Raiding alliance cities

Yesterday night, two horde guilds brought onyxia's head at the same
time in Orgrimmar.

There was a huge party. I seized the occasion to launch a quick random
unplanned raid on ironforge. Two raid groups went in Dun Morough, and
we couldn't even reach the gates.

We were 80, and I think the Alliance outnumbered us by at least 3/1 or
even 4/1.

Question: how does the Horde raid Ironforge (or Stormwind, by the way)
on other servers? Any links to basic strategies?

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
> Babe Bridou wrote:
> > Yesterday night, two horde guilds brought onyxia's head at the same
> > time in Orgrimmar.
> >
> > There was a huge party. I seized the occasion to launch a quick random
> > unplanned raid on ironforge. Two raid groups went in Dun Morough, and
> > we couldn't even reach the gates.
> >
> > We were 80, and I think the Alliance outnumbered us by at least 3/1 or
> > even 4/1.
> >
> > Question: how does the Horde raid Ironforge (or Stormwind, by the way)
> > on other servers? Any links to basic strategies?
> >

> Simple, do NOT try to raid IF....The sheer number of alliance players in
> AH will not allow even the biggest and best Horde raid party to even get
> close. Also, even if you ever managed to get in IF, the lag would simply
> be unbearable and spoil your fun. Stormwind is IMO far easier to raid,
> since a couple of good tanks can keep the gate guards busy while people
> are pouring in. The problem is that the tram can bring large amounts of
> people

Not an option! Bronzebeard will fall! Just gotta find the correct
strategy...

> The best Alliance capital to *try* and raid is Darnassus, since if the
> raid news become known it will take some time for Alliance players to
> move and try to defend it. Also, there are no real highlvl quests in
> Darnassus so there will be quite a small amount of highlvl players
> already there. Finally, if the Horde players are careful, they can go
> straight to SS -> boat -> Darnassus without Alliance realising how they
> got there.
>
> It is quite easy to get into Darnassus (no gates, just the portal) so
> head in and go straight in the temple of the moon to prepare for the
> alliance attack, as it is the best place for some serious massacre.
>
> However, dont even *think* of going north to the Cenarion area, since
> reaching the Boss is easy, but you will wipe in about 1.5 secs as soon
> as he finds out you are there :)

Well last time we raided there we managed to take the archdruid was
down to 60% before the alliance reached and destroyed us :( But I
really want to discuss Ironforge invasion.

>>However, dont even *think* of going north to the Cenarion area, since
>> reaching the Boss is easy, but you will wipe in about 1.5 secs as soon
>> as he finds out you are there :)

>Well last time we raided there we managed to take the archdruid was
>down to 60% before the alliance reached and destroyed us :( But I
>really want to discuss Ironforge invasion.

A diversion sounds a good idea. Raid Darnassus or Stormwind first.
(Darnassus be best as it takes longer to get there.) It should draw
lots of Alliance players then launch a raid on the now depleted IF.

>Send a raid party to SW. and a 2nd, higher lvl and hidden as much as
>possible, to darkshore. The first, maybe lowerlvl party should start
>attacking SW, alliance will find out, come and start kicking butt. Then,
>the 2nd party should raid DS and go for Darnassus. Everyone will see
>that SW was a diversion, finish off the SW lowlvls and go to Darnassus
>for the others. Then, the killed party should join the all-60s party and
>run to IF. Most alliance will be on their way to Darnassus, so they
>won't be able to react. Go straight to Bronzebeard and do your best.
>This works better late night or in the morning, since people will not be
>in AH chatting and selling, but outside grinding or in instances. The
>problem of course, is getting 120 Hordies together at these times....

Hmm two diversions sounds suspect to me. If you hit SW then Darnassus
its pretty obvious IF will be next. The clever Alliance tactic would be
to leave Darnassus to its fate and wait for the raid on IF.

