Sign in with
Your question

A Discussion about Value

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2012 2:51:16 AM

History: Back in 2005 I had built one computer myself (partially although over time I had taken out every single component in it just for the sake of really learning how to put it all back together.) had taken it to university with me and was satisfied by it, exiting university I found myself with about 4,000$'s to play around with knowing I wasn't going back I decided to build myself something that I would be able to enjoy for atleast the next 3 years, at that point in life I thought everything had to be bleeding edge that it had to be worth the extra 500 or more dollars to buy that top tier product. The build I did at that time completely changed my view of computers (I was a noob) I had 4000$'s I could buy pretty much anything I wanted back then, around this time is when I found Toms.. and started reading it everyday and looking at the articles and benchmarks, I am absolutely certain there were no system builder marathons back then, you had to read everything and check for compatibility, there was no pre-made parts list. All that being said these are the builds I had back then.

2003-2007(RIPieces) Computer:

CPU: P4 3.0 Northwood
Motherboard:Asus P4C800e-delux
Ram: 4X 512 Kingston Pc3200 Ram total 2gb
Videocard: ATI Radeon X800pro 256mb AGP
Harddrive: 1X74 Gig Raptor @ 10000RPM 2X 250GB WD black IDE Hdd's
Soundcard: Audigy 2ZS PCI
Case: Aspire Super-X Alien
PSU: Aspires included 500W swapped to a 500W Antec Truepower
Drives: 1X LG DVDRW 1X LG DVD

Price: About 2700$'s (I overpaid :(  )

2005-Still running today

CPU: Athlon 64X2 4400+
CPU coopler: Gigabyte Turbine something?
Motherboard: Asus A8nSLI Premium
Ram: 4X 512 Kingston Hyper-X Pc3200 Ram 2 total 2 gb
Videocard: Geforce Evga 7800GT 256MB PCI-E
Harrddrive 1X WD Raptor SATA HD 1X 500 gig WD SATA @7200RPM
Soundcard: N/A
Case: Purchased a Raid Max Scorpio 868 but used the Aspire Super X Alien
PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 650W
Drives: 2X DVD Rw+- (Asus something)

Price: About 2100 with shipping and OS

Final Product.

Experiences: I have nothing but positive things to say about this old computer it is still running as my backup computer to this day, albeit in the scorpio 868 case after an unfortunate incident involving 1 Sony Trinitron TV and unfortunate computer placement when moving. It has always started up I have never had to re-install the OS for any reason the only maintenance done (other then the obvious case swap out) was blowing + Vacuuming the dust from the inside out and the standard software maintenance (OS updated, AV, Spyware, Registry clean ups). What I have right now is a computer easily in its 7th approaching its 8th year of constant service (It has really only been turned off when the power goes out.) and it still performs the tasks I require out of it, it still meets many of the minimum recommended specs for games launched in 2011.

Current PC:

CPU: I7 950
Cooler: Corsair H70 (replacing a Scythe Mugen Rev2.0 after moving the computer bent the pins straightened carefully currently a paperweight wont risk it again.)
Motherboard: Asus X58 sabretooth
Memory: 12GB of Kingston Hyper X 12,600 (6X 2 gig)
Videocards: 2X XFX 6870's 1gb Crossfire
Harddrives: 120 gig OCZ Vertex 2 + 2 X 1TB WD Black SATA III 64mb cache
Case: NZXT Phantom Black
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 1000W 80+Silver
Drives: 1 X LG Blueray reader/ writer 1 X LG DVDRW+-

Price: 2170$'s including the OS and the blue ray player and shipping.

The Discussion:

If you look at the price tag on each of those computers and divide it by the number of years of active service (although I shouldn't include the Pentium 4 based machine by that criteria alone as it stopped being a good gaming computer in 2006 due to the death of AGP and the much superior PCI-E + the full adoption of SATA and the inferior P4 Architecture...) You will see the respected value per year of service that these machines provided. the P4 based build turned up a pretty horrible ratio @ 675$'s a year the Athlon 64 X2 4400+ surprisingly comes in @ 300$'s per year.

When I look at my 2 previous computers and all the other computers I have since built for other people the point at which I see it as a successful build is when the computer passes the 500$ per year of service provided as you are able to write off double that per year in most places on your income tax for recreation activities. I think that's a pretty fair measuring stick, my question for discussion is at what point do you think a computer build can be deemed successful in terms of money spent vs. years of service?

More about : discussion

a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 5:17:33 AM

Well, I don't go into a system build with the idea of a system lasting x number of years. I deem my systems successful the moment they successfully execute the application they were built for; not how long they last. However, if I were to look at it that way, then a system build is successful to me, when it's still running and I decide to replace it.

-Wolf sends
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 5:32:40 AM

bro... you should see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg ...btw, do you wanna build or upgrade your computer now? because i am sure that a GTX670 won't do any harm to your computer :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 5:47:11 AM

idroid said:
bro... you should see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4ip08auGg ...btw, do you wanna build or upgrade your computer now? because i am sure that a GTX670 won't do any harm to your computer :lol: 

I watched 5 seconds of that video before i puked in my mouth. I'm not sure if it was the skinny white guy in a over sized hoody with a backwards hat or the fact it was a canucks hoody. Either way it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 5:50:21 AM

proxy711 said:
I watched 5 seconds of that video before i puked in my mouth. I'm not sure if it was the skinny white guy in a over sized hoody with a backwards hat or the fact it was a canucks hoody. Either way it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

i know... he seems kinda gay but that guy is one the BEST hardware gurus in the world, he is the product manager (i think) of NCIX canada and he reviews every popular hardware product...watch it.
m
l
August 30, 2012 1:47:39 AM

idroid said:

Neither if you read the Original post you'd know this is more of a discussion of value based upon longevity. I spent 2k on my computer last year I could spend more but as per my own rules I wont touch a single thing inside of it for atleast 2 years.
m
l
!