Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2 Builds.One for me the other one for my little brother.i3 and i5.Help

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 23, 2012 12:45:04 AM

My original plan was to buy i7 2600k,HD7970 etc and build really good working station but then i though about my brother that is still playing on my 8 years old pc and i decided to cut on my pc and build one for him aswell. So first ill start with my build.Ill use it for 3DS Max,PhotoShop,Sketchbook pro,etc and also i will use it for gaming.

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $23.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $134.99 @ Microcenter
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $38.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $102.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $104.64 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card $244.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $109.99 @ NCIX US


The 2nd one is for my little bro.He is 10 and i wanna give him a present :3.This one will be used only for gaming.

CPU Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $114.98 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock H61M-GE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $64.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $45.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card $134.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Raidmax 530W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $38.99 @ SuperBiiz

Note:I have 2 Cooler Master 431,i will use them.Also im not buying from newegg because im ordering from NJ and newegg puts tax on this state.What can i fix on this builds and anyway i can cut on the price abit.Also after the release of 660ti i dont know if i should get it or just wait few weeks and hope the 7870 price goes down.Thanks alot guys.

More about : builds brother

August 23, 2012 1:25:08 AM

Any advice will be appreciated :) 
August 23, 2012 1:49:27 AM

Wow... you did a great job picking out the parts...just a few tips:

*Get a Samsung 830, Vertex4, Petrol M3 or a Muskin Chronos Deluxe SSD, not the M4

*Caviar Black HDDs are not worth the extra price, but This drive instead.

*a 750w PSU is overkill for even dual 7870s, 650w like this onewill be more than enough

*Do not buy a Raidmax PSU, buy a cheap 500w like this one

Edit: i know you don't want to buy from newegg but even with taxes everything will end up being cheaper.
Related resources
August 23, 2012 2:00:53 AM

Thanks for the answer man.Any other way i can cut the price ?
August 23, 2012 2:04:35 AM

One more thing should i hold 2 more weeks with hopes that the Redeon prices will go down ?
August 23, 2012 2:09:40 AM

diree said:
One more thing should i hold 2 more weeks with hopes that the Redeon prices will go down ?


Not really, AMD did an amazing job this time (and so did Nvidia) ... its incredible that a 300$ card (the 660ti) outperforms by a fair margin the last generation best card (the 500$ GTX 580) and AMD cards are pretty good as well (The 7970 when overclocked beats the GTX680/670 in most games) so there is no more price war between Nvidia and AMD.... prices are set and they're not lilkely to drop.

PS: You're an amazing brother!
August 23, 2012 2:21:15 AM

idroid said:
Not really, AMD did an amazing job this time (and so did Nvidia) ... its incredible that a 300$ card (the 660ti) outperforms by a fair margin the last generation best card (the 500$ GTX 580) and AMD cards are pretty good as well (The 7970 when overclocked beats the GTX680/670 in most games) so there is no more price war between Nvidia and AMD.... prices are set and they're not lilkely to drop.

PS: You're an amazing brother!

Thanks hah , the kid is struggling to play Minecraft with my 10y 512ram 1.8ghz.I had to do it :D 
I guess i`ll just buy it now and kill my hopes for 7950.
August 23, 2012 3:05:23 AM

For one your an awesome brother. I wouldn't do it for mine:p 
Do you have a Microcenter in your area? You can get a CPU and get like $50 off the motherboard. AMD won't drop their prices because their GPU sales are nuts as in they're making plenty off of them. Even though the 660Ti is better IMO.
August 23, 2012 3:14:28 AM

diree said:
Thanks hah , the kid is struggling to play Minecraft with my 10y 512ram 1.8ghz.I had to do it :D 
I guess i`ll just buy it now and kill my hopes for 7950.


Nah... you could buy a second 7870 whenever you can and rape a 7970
August 23, 2012 6:15:24 AM

I'd rather buy a more powerful single GPU than waste $ on a second 7870.
August 23, 2012 6:17:56 AM

azeem40 said:
I'd rather buy a more powerful single GPU than waste $ on a second 7870.


Waste??? what are you talking about?
August 23, 2012 6:19:17 AM

I will show you a post with the advantages of one GPU vs CF/SLIng two GPUs. Hold on.
August 23, 2012 6:21:24 AM

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 or GTX680 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 or GTX680 needs only 550W.
Even the strongest GTX690 only needs 650w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2995.html

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
August 23, 2012 6:27:14 AM

azeem40 said:
a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single 7970 or GTX680 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 or GTX680 needs only 550W.
Even the strongest GTX690 only needs 650w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2995.html

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.



I disagree with that.

*SLI/CF is needed for people like me (with picky eyes) who only want THE BEST OF THE BEST and want to game with everything maxed out, even AA @16x.

*SLI/CF is expensive....no sht Sherlock, the best things in life cost a lot ;) 

*Most gaming grade motherboards support SLI/CF, that argument is invalid.

*650w are enough to power dual 7850s and 750w can power 2 660s/670/680/7970/7950 and the price difference is not THAT big

*What (moderm) game (please don't say minecraft) doesn't benefit from SLI/CF?

*Today's card run a LOT cooler than previous gen cards making that "increased heat" argument somewhat invalid, but chances are that if you have a CF/SLI setup you already have a good cooling.
August 23, 2012 6:30:47 AM

I am done dealing with you. Enjoy your day.
August 23, 2012 6:32:11 AM

azeem40 said:
I am done dealing with you. Enjoy your day.


Its SO easy to piss you off :lol:  you too, enjoy your day (unlike you, i did not said that with sarcasm, seriously, have a good day buddy :D  )
August 23, 2012 6:35:23 AM

I wasn't being sarcastic. I hardly, if ever, use sarcasm.
August 23, 2012 6:43:33 AM

azeem40 said:
I wasn't being sarcastic. I hardly, if ever, use sarcasm.


August 23, 2012 6:46:04 AM

:lol: 
!