Solved

60C idle for a Radeon 7970 bad?

Helo all i just wanted to ask something i hava a Radeon HD 7970 that idles at 60C and my old gtx 550ti used to idle at 32C i have a fan blowing on it. so is 60C ok for a 7970 idle?
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about idle radeon 7970
  1. Best answer
    Its really high... I mean 60c won't damage the card, but that is really high for idle.

    Sooo, what is your case? Also what's your PSU? Once I know that I can help you troubleshoot
  2. 60C idle, that's hot. Check if the fan works. You may have to RMA your card.
  3. Oh, also check with Ccc, msi afterburner, or GPUZ To see if your card is truly idle: 0-1% load, running at 300mhz for single monitor
  4. vmem said:
    Oh, also check with Ccc, msi afterburner, or GPUZ To see if your card is truly idle: 0-1% load, running at 300mhz for single monitor

    yes the card is at 0% but says 500Mhz
  5. 500mhz is normal too, do you have two monitors?

    Anyway, is the fan spinning up properly? What is the fan speed?
  6. With two monitors, assuming that is what you have, 60C isn't as hot, but still rather hot. Normally you'd expect 45-55C with two monitors.
  7. vmem said:
    500mhz is normal too, do you have two monitors?

    Anyway, is the fan spinning up properly? What is the fan speed?

    no, i have one 24Inch 1920 by 1080
  8. One other reason you might see 500mhz on the core is you have a video open with hardware acceleration.
  9. Still, it's starting to sound like a improperly mounted cooler
  10. 60C even @500Mhz 0% load is way too hot, at idle desktop with one monitor @300Mhz I sit on 32-34C depending on the day.

    500Mhz on the core clock occors when watching hardware excellerated videos (for example youtube), you can disable this by right click on the video and disabling hardware acceleration. Your core clock should sit at 300Mhz.

    This sounds like a faulty card, RMA it.
  11. it sems one of my setting in CCC was making it sit at 500MHz and i played with some settings to make it 300MHz and now it stays at 35-38C is that good?
  12. gtech346 said:
    it sems one of my setting in CCC was making it sit at 500MHz and i played with some settings to make it 300MHz and now it stays at 35-38C is that good?


    yes that works, but what did you play with? I don't know of anything that can adjust idle clocks. unless you just clocked down your card to 300mhz
  13. vmem said:
    yes that works, but what did you play with? I don't know of anything that can adjust idle clocks. unless you just clocked down your card to 300mhz

    it idles at 300MHz and when i play a game like BF3 the card goes it to high performance mode 925Mhz all i did really is used a Hdmi to DVI instead of direct DVI.
  14. Best answer selected by gtech346.
  15. gtech346 said:
    it idles at 300MHz and when i play a game like BF3 the card goes it to high performance mode 925Mhz all i did really is used a Hdmi to DVI instead of direct DVI.


    that is really really weird... but congratz on getting it working!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx HD Radeon Graphics