date is the only way to update it to swap out the cpu for something that will work, update it then switch back?

and i can take it to memory express and theyll fix it for free but it takes like 3-5 days which prolly would be better seeing as thats about how long ive spent.

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007

Yes that is correct. Going through Memory Express is probably a faster solution than Doing an RMA with the manufacturer.

Zelkarr

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

No I don't the only CPU I might have around is probably at least 10 years old.

I can take it back and they will fix it but I was hoping to do it myself