BombayMix wrote:
> >>However, dont even *think* of going north to the Cenarion area, since
> >> reaching the Boss is easy, but you will wipe in about 1.5 secs as soon
> >> as he finds out you are there :)
>
> >Well last time we raided there we managed to take the archdruid was
> >down to 60% before the alliance reached and destroyed us :( But I
> >really want to discuss Ironforge invasion.
>
> A diversion sounds a good idea. Raid Darnassus or Stormwind first.
> (Darnassus be best as it takes longer to get there.) It should draw
> lots of Alliance players then launch a raid on the now depleted IF.

If you have a high level druid (and I guess that you do) then he could
use stealth and track in IF to determine when a good time would be to
start the raid. (I've heard that druid cat form gets track humanoids -
not played one that high so I may just be going mad)

Or you could keep in touch with the Darnassus raid and start the IF
raid when it looks like the Alliance presence is going to be much for
them to hold.

steve.kaye

BombayMix wrote:

> Hmm two diversions sounds suspect to me. If you hit SW then Darnassus
> its pretty obvious IF will be next. The clever Alliance tactic would be
> to leave Darnassus to its fate and wait for the raid on IF.

True. How's this, 3 groups of Hordes

group Alpha : best
group Betty : better
group Charle : good

Let Charle prepared 2 sets of equipment, attacked IF and go as far as
bronzebeard then to be wiped, run back to corpse site.

Betty lunch attacked against Darnassus. When majority of Alliance are
gone, rez Charles to open portal for Alpha to come through right into
bronzebeard throneroom. Charles switch to 2nd set of equipment and join
Alpha in pounding bronzebeard, corpse dancing, /spit on the Bronzebeard.

2 days ago we raided archdruid on darnassus and got him to 7%.... then
we wiped...
was our first try (39 ppl of our guild and no other raids).
its really easy and fast to go there (btw it was on evening 19:00 in
Middle Europe - we play on a EU Server). we gathered at zoram in
ashenvale. then we start riding to aubergine (or how this port city is
called) where we took boat to darnassus. (Teldrassil) (btw its the boat
on right side). little problem was that we needed long time to go there
with 2 stops w8ing for others... then, when on boat (no loading screen,
/cheers) there is nearly no way that ally can see u. when u leave boat
straightly run to portal without fighting guards (u will reach portal
without any deads). when u leave portal walk straight north and gather
at a place where many bridges meet. there we killed all guards that r
behind us.
from there we went directly to archdruid and stopped right in front of
his "tree" to kill the last guards.
when all were there (no deads till then). we entered tree and fought
Archdruid. and here was our main problem. cause we fought inside the
tree the alarmed ally (mainly mages) ran in, AOE and all of us got hit.
(not enough space in there). got him to 7% and wiped.
our next tactics will be:
1st: the first dies will suddenly release and start running (beside its
the MT, hes gonna ressed).
2nd: fight down the tree (behind it) where we have more place to spread
out
3rd: He uses area rooting with 300 or so damage /tick. u need to
dispell it (we didnt)
4th: a single warlock runs to darnassus and hides near the tree. there
he summon all other raid (i.e. no warning of any ally till we charge)
5th: DONT YELL!!! many of us yelled all time on boat and on way to
portal. that will warn ally...

>5th: DONT YELL!!! many of us yelled all time on boat and on way to
>portal. that will warn ally...

This is biggest problem I see with all such raids. ie going undetected.
Sounds impossible to me that a single raid group can get to SW let
alone IF with no one noticing.

Problem made worse on PvE servers as and alliance toon could follow you
are alert other's to your whereabouts and if his not PvP flagged
there's nothing you can do about it.

hehe.. and there is the "worlddefense" channel. or, as horde, i would
type /who orgrimmar and then /w anyone to yell out that ally is
comin...
avoiding to be detected is only possible in 2 ways:
1st: Darnassus: straightly run there in the right moment (when boat is
leavin start entering auberdine.)
2nd: A warlock and at least 2 others (best way: rogues or druids) must
be in a safe and hidden spot near the city and then summon all raid (or
summon another lock and then summon.). with this tactic (and at least 3
locks) u should be able to summon a full raid in under 1 minute...

collection2002 wrote:
> BombayMix wrote:
> >
> > Hmm two diversions sounds suspect to me. If you hit SW then Darnassus
> > its pretty obvious IF will be next. The clever Alliance tactic would be
> > to leave Darnassus to its fate and wait for the raid on IF.
> >

