FX6100 or i3 3220

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerial13

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I'm leaning towards the i3 at the moment, since i'm building a computer from scratch anyway. I know intel seems to be the no-brainer choice for pure gaming now, but since I dabble a bit in music production (mainly using DAWs like Renoise) and some Photoshop, there's a bit of that minor concern.

I guess my question is, which is the better overall choice for the same budget? Is FX6100 really that worse than i3 3220 in gaming? And the inverse case, is the i3 still better than the FX6100 for other CPU-intensive tasks outside gaming?

I didn't mention FX6300 as I limited my choices to easily purchasable parts from where I live, in case anyone's wondering.

Yea and? For gaming the Sandy Bridges I3 and Ivy Bridges I3 stomp the Bulldozer in games. It even beat out the so called flagship "8 core" processor. Bullcrapper was so bad it got beaten out by the older Phenom II it was suppose to replace.

cerial13

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
I don't know if it's relevant in any way but i'm planning to get the 7850 with this, so it's gaming at relatively modest settings i'm looking at. Still, if it's just a loss of <10% fps in games or something, I really wouldn't mind getting the more versatile processor.

As I already said though, I would've gotten the i3 hands down if I was planning to use this solely for gaming, but some of the music software I use might be a bit CPU-heavy so i'm having second thoughts.

10 fps can be alot. What if in game "x" you are getting 55-60 fps with another processor. Now put in the Bulldozer and lose 10 fps you are looking at 45-50 fps. That for me is not acceptable. Also lets say down the road you want to upgrade to a more powerful video card like a 7970. The Bulldozer will bottleneck high-end video cards that is a fact proven through benchmarks.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
If he has the money in the future for a 7970. I'm sure he'll have the money to upgrade his CPU & Motherboard aswell. He's asking which CPU is best for his budget at the moment , which I would say is the AMD FX.

And I disagree and would say you are very wrong especially you look at the bench marks and see just how bad the Bulldozer was. The I3 is not that much more expensive a measly 10 dollars. It is pretty much the same price and out performs the Bulldozer so why would anyone in their right mind get a Bulldozer. If he said Piledriver that would be different but for a crappy Bulldozer I wouldn't take it if they were giving it away.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
If this is just a gaming rig and you are planning on running every stock, I would go with the i3.

If you are doing rendering/video or music encoding/wanting to overclock like mad, I would go with the FX chip.

So it's his choice of what he wants. But the Piledriver is a better choice.

alec3601

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
i would definitely get the Intel they have been making processors alot longer than AMD don't be fooled by amd's cheap processors and ton of cores cause amd has not perfected the use of those yet while intel has, intel's lowest 3rd gen quad core i7's smoke the amd fx-8350 EIGHT core @ 4.0ghz, if that doesnt say something then i dont know what will

Tman450

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Trust me when i say the i7 isn't SMOKING my processor.

Piledriver performs better in certain areas, but not in most.

i just couldnt justify paying 120 dollars more for performance only seen in synthetic benchmarks. (for what i do, at least.)

According to passmark, my FX-8320 @4.0 Ghz(FX-8350) scores -23% better than the i7 3770k at Integer Math.

It gives the same score than the 3770k on floating point and prime numbers.

-5% worse than 3770k at compression

-15% worse at encryption

7.3% better CPU physics score

same score on sorting

-45% worse single-threaded. yeah, i know. :(

My score: 9358 @ 4.0 Ghz FX-8320.

3770K is considered 10% better, scores a thousand points higher.

i5 3570k scores a few thousand points lower

Also, remember AMD 64 days? yeah, i said it.

First of all we are talking about Bulldozer and not Piledriver. Also you are wrong about your CPU. In single threaded programs the I5/I7 beats the Bulldozer and Piledriver. In multi threaded programs the Piledriver beats the I5 as it should but does not beat the I7 in the majority of programs. Also if you are using passmark as a way to justify your buy you are fooling yourself. Passmark is a joke and is not a legitimate benchmarking website. They take results from end users which can easily be skewed by bias or fanboyism. There is nothing scientific or exact about he process. It is about as reliable as the "reviews" on NewEgg. If you are choosing between an I5 and Piledrier for gaming the I5 is the best choice. If you are building for heavy CPU work the I7 is better.

Tman450

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

i didn't use the website, i benchmarked it myself. how the **** can my score be the result of fanboyism or bias?

OFC intel wins single-threaded. did you even read my benchmarking score?

please run passmark's CPU bench on your system, for comparison

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

I agree with you, AMD is cheaper & sometimes better for most people since it's cheap and isn't smoked by intel much. rds1220 is a bit of a intel fan boy eh? Everything I say is from an unbiased point of view.

Tman450

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you. i mean, i'm not kidding myself. your build with the 3930K will smoke anything AMD has to offer, provided you have a big budget.

But it is overkill for anyone not doing super CPU-intensive stuff. and it doesn't make you an Intel fanboy

Pff fanboy, no try a realist that calls it like I see it. If someone wanted to spend money on inferior hardware that is just good enough that is their business. For me good enough is not good enough and will not buy an AMD CPU.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

Okay if you say so Mr. Nothing is good enough apart from intel

:pfff:. GO back and read what I said earlier. I said if it was a Piledriver vs Sandy Bridges I3 it would be different but Bulldozer vs I3 the I3 is the no brainer IMO. I don't know why anyone would waste money of a Bulldozer CPU it would be like getting a Phenom I over a Core CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS