To buy or not to buy, that is the question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
September 10, 2005 2:26:49 AM

Konica Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 7D - $AU300 cash back until December 31st.
Must be another model coming out and they want to clear the current model.
I'd love more megapixels, but the price is essentially as low as it will
ever be for the 7D. I want to gradually go semi-pro, you know, weddings,
exhibits, stock photography. Do I hold out and hope for more or do I go the
7D now????? I hate waiting but can't afford to get the wrong camera for me
(the missus wouldn't like it either). I have the lens system so changing
right now is far too expensive for me.
Any guesses how long before the next models, ie 9D or 8D etc come out? I
noted that the 7D came out in January, so maybe that's the time for it next
year?

Itchin' for a digital but do I or don't I blow my hard earned cash!!!!?

More about : buy buy question

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:26:50 AM

Go for the 7D for now and stick with it for about 3 years...after which the
models which come out next year/year after will have dropped in price enough
to be a reasonable upgrade buy.

And don't forget that for any pro work it's always best to have two : )

"Jasen" <jasen_anderson@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Konica Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 7D - $AU300 cash back until December 31st.
> Must be another model coming out and they want to clear the current model.
> I'd love more megapixels, but the price is essentially as low as it will
> ever be for the 7D. I want to gradually go semi-pro, you know, weddings,
> exhibits, stock photography. Do I hold out and hope for more or do I go
> the
> 7D now????? I hate waiting but can't afford to get the wrong camera for
> me
> (the missus wouldn't like it either). I have the lens system so changing
> right now is far too expensive for me.
> Any guesses how long before the next models, ie 9D or 8D etc come out? I
> noted that the 7D came out in January, so maybe that's the time for it
> next
> year?
>
> Itchin' for a digital but do I or don't I blow my hard earned cash!!!!?

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:50:54 AM

A few friends of mine in KM Asia claimed they already hold a prototype of
the 9D early this year.
It supposed to show up in one of our forum photo hunt session but the KM rep
did not manage to come.

AFAIK KM has a strategy to do price cut even though they don't have a new
model coming up.
We are a reseller for their printer range, and trust me ... they rebate /
give bonus handsomely :)

2 months ago they give free duplexer on their SOHO range, this month they
are giving a few hundred $$ return ...
why ? I also have no clue. They are selling an excellent product, all my
clients been really happy [as they print small volume of flyers in house]

IMHO .. get what you can afford. The moments count ....
KM 5D is a good camera too , you can try having a look at that.

Also .. 7D was released Sept 04, while 5D July 05.

PS : 6 mpx is good enough for your semi pro needs [just print at pro labs ..
or @ Harvey Norman the minimum ].
I am still using a 2.74mpx with an array of pro glass :)

=bob=

"Jasen" <jasen_anderson@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Konica Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 7D - $AU300 cash back until December 31st.
> Must be another model coming out and they want to clear the current model.
> I'd love more megapixels, but the price is essentially as low as it will
> ever be for the 7D. I want to gradually go semi-pro, you know, weddings,
> exhibits, stock photography. Do I hold out and hope for more or do I go
> the
> 7D now????? I hate waiting but can't afford to get the wrong camera for
> me
> (the missus wouldn't like it either). I have the lens system so changing
> right now is far too expensive for me.
> Any guesses how long before the next models, ie 9D or 8D etc come out? I
> noted that the 7D came out in January, so maybe that's the time for it
> next
> year?
>
> Itchin' for a digital but do I or don't I blow my hard earned cash!!!!?

Related resources
September 10, 2005 2:56:19 AM

"John Ortt" <johnortt@noemailsuppliedasdontwantspam.com> wrote in message
> Go for the 7D for now and stick with it for about 3 years...after which
the
> models which come out next year/year after will have dropped in price
enough
> to be a reasonable upgrade buy.
>
> And don't forget that for any pro work it's always best to have two : )

Good point, but is 6.1 mp enough? Do many pros work with only 6mp? The
biggest image size at 300dpi I could take it too is about the size of a
magazine front page unless I interpolate the image up larger and doesn't
that degrade the image quality? A lot of publishers need 300dpi minimum as
I understand it? I also suppose once I do start selling material and doing
paid work it'll be funded eventually anyway.
I must sound like I am talking myself out of buying this camera, but I need
to be sure I am not wasting my money and am going to kick myself in only a
few months.

