How to disable collapsing/expanding menus?

I'm assuming this is an XP thing because I don't remember having this
with any previous versions of Windows...

On all my menus, including the Start menu, the menus in Word, and other
programs, they only show a list of the most recently used items.
There's a double-arrow pointing downward at the end of the list, and if
you click on it or hover over it for a couple seconds, the menu will
expand and show everything that's in there.

Is there any way to disable this feature? I find it extremely
annoying. I liked it much better when I could just hover over
"Programs" in the Start menu and see *all* of my programs, or click on
"Tools" in Word and see *all* of the tools.

If anyone knows if there's a way to disable this collapsing/expanding
feature, I'd really appreciate it!

--
saewylf

Hi Saewylf,

Go to...

START > Control Panel > Internet Options

Then click the "Advanced" tab

Scroll down and uncheck "Enable Personalized Favourites Menu"

Hope this helps

Andy

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:07:05 +0000, saewylf wrote:

> I'm assuming this is an XP thing because I don't remember having this
> with any previous versions of Windows...
>
> On all my menus, including the Start menu, the menus in Word, and other
> programs, they only show a list of the most recently used items.
> There's a double-arrow pointing downward at the end of the list, and if
> you click on it or hover over it for a couple seconds, the menu will
> expand and show everything that's in there.
>
> Is there any way to disable this feature? I find it extremely
> annoying. I liked it much better when I could just hover over
> "Programs" in the Start menu and see *all* of my programs, or click on
> "Tools" in Word and see *all* of the tools.
>
> If anyone knows if there's a way to disable this collapsing/expanding
> feature, I'd really appreciate it!

What you are describing are referred to as "personalized menus." If this
menu type is supported, programs will have their own settings for turning
it on or off. You've already received replies about how to disable this in
Word and Internet Explorer.

For the start menu, there are two settings possibly related. One is for
personalized menus. The other is whether to show multiple columns for long
lists or a single column that scrolls. Right click the Start button and
select Properties.

XP Style menu: Click Customize and uncheck the box to scroll programs. (No
personalized menu setting for this style since the XP start panel lists
most often used programs.)

XP Classic style menu: Uncheck box to scroll programs and box to use
personalized menus.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

For MS Word do this:

Tools/Customize/Options check "Always show full menus".