> True. How's this, 3 groups of Hordes
>
> group Alpha : best
> group Betty : better
> group Charle : good
>
> Let Charle prepared 2 sets of equipment, attacked IF and go as far as
> bronzebeard then to be wiped, run back to corpse site.
>
> Betty lunch attacked against Darnassus. When majority of Alliance are
> gone, rez Charles to open portal for Alpha to come through right into
> bronzebeard throneroom. Charles switch to 2nd set of equipment and join
> Alpha in pounding bronzebeard, corpse dancing, /spit on the Bronzebeard.

Nice ideas overall.

What about this plan? send the first raid group on Ironforge, but stay
in front of the slope to the gate, and yell. Work just like in Tarren
Mill: pull. Don't try to charge, just pull them and heal yourself. When
they are successfully pulled, run. Run as far as possible, but stay as
a raid. Run to the Badlands and kite the alliance to come fight in
Kargath. From this time on you should have pulled about 40-50 alliance
out of Ironforge.

At that exact point a little 5-10 people ganksquad should attack
Auberdine and maybe Darnassus, and kill as many guards as possible to
spam their world def channel.

10 minutes later the main troops enter Stormwind and go straight for
the Tram, out of the tram into IF, then have warlocks summon everyone.
I mean EVERYONE. Then do a massive rush into the forge...

Damn that's hard to schedule :)

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
> Babe Bridou wrote:
> > collection2002 wrote:
> >
> > Nice ideas overall.
> >
> > What about this plan? send the first raid group on Ironforge, but stay
> > in front of the slope to the gate, and yell. Work just like in Tarren
> > Mill: pull. Don't try to charge, just pull them and heal yourself. When
> > they are successfully pulled, run. Run as far as possible, but stay as
> > a raid. Run to the Badlands and kite the alliance to come fight in
> > Kargath. From this time on you should have pulled about 40-50 alliance
> > out of Ironforge.
>
> 40-50 out of Ironforge towards badlands is absolutely nothing with the
> current alliance numbers. You need a way to prevent as many as possible
> from coming back to IF, the previous poster's trick to cancel their HS
> is a good one, but it takes us to the next point...
>

> > At that exact point a little 5-10 people ganksquad should attack
> > Auberdine and maybe Darnassus, and kill as many guards as possible to
> > spam their world def channel.
>
> A lone druid can travel to moonglade -> darnassus and scout. People are
> not stupid, they know that a 5-10 man raid cannot kill anything in darnassus
>
> > 10 minutes later the main troops enter Stormwind and go straight for
> > the Tram, out of the tram into IF, then have warlocks summon everyone.
> > I mean EVERYONE. Then do a massive rush into the forge...
>
> By the time you get near the tram (through an alliance capital...), in
> the tram and out of the tram, about 200 lvl60 alliance will wait and
> welcome you.
>
> > Damn that's hard to schedule :)
> >

> It sure is. OTOH, because of the sheer difference in numbers, we pretty
> much daily raid orgrimmar, since we can easily get 1-2 pickup raid
> groups and go for fun.

There is no difference in numbers on my server (PVP).

The problem is with the backdoors on horde cities. There's no strategy
involved in a raid over Thrall or Sylvanas, since basically you're in
the throne room before the defending Horde. Having an AH in the way of
the only entrance is a huge, huge advantage of the alliance here.

>> 10 minutes later the main troops enter Stormwind and go straight for
>> the Tram, out of the tram into IF, then have warlocks summon everyone.
>> I mean EVERYONE. Then do a massive rush into the forge...

>By the time you get near the tram (through an alliance capital...), in
>the tram and out of the tram, about 200 lvl60 alliance will wait and
>welcome you.

Actually I've seen Horde in the IF tram station before!! It was late at
night so I can't imagine many were people in SW but IF AH was still
busy, so they wouldn't have got far into IF itself.

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "Vertoobli" <motoko@null.com> wrote:
>
> >>What about this plan? send the first raid group on Ironforge, but stay
> >>in front of the slope to the gate, and yell. Work just like in Tarren
> >>Mill: pull. Don't try to charge, just pull them and heal yourself. When
> >>they are successfully pulled, run. Run as far as possible, but stay as
> >>a raid. Run to the Badlands and kite the alliance to come fight in
> >>Kargath. From this time on you should have pulled about 40-50 alliance
> >>out of Ironforge.
> >>
> > Thats cool. What are you going to do about the 200 -300 people left
> > there?
>
> Fight and kill them. 1H = 2A.
>
> > Efil bloody Hordies.
>
> Moo.
>
> Chris

More importantly make them HS then take the flight/ship to
Auberdine/Darnassus, if you read the next part. It's PLAIN that the
raid is a diversion for a much bigger attack on another city. What they
don't expect is that it's a diversion raid for a diversion raid that
hides the big, massive, stormforge.

Babe Bridou wrote:

> Well last time we raided there we managed to take the archdruid was
> down to 60% before the alliance reached and destroyed us :( But I
> really want to discuss Ironforge invasion.

As I said, IF is not really an option, unless you have the following:

3 raid groups, 1 full of the best 60s you can get
Time
Noone to spill your plans to the alliance.

I have seen this strategy work, so here it is:

Send a raid party to SW. and a 2nd, higher lvl and hidden as much as
possible, to darkshore. The first, maybe lowerlvl party should start
attacking SW, alliance will find out, come and start kicking butt. Then,
the 2nd party should raid DS and go for Darnassus. Everyone will see
that SW was a diversion, finish off the SW lowlvls and go to Darnassus
for the others. Then, the killed party should join the all-60s party and
run to IF. Most alliance will be on their way to Darnassus, so they
won't be able to react. Go straight to Bronzebeard and do your best.
This works better late night or in the morning, since people will not be
in AH chatting and selling, but outside grinding or in instances. The
problem of course, is getting 120 Hordies together at these times....

BTW, this comes from a pretty much strictly alliance player, so yes, I
know what I am talking about :)

alex

> Well last time we raided there we managed to take the archdruid was
> down to 60% before the alliance reached and destroyed us :( But I
> really want to discuss Ironforge invasion.

It's important to note that 90% plus of the Alliance lvl 60's are homed in
the inn at IF. This mean, when the call goes out, you'll have it raining
60's! You might have a better chance if you raid IF, then back off, then
raid Darnassus to get the already Hearthstoned guys to start travelling,
then Re-raid IF. Thus stranding many in transit. Mage's will portal them
back, but they gotta organise and group up for that...all the time your
cracking skulls.

I'm alliance, I feel all dirty now

BombayMix wrote:
>>Send a raid party to SW. and a 2nd, higher lvl and hidden as much as
>>possible, to darkshore. The first, maybe lowerlvl party should start
>>attacking SW, alliance will find out, come and start kicking butt. Then,
>>the 2nd party should raid DS and go for Darnassus. Everyone will see
>>that SW was a diversion, finish off the SW lowlvls and go to Darnassus
>>for the others. Then, the killed party should join the all-60s party and
>>run to IF. Most alliance will be on their way to Darnassus, so they
>>won't be able to react. Go straight to Bronzebeard and do your best.
>>This works better late night or in the morning, since people will not be
>>in AH chatting and selling, but outside grinding or in instances. The
>>problem of course, is getting 120 Hordies together at these times....
>

> Hmm two diversions sounds suspect to me. If you hit SW then Darnassus
> its pretty obvious IF will be next. The clever Alliance tactic would be
> to leave Darnassus to its fate and wait for the raid on IF.

Yes, but in that case they'd be stuck in IF while you were raiding
Darnassus....

steve.kaye wrote:

>>>Well last time we raided there we managed to take the archdruid was
>>>down to 60% before the alliance reached and destroyed us :( But I
>>>really want to discuss Ironforge invasion.
>>
>>A diversion sounds a good idea. Raid Darnassus or Stormwind first.
>>(Darnassus be best as it takes longer to get there.) It should draw
>>lots of Alliance players then launch a raid on the now depleted IF.
>

> If you have a high level druid (and I guess that you do) then he could
> use stealth and track in IF to determine when a good time would be to
> start the raid. (I've heard that druid cat form gets track humanoids -
> not played one that high so I may just be going mad)
>
> Or you could keep in touch with the Darnassus raid and start the IF
> raid when it looks like the Alliance presence is going to be much for
> them to hold.
>
> steve.kaye

Not possible in IF, the thiefcatcher has an insane stealth detection radius.

mikel

Babe Bridou wrote:
> Yesterday night, two horde guilds brought onyxia's head at the same
> time in Orgrimmar.
>
> There was a huge party. I seized the occasion to launch a quick random
> unplanned raid on ironforge. Two raid groups went in Dun Morough, and
> we couldn't even reach the gates.
>
> We were 80, and I think the Alliance outnumbered us by at least 3/1 or
> even 4/1.
>
> Question: how does the Horde raid Ironforge (or Stormwind, by the way)
> on other servers? Any links to basic strategies?

I'm curious, too. With 35 characters on 6 servers over almost 9 months
of regular play in both factions, I have never seen a full-scale raid on
Ironforge. If someone else has, I would love to see a description of how
it was done.

mikel

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
> Babe Bridou wrote:
>
>> Yesterday night, two horde guilds brought onyxia's head at the same
>> time in Orgrimmar.
>>
>> There was a huge party. I seized the occasion to launch a quick random
>> unplanned raid on ironforge. Two raid groups went in Dun Morough, and
>> we couldn't even reach the gates.
>>
>> We were 80, and I think the Alliance outnumbered us by at least 3/1 or
>> even 4/1.
>>
>> Question: how does the Horde raid Ironforge (or Stormwind, by the way)
>> on other servers? Any links to basic strategies?
>>

> Simple, do NOT try to raid IF....The sheer number of alliance players in
> AH will not allow even the biggest and best Horde raid party to even get
> close. Also, even if you ever managed to get in IF, the lag would simply
> be unbearable and spoil your fun. Stormwind is IMO far easier to raid,
> since a couple of good tanks can keep the gate guards busy while people
> are pouring in. The problem is that the tram can bring large amounts of
> people
>
> The best Alliance capital to *try* and raid is Darnassus, since if the
> raid news become known it will take some time for Alliance players to
> move and try to defend it. Also, there are no real highlvl quests in
> Darnassus so there will be quite a small amount of highlvl players
> already there. Finally, if the Horde players are careful, they can go
> straight to SS -> boat -> Darnassus without Alliance realising how they
> got there.
>
> It is quite easy to get into Darnassus (no gates, just the portal) so
> head in and go straight in the temple of the moon to prepare for the
> alliance attack, as it is the best place for some serious massacre.
>
> However, dont even *think* of going north to the Cenarion area, since
> reaching the Boss is easy, but you will wipe in about 1.5 secs as soon
> as he finds out you are there :)

What you say is right, but perhaps tempered a bit by the fact that
Darnassus is a mage portal destination, and I know when I am playing my
60 mage it is always a happy occasion when I see the words "Teldrassil
is under attack!" It means it's time to teleport to Ironforge and
announce the free express bus to Darnassus.

I know I'm not the only mage with that reaction.

mikel

BombayMix wrote:
>>Send a raid party to SW. and a 2nd, higher lvl and hidden as much as
>>possible, to darkshore. The first, maybe lowerlvl party should start
>>attacking SW, alliance will find out, come and start kicking butt. Then,
>>the 2nd party should raid DS and go for Darnassus. Everyone will see
>>that SW was a diversion, finish off the SW lowlvls and go to Darnassus
>>for the others. Then, the killed party should join the all-60s party and
>>run to IF. Most alliance will be on their way to Darnassus, so they
>>won't be able to react. Go straight to Bronzebeard and do your best.
>>This works better late night or in the morning, since people will not be
>>in AH chatting and selling, but outside grinding or in instances. The
>>problem of course, is getting 120 Hordies together at these times....
>

> Hmm two diversions sounds suspect to me. If you hit SW then Darnassus
> its pretty obvious IF will be next. The clever Alliance tactic would be
> to leave Darnassus to its fate and wait for the raid on IF.

In my experience diversion tends to work very well. I just don't think
that people under attack tend to think the way you are describing. Of
course any attack could be a diversion for some other attack, but you
can't respond to all the infinite number of possible attacks you think
might be coming.

In practice, what I've seen is that a diversion with a respectable
number of attackers draws a good response every time. And, in fact,
based on a set of raids I was in one afternoon, a party of just 5 people
can stir up quite a large response and keep a lot of defenders busy by
hitting a few targets in fast hit-and-run style. Pick three secondary
targets (like Camp Taurajo and Thelsamar). Hit one hard and fast and as
soon as the defenders start to come in, leave and head for the next one.
Repeat. You can excite quite a bit of defender activity this way with
one measly 5-man party. If you have enough people to be thinking about
raiding Ironforge, you might even be able to spare two commando teams.

Babe Bridou wrote:
> collection2002 wrote:
>
> Nice ideas overall.
>
> What about this plan? send the first raid group on Ironforge, but stay
> in front of the slope to the gate, and yell. Work just like in Tarren
> Mill: pull. Don't try to charge, just pull them and heal yourself. When
> they are successfully pulled, run. Run as far as possible, but stay as
> a raid. Run to the Badlands and kite the alliance to come fight in
> Kargath. From this time on you should have pulled about 40-50 alliance
> out of Ironforge.

40-50 out of Ironforge towards badlands is absolutely nothing with the
current alliance numbers. You need a way to prevent as many as possible
from coming back to IF, the previous poster's trick to cancel their HS
is a good one, but it takes us to the next point...

> At that exact point a little 5-10 people ganksquad should attack
> Auberdine and maybe Darnassus, and kill as many guards as possible to
> spam their world def channel.

A lone druid can travel to moonglade -> darnassus and scout. People are
not stupid, they know that a 5-10 man raid cannot kill anything in darnassus

> 10 minutes later the main troops enter Stormwind and go straight for
> the Tram, out of the tram into IF, then have warlocks summon everyone.
> I mean EVERYONE. Then do a massive rush into the forge...

By the time you get near the tram (through an alliance capital...), in
the tram and out of the tram, about 200 lvl60 alliance will wait and
welcome you.

> Damn that's hard to schedule :)

It sure is. OTOH, because of the sheer difference in numbers, we pretty
much daily raid orgrimmar, since we can easily get 1-2 pickup raid
groups and go for fun.

"Vertoobli" <motoko@null.com> wrote:

>>What about this plan? send the first raid group on Ironforge, but stay
>>in front of the slope to the gate, and yell. Work just like in Tarren
>>Mill: pull. Don't try to charge, just pull them and heal yourself. When
>>they are successfully pulled, run. Run as far as possible, but stay as
>>a raid. Run to the Badlands and kite the alliance to come fight in
>>Kargath. From this time on you should have pulled about 40-50 alliance
>>out of Ironforge.
>>
> Thats cool. What are you going to do about the 200 -300 people left
> there?

Fight and kill them. 1H = 2A.

> Efil bloody Hordies.

Moo.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (60) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

> Nah, I'm thinking about a basic strategy. I wonder if just attacking the
> three cities at the same time wouldn't work? Put MOST of the troops in
> the stormwind one, and attack all three cities at, say, 8.00pm server
> time precisely, the usual meeting time in front of Molten Core :D
>
> Of course, the Ironforge attack team will be sacrificed :) but as soon
> as the stormwind group gets into the tram, they can take advantage of
> the chaos to reach bronzebeard...

What if IF team failed and those that SW defenders gave warning about
hordes on TRAM? This still gave plenty of time for IF defenders to
mount up a normandy wall at TRAM.

Like what mikel said about portals, have 2 teams attacked IF. The
larger group attract everyone's. The smaller team slips away toward the
throne room. There, warlocks portal attackers at Darnasus.

I have been seeing hordes in alliance clothing (HiAC) while running
around Ogimarr, in midst of confusion, wouldn't these HiAC be
overlooked if they slip away toward bronzebeard's room?

TRENDING THREADS