> "Jasen" <jasen_anderson@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > Konica Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 7D - $AU300 cash back until December 31st.
> > Must be another model coming out and they want to clear the current
model.
> > I'd love more megapixels, but the price is essentially as low as it will
> > ever be for the 7D. I want to gradually go semi-pro, you know, weddings,
> > exhibits, stock photography. Do I hold out and hope for more or do I go
> > the
> > 7D now????? I hate waiting but can't afford to get the wrong camera for
> > me
> > (the missus wouldn't like it either). I have the lens system so
changing
> > right now is far too expensive for me.
> > Any guesses how long before the next models, ie 9D or 8D etc come out?
> > noted that the 7D came out in January, so maybe that's the time for it
> > next
> > year?
> >
> > Itchin' for a digital but do I or don't I blow my hard earned cash!!!!?

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 2:56:20 AM

> "John Ortt" <johnortt@noemailsuppliedasdontwantspam.com> wrote in message
>> Go for the 7D for now and stick with it for about 3 years...after which
> the
>> models which come out next year/year after will have dropped in price
> enough
>> to be a reasonable upgrade buy.
>>
>> And don't forget that for any pro work it's always best to have two : )
>

> Good point, but is 6.1 mp enough? Do many pros work with only 6mp? The
> biggest image size at 300dpi I could take it too is about the size of a
> magazine front page unless I interpolate the image up larger and doesn't
> that degrade the image quality? A lot of publishers need 300dpi minimum
> as
> I understand it? I also suppose once I do start selling material and
> doing
> paid work it'll be funded eventually anyway.
> I must sound like I am talking myself out of buying this camera, but I
> need
> to be sure I am not wasting my money and am going to kick myself in only a
> few months.

Until recently, any pro using Nikon was using 6mp or less. So, yes, I'd say
that 6mp was sufficient for most photographer's use. Why the concern about
what pros use?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> "Jasen" <jasen_anderson@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Ortt" <johnortt@noemailsuppliedasdontwantspam.com> wrote in
message
> >> Go for the 7D for now and stick with it for about 3 years...after which
> > the
> >> models which come out next year/year after will have dropped in price
> > enough
> >> to be a reasonable upgrade buy.
> >>
> >> And don't forget that for any pro work it's always best to have two : )
> >

> > Good point, but is 6.1 mp enough? Do many pros work with only 6mp? The
> > biggest image size at 300dpi I could take it too is about the size of a
> > magazine front page unless I interpolate the image up larger and doesn't
> > that degrade the image quality? A lot of publishers need 300dpi minimum
> > as
> > I understand it? I also suppose once I do start selling material and
> > doing
> > paid work it'll be funded eventually anyway.
> > I must sound like I am talking myself out of buying this camera, but I
> > need
> > to be sure I am not wasting my money and am going to kick myself in only
> > few months.
> >

> Until recently, any pro using Nikon was using 6mp or less. So, yes, I'd
say
> that 6mp was sufficient for most photographer's use. Why the concern
about
> what pros use?
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

I suppose my thinking is that if pros use no less than a certain resolution
then there must be a reason for it from a commercial point of view from what
the image market accepts for publishing etc.
Thanks, this all helps with my decision.
September 10, 2005 3:49:22 AM

thanks bob.
I guess I just bust my guts to make what money I get after the taxman steals
it and I want to be sure.
cheers
Jasen

