Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Quest About Overclocking With The Evo 212

Last response: in Components
Share
January 6, 2013 6:36:09 PM

Yeah, I know most used cooler ever, but how far do you think I can stably overclock a 2500K? Same with a 3570K? I'm looking to get about 4.5 or as high as I can without changing voltages. Thanks in advance for helping!
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 7:09:30 PM

Without changing voltages???

4.2GHz I would guess, but it differs a lot from chip to chip.

Why do you not want to change voltages?
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 8:02:19 PM

I dont have a problem with changing voltages. I just am not experienced with overclocking, therefore I wouldn't like to burn my CPU out. D:
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 8:14:02 PM

L0lzer said:
I dont have a problem with changing voltages. I just am not experienced with overclocking, therefore I wouldn't like to burn my CPU out. D:


Well that's what we are here for! :pt1cable: 

A K-series processor is begging to be OCd with some voltage! Hehe.

Its quite easy to be honest...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

There is a lengthy guide.

Any question. Feel free to ask.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 8:19:56 PM

Thanks man, i'll read that. Ill be back in a little bit after reading.

Edit: In the guide they are using a P67 chipset, currently i'm using the MSI Z77-G41. I assume the procedure will be different right?
m
0
l
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 8:30:36 PM

L0lzer said:
Thanks man, i'll read that. Ill be back in a little bit after reading.

Edit: In the guide they are using a P67 chipset, currently i'm using the MSI Z77-G41. I assume the procedure will be different right?


Not at all, the procedure is identical if you have the 2500K. This will only change if you have the 3570K.

Just out of curiosity, why did you get the 2500K but a Z77 chipset motherboard?
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 8:36:01 PM

I actually dont have the CPU yet. xD I'm still deciding between the 3570K and the 2500K, the reason I asked about the 2500K in this thread is because I know that Sandy Bridge runs cooler, therefore I can OC higher without an expensive cooler. I got the Z77 because I had the features I needed and it wasn't too expensive.. ($104 I think) I was originally going to go with a B75 Chipset but research more about it and learned that it wasn't going to suit me needs for gaming. I also just realized that I messed up the title. FML
m
0
l
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 8:53:37 PM

L0lzer said:
I actually dont have the CPU yet. xD I'm still deciding between the 3570K and the 2500K, the reason I asked about the 2500K in this thread is because I know that Sandy Bridge runs cooler, therefore I can OC higher without an expensive cooler. I got the Z77 because I had the features I needed and it wasn't too expensive.. ($104 I think) I was originally going to go with a B75 Chipset but research more about it and learned that it wasn't going to suit me needs for gaming.


Ah well let me do you the honor of explaining to you why the 3570K is the better choice.

Con of Ivy first :

The reason why Sandy runs cooler than Ivy is the IHS(the outercooling surface) of Sandy is soldered directly onto the the CPU die whereass Ivy only has a form of thermal past(TIM). Intel did this to conserve cost.(bad, I know)

CPU with IHS - http://www.google.co.za/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=...

CPU without - http://www.google.co.za/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N...

Pros of Ivy :

1. Ivy-Bridge and Z77 chipset natively support 2 back-panel and 2 front-panel USB3 ports. This means if you couple the Z77 chipset with a Sandy bridge processor you end up losing 4 USB3 ports.

2. Although Ivy does not OC as well as Sandy it is quite a bit faster than Sandy at a given clock rate. (3570K @ 4GHz is faster than 2500K @ 4GHz). So although temps are higher you don't need so much voltage to get it to the same level of performance. This means the chip has a longer lifespan.
Also consider that Ivy does not like voltage as much as Sandy thus generating less heat so that it evens out on the cooling required.

3. Ivy uses much less power and you can achieve a 4.4GHz OC on stock 1.2volts if you get a decent chip.

4. Ivy + Z77 gives you native PCI-e 3.0 support, if you couple the 2500K with Z77 you lose that functionality. Not that this matters much as PCI-e 3.0 is mostly useless at the moment, but this may change soon.

