Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU or Motherboard broken?

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2013 4:36:38 PM

Hello, my computer will turn on (Fans start and lights turn on inside the computer) however nothing is displayed on the monitor and there is no start beep like there was when it worked. I have tested the PSU, the video card, and the RAM. Nothing i do seems to work and i need to know if i should buy a new motherboard or a new Processor. I have also cleared the CMOS and taken the battery out.

Specs http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX/FX6800/FX6800sp2.sht...

More about : cpu motherboard broken

January 6, 2013 5:17:56 PM

make sure you have all the power cables connected to the mother board, make sure all the components are plugged in, if that doesn't work then you have a faulty video card since there is no display or the power supply doesn't have enough power to for all the components. There is no way it is your motherboard since the power is running through it to go to the fans and you said those are working
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:34:09 PM

Thanks for responding! All cables are connected to the motherboard and all components are plugged in. The problem is not the video card because my friend tested it, and i have tested the powersupply. But yeah the fans work fine.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2013 6:17:15 PM

how did you test the PSU?

try swapping in a known working PSU.
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:22:00 PM

Already did. I am sure its not the PSU.
m
l
January 7, 2013 11:22:45 PM

How much heat should come off my CPU when the computer is on? It doesn't heat up much, but could this be because the computer wont start up and it doesn't have to process much?
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:26:21 AM

I used to have this problem, and do every now and again.
Try unplugging all wires (USB, screen, etc) except for the power cable, turn it on, and off, unplug power cable, plug all cables back in. Otherwise, I used to disassemble my pc, and assemble it again and it would work.
m
l
January 8, 2013 6:48:41 PM

Okay i took everything out, and put it back in... still no results...
m
l
December 6, 2013 9:43:18 AM

I currently have the same problem, I'm sitting here with my computer gutted testing with everything I can. I wish you luck man!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2013 10:31:45 AM

Quote:
try swapping in a known working PSU.
m
l
January 8, 2014 8:36:30 AM

I have the same issue. I had to replace my PSU but it is still broken. I tried taking out the ram and starting the computer. No beep codes. I am thinking it is the motherboard. I am going ot return it and see if it works. I will try to keep you updated.
m
l
January 14, 2014 7:08:35 PM

Is this a dead thread? Well I am just going to say something. Your best bet is to replace the parts with other parts. Make sure all you parts are compatible, its never bad to check again. I still have the same issue, but I didn't get the motherboard back from repair yet. Like I said before, I will keep you updated.
m
l
February 27, 2014 9:00:09 AM

I am implying this thread is dead. But my problem has been solved, it was the motherboard.
m
l
!