Sign in with
Your question

GPU replacement didnt fix stability. NEED HELP!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2012 12:20:17 AM

Hello all,
I recently replaced my crossfired 4850s for a 4870 in order to increase PC performance and hopefully ditch a number of presumed driver issues (that have been plaguing my computer for some time now) at the same time. The good news is that with the addition of my new GPU(and some ram) my rig is noticeably quicker and able to play BF3 and Total war full settings no problem. The bad news however is that My computer still crashes and has applications crash on a daily basis.

Symptoms: Im playing BF3 with no hickups when all of a sudden the game closes and i get notice that Bf3 has stopped working. I go to internet explorer to look for advice and soon enough that has stopped responding as well. At first I turn a blind eye to this, hoping it will go away, but again it happens to Shogun and I cant ignore it no more!
-Looking for the cause of all this *** is impossible too, as my system hasnt been too stable since the beginning. Also there are so many hints to chase that i end up in a dark alley every time. For instince BF3 shut down once because (rundll32) stopped working; causing me to look at registry gaffes, and the next day BF3 crashes (after a brilliant explosion of colorful lines and dots and eerie noises) and is followed by hte Ol' "your amd driver has stopped working and has responded" message; BUT I JUST GOT A NEW GPU

PLEASE somebody give me some advice here. i basically narrowed the issue down to being a harddrive problem or a problem with my Windows. Honestly any adivice is appreciated, and ill be eagerly responding to your questions soon
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 12:23:33 AM

Can you list your system specs?

Also, have you updated your graphics driver?
July 4, 2012 12:38:01 AM

windows 7 64 bit
radeon hd 7850 2gb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) The display adapter driver version is 8.961.0.0 (suspiciusly has stayed the same over time)
8gb ddr3
MOBO: ASRock 870 Exreme3
AMD Phenon iix3 720

and no i havnt installed a new driver i dont think, just the one that came with the 7850 about a week ago. this same error happened with my 4850s though, even after many driver unistillations and instillations
Related resources
July 4, 2012 12:38:41 AM

if you need more info let me know
btw i just updated my driver and ill take it as a good omen that the obove-stated 8.961.0.0 just turned to 8.980.0.0 ... A fool hope that somethings fixed
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 12:50:18 AM

Hi ebobwiz

I was using HD5770 in crossfire but received much the same frustrating errors.

I received the display driver stopped working error quite often and traced it back to a poor power supply while overclocking (even though I was using a good Corsair 750W my mobo was not stable enough for my overclock) Another issue I had relating to this driver error was the GDDR on the GPU was overheating (without even overclocking) and I needed to put on ramsinks.

Just a couple of ideas, and I feel for you..
Fungi
a c 99 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 1:07:14 AM

There is a new 12.6 driver (not BETA). Try updating it.

If you still have issues try the 12.7 BETA driver. Post back on what happens.
July 4, 2012 1:12:47 AM

fantastik250 said:
There is a new 12.6 driver (not BETA). Try updating it.

If you still have issues try the 12.7 BETA driver. Post back on what happens.

I think i did isntall this one, the 150.4 mb one.
July 4, 2012 1:15:08 AM

funguseater said:
Hi ebobwiz

I was using HD5770 in crossfire but received much the same frustrating errors.

I received the display driver stopped working error quite often and traced it back to a poor power supply while overclocking (even though I was using a good Corsair 750W my mobo was not stable enough for my overclock) Another issue I had relating to this driver error was the GDDR on the GPU was overheating (without even overclocking) and I needed to put on ramsinks.

Just a couple of ideas, and I feel for you..
Fungi

I did at one point suspect my PSU because I had Kernel Power problems, but other forums suggest it should be powerful enough to run everything. I have an XFX 650 watt psu im pretty sure. And ya my pain knows no bounds hahahaha
!