Is my CPU or Motherboard broken?

Ac4nthu5

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Hello, my computer will turn on (Fans start and lights turn on inside the computer) however nothing is displayed on the monitor and there is no start beep like there was when it worked. I have tested the PSU, the video card, and the RAM. Nothing i do seems to work and i need to know if i should buy a new motherboard or a new Processor. I have also cleared the CMOS and taken the battery out.

Specs http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX/FX6800/FX6800sp2.shtml

alec3601

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
make sure you have all the power cables connected to the mother board, make sure all the components are plugged in, if that doesn't work then you have a faulty video card since there is no display or the power supply doesn't have enough power to for all the components. There is no way it is your motherboard since the power is running through it to go to the fans and you said those are working

Ac4nthu5

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks for responding! All cables are connected to the motherboard and all components are plugged in. The problem is not the video card because my friend tested it, and i have tested the powersupply. But yeah the fans work fine.

Ac4nthu5

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
How much heat should come off my CPU when the computer is on? It doesn't heat up much, but could this be because the computer wont start up and it doesn't have to process much?

VaMoose

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I used to have this problem, and do every now and again.
Try unplugging all wires (USB, screen, etc) except for the power cable, turn it on, and off, unplug power cable, plug all cables back in. Otherwise, I used to disassemble my pc, and assemble it again and it would work.

nikorev

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
I have the same issue. I had to replace my PSU but it is still broken. I tried taking out the ram and starting the computer. No beep codes. I am thinking it is the motherboard. I am going ot return it and see if it works. I will try to keep you updated.

nikorev

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Is this a dead thread? Well I am just going to say something. Your best bet is to replace the parts with other parts. Make sure all you parts are compatible, its never bad to check again. I still have the same issue, but I didn't get the motherboard back from repair yet. Like I said before, I will keep you updated.

pls help

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

Please reply to this guy D: I was about to buy a new motherboard and I saw this. I don't have anyone with compatible
hardware to test out my motherboard and I have the exact same issue. Please tell me if y motherboard is done

Dauh

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

thankss, it work for me

thisistheway

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016

and it was just the motherboard? these repair guys had my desktop for 35 minutes and said it was motherboard and the CPU, i was in disbelief!

You're smart!

980 gtx
i7 5820k 3.3 ghz
MSI x99s
16gigs of ram

This tower was shutdown "properly" like it does every night and the next morning i booted it up and my fan led lights up; my mouse and keyboard flash... fan led stays lit but nothing on the monitor, no splash screen nothing.. i turn off... turn back on.. same thing, nothing on the screen, my mouse and keyboard flash again and turn off, fan led still on, but the auto on monitor isnt even PICKING UP A CONNECTION! i was playing 7 hours before.. anyways not my video card, not my ram, not my power source, not a battery.
I send it in and within 35 minutes i get a call and they say its motherboard and CPU instantly, AND LIKE ITS NBD.
IM FREAKING OUT
thanks my hero