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
> A few friends of mine in KM Asia claimed they already hold a prototype of
> the 9D early this year.
> It supposed to show up in one of our forum photo hunt session but the KM
rep
> did not manage to come.
>
> AFAIK KM has a strategy to do price cut even though they don't have a new
> model coming up.
> We are a reseller for their printer range, and trust me ... they rebate /
> give bonus handsomely :)
>
> 2 months ago they give free duplexer on their SOHO range, this month they
> are giving a few hundred $$ return ...
> why ? I also have no clue. They are selling an excellent product, all my
> clients been really happy [as they print small volume of flyers in house]
>
> IMHO .. get what you can afford. The moments count ....
> KM 5D is a good camera too , you can try having a look at that.
>
> Also .. 7D was released Sept 04, while 5D July 05.
>
> PS : 6 mpx is good enough for your semi pro needs [just print at pro labs
> or @ Harvey Norman the minimum ].
> I am still using a 2.74mpx with an array of pro glass :)
>
> =bob=
>

> "Jasen" <jasen_anderson@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > Konica Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 7D - $AU300 cash back until December 31st.
> > Must be another model coming out and they want to clear the current
model.
> > I'd love more megapixels, but the price is essentially as low as it will
> > ever be for the 7D. I want to gradually go semi-pro, you know, weddings,
> > exhibits, stock photography. Do I hold out and hope for more or do I go
> > the
> > 7D now????? I hate waiting but can't afford to get the wrong camera for
> > me
> > (the missus wouldn't like it either). I have the lens system so
changing
> > right now is far too expensive for me.
> > Any guesses how long before the next models, ie 9D or 8D etc come out?
> > noted that the 7D came out in January, so maybe that's the time for it
> > next
> > year?
> >
> > Itchin' for a digital but do I or don't I blow my hard earned cash!!!!?

September 10, 2005 3:57:12 AM

Hi Skip,
Just had a look at your website, nice stuff.
Just wondering, what digital camera do you use and what's the biggest print
size you would make using the images from it?
cheers
Jasen

> "Jasen" <jasen_anderson@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Ortt" <johnortt@noemailsuppliedasdontwantspam.com> wrote in
message
> >> Go for the 7D for now and stick with it for about 3 years...after which
> > the
> >> models which come out next year/year after will have dropped in price
> > enough
> >> to be a reasonable upgrade buy.
> >>
> >> And don't forget that for any pro work it's always best to have two : )
> >

> > Good point, but is 6.1 mp enough? Do many pros work with only 6mp? The
> > biggest image size at 300dpi I could take it too is about the size of a
> > magazine front page unless I interpolate the image up larger and doesn't
> > that degrade the image quality? A lot of publishers need 300dpi minimum
> > as
> > I understand it? I also suppose once I do start selling material and
> > doing
> > paid work it'll be funded eventually anyway.
> > I must sound like I am talking myself out of buying this camera, but I
> > need
> > to be sure I am not wasting my money and am going to kick myself in only
> > few months.
> >

> Until recently, any pro using Nikon was using 6mp or less. So, yes, I'd
say
> that 6mp was sufficient for most photographer's use. Why the concern
about
> what pros use?
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:57:13 AM

> Thanks for that Skip. That really helps me.
> I've been film based for years, obviously, and done weddings for
> family/friends before and have been encouraged to do it for the money for
> while but always been a little shy of it. Now digital is really picking
> up
> I've thought more about it. There's that extra edge to make sure you get
> it
> right on the day and not have to wait to find out afterwards when you
> can't
> images are needed within a day or two and digital caters for that very
> well
> as slides take almost a week to get back from some developers.
> Anyway, thanks again, you have helped me immensely.
> cheers
> Jasen

Glad I could help, Jasen. I, too, worked with film and was encouraged to
shoot weddings for the money, but dragged my feet. Digital really gives us
a leg up, able to check exposures, composition, just about everything about
the image, in case there's any doubt, and then we can go back and redo, of
necessary. And our turnaround is very quick.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 6:52:47 AM

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, at 22:26:49 [GMT +1000] (22:26:49 Friday, 9 September
2005 where I live) "Jasen" wrote:

> Itchin' for a digital but do I or don't I blow my hard earned cash!!!!?

I know the feeling, however........whatever decision you make, later on you
will think it is the wrong one, but maybe you should hang out for the new
model?

--
I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
!