neongreen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I am building a PC primarily for video editing ( after effects, Premiere pro ), 3D work ( Maya, 3DS Max ) and almost all of Adobe's other products ( Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc)

I plan on running 2-3 monitors, and I am stuck between these two cards. The 7850 runs more monitors and has better specs all across the board, but the GTX 570 is said to be more powerful as well as having CUDA cores, which are used to accelerate Adobe products. Does anyone know if OpenCL is just as supported, or any recommendations on which to buy ?

Thank you ! :)

well, here it is, straight from adobe: OpenCL is supported for Premiere pro just short of a few things:
http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2012/05/opencl-and-premiere-pro-cs6.html

I couldn't find such detailed information on after effects aside from adobe saying CS6 after effects supports OpenCL.

as for Maya, most of the rendering etc is done by the CPU so it doesn't matter.

overall, I think if you have Adobe CS6, the 7850 is a better pick with better specs for your line of work and lower power consumption. if you have an older version of the software, I would definitely go with the 570

it's a close call whichever one you get, but:

- the 7850 has more vram
- the 7850 will consume less power
- ther GTX 570 is faster
- the GTX 570 has CUDA, PhysX, and arguably better drivers
- depending on what games you play, one card or the other might be "better" for you

but he's not playing games... :pfff:

Punkeyboozter

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

Lol copy and paste for all the same the same answers. must be tired of getting the same questions

neongreen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks for your input guys ! I will be doing some light gaming ( my brother plays starcraft and I play team fortress 2 from time to time but my laptop with integrated graphics can run both those games so I'm not worried )

Will OpenCL be supported more in the future, do you think? And what would you say in the VRAM vs Speed in the applications I am using ?

Thanks again !

Punkeyboozter

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Not sure of your questions bro, but I suspect in the real world they are all very close.

I just picked up a Asus 570 during lunch as I have had bad experiences with ATI cards and had to take them all back the same day. Whatever you choose I have a feeling you will not really notice a performance difference.

If you still cant make up your mind here are some other criteria you could add just to make things more complicated :)

1> Looks
2> Price
3> Brand support