Sign in with
Your question

Old CPU's

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2013 7:23:37 PM

I was cleaning out my old parts and been searching for some reviews on them with no avail. Have an old Opteron 170 (on an asus a8r32) and a E5200 (giga ds3l) . Was reading over the specs I could find and to me both cpu's look to be equal aside from volts and L1 cashe.
I was thinking of taking one of them and making an old game box and the other I might try my hand at making a home server or a nas with it.
I know back in the day amd was the gaming cpu. So that said Its kinda hard to choose what to do with what since the opty was orig a server cpu.

Has any one done any back to back tests? I couldn't find any on the web.

More about : cpu

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2013 8:15:23 PM

crazycuda said:
I was cleaning out my old parts and been searching for some reviews on them with no avail. Have an old Opteron 170 (on an asus a8r32) and a E5200 (giga ds3l) . Was reading over the specs I could find and to me both cpu's look to be equal aside from volts and L1 cashe.
I was thinking of taking one of them and making an old game box and the other I might try my hand at making a home server or a nas with it.
I know back in the day amd was the gaming cpu. So that said Its kinda hard to choose what to do with what since the opty was orig a server cpu.

Has any one done any back to back tests? I couldn't find any on the web.

Opertons, when they were released, were the cream of the crop because they overclocked so well. That said though, the e5200 would be a better gaming CPU, although, either would be a slug by today's standards.
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 8:20:34 PM

Those old Opterons (Socket 939) were very capable gamers, workstation, and server CPUs. I actually had a couple back in the day.

I agree with jitpublisher, the E5200 would be the better gamer. The Opty would make a great home server.
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 8:34:27 PM

LOL Jit,
I agree both would be slugs compared to todays standards but then again so am I lol . One of these days I might afford to upgrade my current 4yo system.
COL, any suggestions on what software to use for a home server I was thinking either free nas or ubuntu server
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
January 6, 2013 8:40:20 PM

Both FreeNAS and Ubuntu Server are quite good. Of the 2, I would lean towards FreeNAS.

You could also look at Windows Home Server if you want to purchase a product. It integrates nicely into a Windows environment (for both automated backups and file sharing).
m
l
!