Upgrade graphics card of a very old P4 machine

Hi,

This might be funny but I wan't to try this. I have a pentium 4 3.0GHz machine with a radeon x1950 pro on it. I have not used it for over 3 years, I have been busy and used the laptop. I am not a big gamer, I only play RTS games like Company of Heroes and Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

I remember I couldn't set the graphics to high on the x1950 pro, it lagged a lot. At that time 8800gtx was the top card which supposedly could be used for highest graphics settings for CoH. I am not bothered about newer games and just want to play Company of Heroes and Flight Simulator X again.

So I can get a cheap used 8800gtx, 9800 gtx, gtx 260 or HD 4870 - all fairly old now and not much difference in price between them. I know my P4 CPU will bottleneck probably all of the cards but it still should be much better than the x1950 pro. I am thinking about getting either the gtx 260 or HD 4870 because they are comparatively newer and probably be in fresher condition as I will get a used one.

So which card should I get? Thank for any help :)

I will be using Windows XP as the PC have only 1GB RAM. The PSU should not be any problem as I have a Thermaltake ToughPower 750W.
11 answers Last reply
More about upgrade graphics card machine
  1. It would be a waste because of your CPU. I have a system with a Pentium 4 540J @ 3.6GHz and even that CPU bottlenecks the overclocked GeForce 7900 GS it runs with. With that said your CPU is bottlenecking your X1950 Pro, getting a new card would make things no better.

F.Y.I. The GeForce 7900 GS is weaker than the X1950 Pro.
  2. You possibly are right. I just wanted to give it a go because not all games are CPU intensive. Thanks for the reply.
  3. Is your Pentium 4 a Socket 478 or Socket 775?
  4. bkoop said:
    Is your Pentium 4 a Socket 478 or Socket 775?

Socket 775. The mobo is Gigabyte 915G Duo

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1856#ov
  5. Bummer, none of the Core 2 Duo CPUs are supported.
  6. Gamespot lists the following:

Recommended System Requirements
    System:3.6 GHz CPU or equivalent
    RAM:2048 MB
    Video Memory:512 MB
    Hard Drive Space:14000 MB

So upgrading from 1GB to 2GB might do the trick. You got a pair of 512MB or one 1GB?
  7. bkoop said:
    Gamespot lists the following:

Recommended System Requirements
    System:3.6 GHz CPU or equivalent
    RAM:2048 MB
    Video Memory:512 0
    Hard Drive Space:14000 MB

So upgrading from 1GB to 2GB might do the trick. You got a pair of 512MB or one 1GB?

I got a pair of 512MB. Nothing going right lol. But possibly can get a pair of 1GB very cheap. The mobo supports both DDR and DDR2 RAM but not at the same time.

Now I am thinking of giving it a go with 9800GTX / 8800GTX which goes about £35 on ebay, so worth a try. GTX 260 / HD 4870 are about £55-£60 so it seems there is no point getting them.

On the x1950pro I used to get about 40 fps at Company of Heroes(medium graphics settings, no AA). But sometimes when there was a large battle it became 10-11 fps, even halting for a second(the sound also) possibly because of the CPU.
  8. The X1950 Pro comes in both a 256MB version and a 512MB version, which one you got?
  9. bkoop said:
    The X1950 Pro comes in both a 256MB version and a 512MB version, which one you got?

256MB Sapphire. it has a known overheating issue, everyone has the problem.
  10. The RAM and the video card would give your CPU a fighting chance.

I use Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart to make sure I get an upgrade.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
  11. bkoop said:
    The RAM and the video card would give your CPU a fighting chance.

I use Tom's Hardware Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart to make sure I get an upgrade.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

I also think so. It should give me the high graphics setting if not more fps! I will give it a go. Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics