Asus gtx 550 ti power supply unit?

thEnurburghype

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hi, so basically i have a switching creation 600 watts PSU with a DEDICATED 6 PIN PCI-E power connector and i want to know if an asus gtx 550 ti will be able to run on it...Also the most important thing is that it has 10amps on the 12v rail and i know this is little. Most people are telling me the psu is good as long as it has a 6 pin power connector.The graphic card vendor even inspected my psu and guaranteed me that it would work even with the GPU stressed and funtioning at max!I'm puzzled ;0 My question to you all is if the psu was that bad what THE HELL WOULD IT HAVE A 6 PIN connector! THis would defeat the purpose of having 10 amps on the 12v rail...sorry i'm no expert in power supplies and graphic stuffs but i REALLY want to know this. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!THANKS!

I understand your frustration, and actually, there IS NO purpose in having only 10 amps on a 12V rail unless you're cutting corners (and costs) to raise profits. they probably put the 6-pin connector there because just about all 600w PSUs have at least one, most quality ones 2 6-pin connectors

now the gtx 550ti isn't a particularly power hungry card. so enough though I have doubts that you can actually draw 600w from your PSU, your system will be running it somewhere around 50-60% load. which I believe should work out

DM186

Splendid
If it is only one 12v rail then some how it has the wrong power settings for it along with the 6 pin connector. If the your card draws 135w then that power supply will not work on that card.

10amps on the 12v rail is only 120w. I can't see that a 600w PSU has a single 10amp 12v rail. Are you sure that you only have the one 12v rail? If you have more it will look like 12va or 12v1 etc.

I would take another look and maybe take a picture and repost it on here. Good luck

thEnurburghype

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
no the psu does not have multiple 12v rails (specs; 3.3@20a, 5@12a, 12@10 with peak power stated as 600 watts) and it is just as heavy as my 80+ cx600 running in ANOTHER system. my entire sys specs are; i5 2320, mobo ecs h61h2-m6, seagate baraccuda 500gb, asus dvd writer + 2 120mm led fans and they are running perfectly.
this s a very budget limited gaming( so to speak) PC.

DM186

Splendid
Is there a way you can hook up a volt meter to it to see if it really is 10amps on the 12v rail? It has to be a type O on the settings on the sticker because with 10 amps you wouldn't be able to run both your GPU or your CPU.

That is so werid what is the brand name for the PSU? I am not on my rig at home and I can't reserch the exact wattage the 550 draws I should know because I run two of them in SLI.

I am on my laptop and I don't have all my reserch in front of me I will respond later when I get home which will be tomorrow sorry but please leave the answer for the question I have asked for.

DM186

Splendid
Don't forget to let us know. I am pretty sure it is a Type O. Oh by the way the 550 Ti on idle is 35w 48w and on load is 135w to 142w I read my owners manual for my cards. It just depends if you OC it or not.

You could try it to see if it will run it. It will not fry your GPU if there is not enough power it just won't work.

DM186

Splendid

A Type O is a mistake on the lettering or numbering. I might be saying it wrong or even putting it in the wrong contex. But you could take it as a blood type or it is a special type of O.

But in my so called little world it is a mistake on the sticker of your PSU. You have to excuse my dry sence of humor. Some times I wonder if I have any at all. lol :D

You can try to use your card on your PSU and I am sure it will work. If for some odd reason it is only 10amps then your GPU will light up and will work untill it go to load which is about 135w.

And your PSU is only 120w on the 12v rail. What will happen is most likely the system will shut down or you will get the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) which will not hurt anything the first time.

You can test your PSU that way just to see if you can't get a volt meter. Good luck.

DM186

Splendid

Hey amuffin I see you made expert thats cool. I don't know if you caught what was going on but the 600w PSU states, it has only 10amps on the 12v rail and it is a single 12v rail and we are trying to figure out why it is saying that.

Congrats on gold badge in Graphics :)

I now spend most of my time in the Overclocking section :whistle:

DM186

Splendid

Thanks and I was wondering where you went. I hope you are doing as good there as you have done here? Good luck to yeah.