Where will my cpu bottleneck?

I have a Phenom Ii X4 965 BE. I currently have a Asus 7770ghx edition.

At what level gpu will my processor start to choke? I'm considering a second 7770 in cf. Will this be too much for my system?

My mother board is a ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with 8gb 1333ram.

Thanks guys!
8 answers Last reply
More about where bottleneck
  1. Your 965BE won't bottleneck with a single 7770.
    It should be able to handle a 7770CF. It might bottleneck in highly CPU intensive Games.
  2. NO bottleneck.
  3. Sweet, thanks guys. For $105 this was the fastest cpu I could find. Almost got a i3-2100t for $119 but, according to Tom's the P II X4 965 is slightly (oh so slightly) better gaming cpu. Saved me $15 and allowed the 7770 vs. 6770 or 6670. Which saved me some $$ getting a PSU that should let me cf x2 7770. I hope.
  4. Oldbutstillatit said:
    Sweet, thanks guys. For $105 this was the fastest cpu I could find. Almost got a i3-2100t for $119 but, according to Tom's the P II X4 965 is slightly (oh so slightly) better gaming cpu. Saved me $15 and allowed the 7770 vs. 6770 or 6670. Which saved me some $$ getting a PSU that should let me cf x2 7770. I hope.

overclock your cpu too then there will be NO chances of bottlenecking.
  5. U had nice mobo with Black edition proc... so it will o.c. quite well...
  6. Depends on what you are playing, even the most powerful CPU's bottleneck in some games.

WoW 25 man raids, battlefield 3 60 player multiplayer, massive strategy game like the total war series, diablo 3 4-player by times. These are all examples of games where a high end CPU will struggle before a comparable high end GPU.

If you are playing single player games like max payne 3 or the witcher 2 etc you wont ever see a bottleneck.

When other players are all making decisions in an online environment it's easy to run into CPU bottlenecks.
  7. no freaking bottleneck on any game, i've used my 1090t stock since 2009, games dont use six cores so the comparison is viable, i have not seen ANY game that "bottlenecks" the cpu, i have a friend with the exact same setup except he has two 6970 on crossfire and a phenom ii x4 everything runs perfectly smooth, we even played shogun 2 with a lot of troops on screen and there was not a single slowdown
  8. games are becoming more multi threaded, example max payne 3, there is not a single diference between a 3960k and an athlon II x4 in terms of frames per second, battlefield 3 is another example, now if you are going to do editing and that kind of stuff then you will start to see the difference between cpus
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards Graphics