Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to get into 5760 x 1080 ( triple monitor )

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2012 2:24:57 AM

I am wanting to get into Triple monitor gaming. I have been looking through monitors to find the right ones but i am not 100% sure what i am looking at. I was wanting to keep it Samsung as well as LED. I was not to sure if i should be going 120mhz or 60mhz also if i should be using a 2ms response monitors or 5ms. Thank you for any advice!
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2012 2:36:16 AM

120 Hz for 3D

with funny glasses

otherwise 60 Hz
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2012 4:19:15 AM

You've pretty much covered the important things, response time and refresh rate. And as Outlander_04 said, 120Hz is only required if you're thinking of going 3D. One other thing to consider would be aspect, ie portrait or landscape. Landscape work best for fps games, and portrait gives better viewing with rts style games. One last thing, you will need another gtx580 (in non sli), or a single 6xx series gpu if you're sticking with nvidia, or hd5xxx (or higher) radeon gpu for triple monitors as the gtx580 only supports 2 monitors.
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 11:46:55 AM

Yea i am planning on taking my gtx 580 and tossing it in my second rig and grabbing two 680 gtx and running sli. I have no want for 3D at all. Do you guys have any suggestions for make/model of monitors. i wanted to stick with Samsung but i have not been able to find 24" 1080p 2ms response time monitors. I am open to switching brands just need to be pointed in the right direction.
m
l
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
a c 87 C Monitor
August 23, 2012 11:56:47 AM

No 3D? In that case go AMD. AMD cards typically perform better at higher resolutions, come bundled with Eyefinity which is far superior to Nvidia's solution and the high end cards have 3GB of VRAM. Memory on the card becomes much more important the higher the resolution.
These are the HD7970's I would get if I had any money.
Sapphire Vapor X HD7970 Ghz edition. $470
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Where AMD has superior multi-screening capabilities, it pales in comparison to Nvidia's 3D software. So benefits on both sides.

As for monitors, barely know anything about them. I know ASUS have made some good monitors that seem to be recommended a lot.

This is pretty interesting, if you have the skill and know how, it will save you a lot of coin.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peri...

m
l
a b C Monitor
August 23, 2012 12:37:58 PM

Agree with manofchalk re amd if you're not going the 3d route. The more VRAM per card the better. As for the monitors, I found these on newegg
This is 2m/s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... bit ugly for my taste, but...

This one at 5m/s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I found this model on a local site, but haven't been able to source it on a US site yet. http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MONSSM2452&name...

Hope this helps, good luck.
m
l
August 23, 2012 11:51:05 PM

Is the difference between the 2ms and 5ms response noticeable enough to make it a difference when considering a monitor ?? Also does the Brightness matter either 250cd/m2 for example ?
m
l

Best solution

a b C Monitor
August 24, 2012 4:26:52 AM

Deeks said:
Is the difference between the 2ms and 5ms response noticeable enough to make it a difference when considering a monitor ?? Also does the Brightness matter either 250cd/m2 for example ?

TBH, I have no idea re the response time. All my monitors have been 2m/s, I've never gamed on a 5m/s monitor. But I have read some rather robust debate about the difference and general consensus seems to be that 5m/s is fine for gaming, with only some saying there's a noticable difference.
As for brightness, apparently contrast is more important. I found this from "LCDs Demystified" http://www.epinions.com/content_4811563140?sb=1 that may help,

[Brightness] - The emitted light density is typically measured in cd/m2 (candela per square meter) or nits. Both units are interchangeable. A typical value for today's monitors is 250 nits and in most applications that's enough. Bright office spaces may require a little more. The brighter the screen the more attention should be paid to the contrast ratio. (see below) Note that brightness reduces over time as the monitor ages. Further, a bright environment can dim the appearance of any monitor significantly. A hood may improve your picture significantly.

Tip: Don't get blinded by the typically dim setting in a store, make sure you get as close to your target environment as possible when judging a monitor's brightness.

[Contrast Ratio] - The ratio between the brightest (white) and the darkest (black) image that can be reproduced. LCDs basically filter the white background and the Black typically ends up as a dark Grey. Starting at the white level, the contrast ratio describes best how dark of a black the monitor is able to produce. Older screens with 400:1 ratio work fine with 250 nits or less of brightness but black levels can be overpowered by the backlight. Brighter screens should sport a higher contrast ratio and a good number for today's monitors is between 800:1 and 1000:1. It is important to notice that the contrast ratio is given for perpendicular viewing and angular deviations typically result in contrast reduction. Plasma screens work different and light is produced in each individual cell forming a pixel. For that reason contrast ratio is typically much higher (and Black levels better).

Tip: Predominantly bright pictures require much less contrast ratio than dark ones since small portions of Grey on a mostly white background appear darker than they are.

Hope this helps, good luck.
August 24, 2012 2:24:32 PM

You've looked into monitors ?
The Samsung MD series looks pretty good.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
August 24, 2012 2:30:18 PM

5 ms is fine. Even 8 ms if fine at least for me.
m
l
August 28, 2012 3:01:34 AM

Best answer selected by Deeks.
m
l
!