Sign in with
Your question

New PC questions

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2013 5:41:03 PM

I am going to purchase a new PC soon.
After I have made a little research about the components I have my almost final list.
I would like professional opinion.
This is my desired hardware:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor
Motherborad: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE
RAM: Vengeance® Low Profile — 32GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Additional Fan Case: NF-A14 FLX x2
Power Supply: Seasonic X-520 Fanless
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

I am not a gamer at all. I am not going to overclock too much...
I usually buy a PC every few years and when I do... I try do buy the best with the best and latest specs.
I just have a few questions:
1. Is 3770K enough? or should I wait for Haswell 4770k? Is there a huge "jump" between them??
2. Will I feel any difference between 16GB and 32GB? (I am not going to use RAMdisk and no gaming)
3. What cooler should I get? NH-D14 or Corsair H100i with Noctua NF-F12 PWMx2 (for more quiet work of the cooler). I will transfer once in a while my PC and i know that with NH-D14 it not healthy and dangerous.

The most important thing for me is the quietness. (it will be in my bedroom)
Can you please advice me what is better and answer my questions?
Maybe other components?

Thanks,
Peter

More about : questions

January 6, 2013 5:58:25 PM

1: Haswell seems to be more based around dropping power consumption and the fabrication process rather than boosting the power. I'd advise to just go with the 3770k, which, unless you're doing work that makes use of the HyperThreading, is useless. If you're just doing normal work without encoding and video editing, go for an i5 like the 3570k.

2: Similarly, because you haven't given us a purpose of what you're using it for, let's assume you're just doing office work, and generic home tasks. In which case even 16GB is surplus. 16GB is large enough even for encoding and editing work, which is very RAM heavy. Unless you do decide to use a RAMDisk, which is a nice, speedy idea, then don't bother with 32GB, because it will never benefit you.

3: Because you won't be gaming, you likely won't reach loads that make the components really work, building up heat (Unless you do encoding, or lots of video or photo work) So the decision is really up to you, because the performance is irrelevant, because you likely won't see a difference, so if volume is a priority, pick the quietest.
m
l
January 7, 2013 1:46:36 AM

1. Is there a difference between 1600 MHz and 2666 MHz in RAM? Should I invest more money for 2666?
2. What will be the most silent cooliing and which case is better?
m
l
!