So my point is that rather get the 3570K.
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 9:00:01 PM

Ah, thank you for explaining. Its perfect that the CPU's are the same price on Newegg too! Any idea what cooler the guy was OCing with in the guide you gave me a link to?

Also do you think http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is enough to do a 4.5Ghz OC on the 3570K and power the 7850 2GB?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 9:14:49 PM

4.2 is pretty much standard but the 3570 really needs more efficent water cooling to cope with the fast changes in temps at 4.5. air just cant cope with the ivy parts very well. where as the 2500k with a voltage bump will do 4.5 and because it has better thermal design can do it well on air alone.
yes the evo will get to 4.5 on both but really do you want to risk a $200+ cpu to a $30 cooler that will be near its max for both... if your set on 4.5 then noctua for the 2500k and a h100 hydro unit for the 3570 would be safer options. more headroom for higher ambient temps... remember not every day will be 80'f you want something that will still give effective cooling even when the ambients reach 110+'f
m
0
l
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 9:17:56 PM

WaterCooling Heatsink/fan (H2O): CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling

He used watercooling.

Yes that PSU is mroe than enough and Seasonic makes GREAT PSUs.

As for Ivy-Bridge OCing. You may want to ignore that guide. LOL.
Here is one that isnt really for beginners but will help :
http://www.thinkcomputers.org/intel-ivy-bridge-overcloc...

How much do you have to spend on cooling?

m
0
l
January 6, 2013 9:21:10 PM

Yeah I'm planning on getting the H100 when I gather the money. This is my first gaming rig also. The Hyper is just going to make do until I can get liquid cooling. As for the PSU will it be enough? If not can you recommend one preferably modular.
m
0
l
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 9:22:12 PM

HEXiT said:
4.2 is pretty much standard but the 3570 really needs more efficent water cooling to cope with the fast changes in temps at 4.5. air just cant cope with the ivy parts very well. where as the 2500k with a voltage bump will do 4.5 and because it has better thermal design can do it well on air alone.
yes the evo will get to 4.5 on both but really do you want to risk a $200+ cpu to a $30 cooler that will be near its max for both... if your set on 4.5 then noctua for the 2500k and a h100 hydro unit for the 3570 would be safer options. more headroom for higher ambient temps... remember not every day will be 80'f you want something that will still give effective cooling even when the ambients reach 110+'f


I strongly disagree...

I live in South Africa, a reasonably hot country. A Noctua NH-D14 can handle a 4.5GHz OC on a 3570K without issue. Keep in mind the max temps on Ivy is 103 Degrees C, in full Intel Burn test the NH-D14 levels out at 86C with my 3570K, that's plenty of headroom.

The H100i is not superior to the Noctua at all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h100i-elc240-seidon...
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 131 K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 9:23:40 PM

L0lzer said:
Yeah I'm planning on getting the H100 when I gather the money. This is my first gaming rig also. The Hyper is just going to make do until I can get liquid cooling. As for the PSU will it be enough? If not can you recommend one preferably modular.


Look at the above article I posted. The H100 or H100i is not worth it. I own an H80 and I am not happy that I sold my Noctua for it.

Oh and heres a previous thread of mine that may help you OC the 3570K

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
Share
January 6, 2013 9:27:09 PM

Thank you for all the help Novuake!
m
0
l
January 6, 2013 9:27:19 PM

Best answer selected by L0lzer.
m
0
l
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 6, 2013 9:28:50 PM

L0lzer said:
Thank you for all the help Novuake!


Huge pleasure. Let me know what OC you manage.
m
0
l
January 7, 2013 12:02:42 AM

L0lzer said:
Yeah I'm planning on getting the H100 when I gather the money. This is my first gaming rig also. The Hyper is just going to make do until I can get liquid cooling. As for the PSU will it be enough? If not can you recommend one preferably modular.



NO! save a little to get the zalman lq 320 at newegg, then send in the $35 rebate and wait.

the lq 310 matches up with the performance of the h100, and so does the thrmaltake 2.0 performer. I would say that the 320 is 2 steps up and is $50 after the rebate. it also has that blue LED in the pump.
m
0
l
!