Sign in with
Your question

New intel i3 sandy bridge hitting 90+ degrees C

Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2013 6:52:38 PM

Hello, I got parts to build my own computer, everything is working as it should be exept the CPU is hitting 90+ degrees C on startup and when idling, sometimes it dips down to 70 but that's pretty rare, ive used aftermarket thermal paste and checked several times if the heatsink is installed correctly, my specs are:

Dualcore Intel Core i3-2100, 3100 MHz

Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3-motherboard

Nvidia GTX 550 Ti Asus Edition

Ballistix 8Gb (2 4GB sticks) DDR3- 1333

Winpower+ 750v PSU

Sppedfan is telling me that my CPU is running 90+ degrees, but AID64 is telling me it's running 30. Core temp tells me it's 30 aswell and Hmonitor Tells me 90. I don't know what to belive, please help. Thanks in advance.

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 7:11:18 PM

Your BIOS should be able to tell you Temps too. Check your Temps from the BIOS and Post back. Also try SPECCY and let me know the Temp you get from there.

Also I think ASUS have a software Called PC Probe or AI Suite and that should also give a you a general idea of your Real Temps.

It is normal to have varying Temps from various software's but sometimes you have to choose what give you the best and closest reading. On the other hand, the difference between various software's should not be too much. 60 Celsius is a bit too much of a difference.

I personally use AIDA64 and has never been wrong. As long as your PC is not freezing, or shutting down at randon, there is not so much to worry about now. But you are better off knowing your real Temps.

Post back and let see which direction to go
January 7, 2013 3:34:55 PM

Hi, i used AI suite and left my computer idling for about half an hour, the readings ranged from 30 to low 40 so i guess it must have been speedfan and Hmonitor must be reading it wrong the BIOS temps give me around the same results
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2013 9:16:24 PM

Exactly as I thought. You really have nothing to worry about then.

I will suggest you stick to AIDA64. It has never let me down and should work just fine for you.

Glad to hear about the AI suite Temps and good to know your PC is fine.

Have a good day and Enjoy your PC
January 8, 2013 1:35:22 PM

Cool, thanks a lot for your help. You saved me alot of stress :) 
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2013 2:12:07 PM

Welcome Anytime
!