Homebuilt computer not turning on, please help

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
i built a new computer and thought i was doing everything right and now it wont turn on, i had all the front panel switches in 90degrees the wrong way and tried to turn it on, and nothing happended, then found out how they are supposed to go in, did it the right way and still nothing, no power, everything was prebuilt

CASE THERMALTAKE VO200M1W2N RT

GFX gtx 670 FTW

MB ASROCK|Z77 EXTREME6 Z77 1155 R

CPU INTEL|CORE I7 3770K 3.5G 8M R

PSU CORSAIR|850W CMPSU-850TXV2 R

SSD 128G|CRUCIAL CT128M4SSD2CCA R

MEM 4Gx2|G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

MS WIN 7 HOME SP1 64BIT 1PK - OEM

Solution
When Diagnosing Boot issues, You need to verify some basic stuff is working. Plus, Its a good idea to remove the components from the case and place on an antistatic work pad, or Bench mount.

I would start by Removing all the components. Disassemble the primary components.

Setup your system in this configuration first.

Powersupply - Test your psu. On another compatible system if necessary, a PSU tester is recommended, although they cannot provide load testing.

Motherboard - Reinstall the CPU, Take it out, Examine the Socket, look for bent pins or debris.

CPU - Examine the CPU, check for lack of indentations on the surface of the CPU, this may indicate the CPU is not Docking with the Motherboard correctly. If installed correctly...

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Make sure your Powersupply Switch is in the On Position on the back of the Powersupply. You may also need to attach a Molex Power Connector to the Motherboard Next to your Graphics card as well.
Clearing the CMOS may help as well.
Refer to Page 38 of your Manual for Steps on how to Reset the CMOS.

I will post further troubleshooting steps in the next post if this doesn't help

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
When Diagnosing Boot issues, You need to verify some basic stuff is working. Plus, Its a good idea to remove the components from the case and place on an antistatic work pad, or Bench mount.

I would start by Removing all the components. Disassemble the primary components.

Setup your system in this configuration first.

Powersupply - Test your psu. On another compatible system if necessary, a PSU tester is recommended, although they cannot provide load testing.

Motherboard - Reinstall the CPU, Take it out, Examine the Socket, look for bent pins or debris.

CPU - Examine the CPU, check for lack of indentations on the surface of the CPU, this may indicate the CPU is not Docking with the Motherboard correctly. If installed correctly, you should see a sign of Pin-to-surface contact. Reinstall the CPU, don't be hasty. Make sure your Motherboard is as Horizontal as possible, be careful not to load the cpu compression plate to quickly. Install the HSF (Heat Sink/Fan) Assembly with a small amount of thermal compound. Spread evenly Hotspots=bad.

Connect the 24PIN Main connector and the 8Pin Aux Power Connector. Connect you Power cable to the PSU. Connect a Speaker to the Appropriate Header Pins so you can hear error beeps.

Identify with your Motherboard manual which 2 Pins on your Pin Header are the Power Switch, then close the gap with a metal filament or connect the Switch from you PC Case and Trigger the Motherboard to start. You should get some kind of beep error. That is ok, it is expected. This verifies that the basic system is performing diagnostics which we need it to do. Note the Beep codes and reference the manual, the first code should be Ram not found. Power the system off.

Next connect your Monitor cable, and Install your RAM into the Slots Labeled DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1.

Power the System back on. If your system post's, GG your Good to go. If it gives you an error message, refer to the manual for error codes and reply here accordingly.

If your system Will not Power on after your First power attempt, Disconnect the Power Supply, Remove the CMOS battery, and go have a coffee. Take about 5 minutes, it will be the longest five minutes ever, but your system needs time to clear. Don't rely on the CMOS clear for this proceedure.

Replace the CMOS Battery, Connect the Power Supply and Trigger the Motherboard again.

Solution

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
GOt it working fine now, one connector was keeping it from powering up, i just removed it, now the only thing left to do is install my current HD into my new rig, how will my files and everything work when its installed? i want to be able to play a game tonight on steam, thank you all for the help

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

If you use a harddrive pre-installed with windows, it has a 50% chance of working, because Windows 7 doesnt like to move from one motherboard to another.

If you get a bluescreen and restart when you get to the "Starting Windows" screen, its because of Windows being transfered from one Mobo to the next.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Ok the problem im having now is i cant get access to some files, i eventually got some access to them and the user files by enabling all permissions except special permissions but i still cant get access to program files, program files x86 and windows what do i have to do? (had an error message saying i cant get permissions to those files, i can still look at them but when i try to run an application it says it missing a file)
And when i install steam will i have to move the files from my HD to my 128 gb SSD?? cuz im not gonna have room for all the steam games that i have.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
also ive tried installing steam and it starts installing but then stops at very close to the end, the install meter wont finish, and im pretty sure it doesnt take that long to install 1.5 mb. I tried exiting and restarting computer bcuz everytime i would exit out of install and retry it would say the steam files are still in use even tho the application isnt running. i even tried uninstalling and it still gets stuck and wont move, its really frustrating me

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
After a bunch of restarts and new installs i got steam installed, but now its asking me to redownload all my games, when all my games are on my other HD, how do i fix this?

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Try moving them, if you dont want to do that, try just running them on the other HDD.
Edit: If you have it in RAID, it should launch from the HDD the games were installed on.