Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Gaming/Livestreaming PC $2100

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2012 3:33:14 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: 3 weeks to 1 month from now

Budget Range: 2100 US Dollers After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Livestreaming(PC & Console games), Gaming, video editing and recording

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, Dual monitor setup.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None.

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: None atm, upgrading from laptop. But 1920x1200 or higher is preferred.

Additional Comments: I plan on recording using the PCI-e Blackmagic Intensity Pro, so an SSD drive(as a boot drive) as well as two 1 TB 7200RPM HDDs(One for general storage, and the second as the drive that the Blackmagic Pro will record to) is one of the requests I have in any potential builds. I also plan on livestreaming with Wirecast, so I will be using as much of the CPU's processing power(BlackMagic Pro also requires a higher-end CPU), as well as a good GPU that can play games at a ligh quality for playing enjoyment and also for the stream(I plan on streaming PC games such as Starcraft II and League of Legends, and console games like Call of Duty and Ult. Marvel vs. Capcom 3) so quality means everything if I want to obtain more viewers).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I currently only own a laptop, so I am upgrading to a desktop that can handle higher quality gaming and livestreaming( Laptop is an i3 - 330m 2.13GHz, Mobility Radeon HD 5450), which now cannot handle stable livestreaming of PC games without a major quality drop, so I plan on upgrading to get passed that. A IB CPU is preferred, for power saving purposes, but is not required. A really good cooling system is preferred as well, since the climate in Texas is...hot, to say the least. Not only that, but I plan on overclocking, so that would also need a good CPU cooler. Regarding the Dual monitors, I planned on getting two Asus VH236H monitors, since I have heard a lot of good opinions on them, and they can also be used as extra monitors for Ps3/Xbox 360 consoles, but I am open to any other Dual monitor combos as well.

Thanks,
Zane.

August 23, 2012 3:43:00 AM

I don't know if this is news to you or not, but you can't game on two monitors, only one or three. The bezel in the middle just sucks.
m
l
August 23, 2012 3:45:35 AM

Well, like I said, I'm livestreaming as well as gaming. One monitor would be used as the "gaming" stream, which has any game I am currently playing, and the other would be a separate stream that would have the streaming program/desktop access/stream chat that is off the stream monitor, so it wouldn't be displayed on the stream. I wouldn't have any game displaying on both monitors simultaneously, haha.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 23, 2012 4:05:09 AM

2100$? no problem!

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.36 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.36 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White/Red) ATX Full Tower Case ($128.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2181.59

This is the maximum performance mode but its 81.59$ above your budget...you can do this to cut the cost if you REALLY can't find another 81.59$:

*Buy a single GTX670 and later (in a about a year when you get a GTX670 for like...250-300$) get the second GTX670, this will cut your performance in games in (practically) half but a single GTX670 can easily handle any kind of 1920x1080 gaming and 99 times out of 100 people buy the next generation cards instead of getting a second card.

*Buy 2 GTX660tis, this will reduce your performance by about 30% (at most) but it will save you 200$ and they will requiere and upgrade faster than dual GTX670s or single GTX670 (because you can just add a second GTX670 when you need it)

*Buy an i5 3570k, this will reduce your gaming performance WHEN RECORDING but when you game without recording/streamin the i5 will performs exactly like a i7, i was thinking that if you're a youtuber or something like that you could download (for free...just let me know if you want it) some video editing programs like adobe after effects to retouch or add some effects for your videos.

*Personal advise...get the extra 80$ ;) 
August 23, 2012 4:31:27 AM

Thanks for the quick replay, haha. I actually like that build a lot. I originally planned on going with the build from Tom's Hardware June 2012 Performance PC build: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3770k-overc... , but I had a few gripes with it, and making the modifications to what I needed + monitors pushed me way over my budget. I would probably prefer 16 GB of RAM instead of 8, though. Since I do plan on video editing( own the Adobe CS5 master collection as well as Sony Vegas), so I'd like to use the programs to the fullest. Also, would an IB precoessor need a better cooler, since it does have overheating problems? I could probably do something about the extra $80. I just wanted to set a general price, instead of saying "build me a computer plz". lol.
m
l
August 23, 2012 4:39:56 AM

ZaneXIII said:
Thanks for the quick replay, haha. I actually like that build a lot. I originally planned on going with the build from Tom's Hardware June 2012 Performance PC build: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3770k-overc... , but I had a few gripes with it, and making the modifications to what I needed + monitors pushed me way over my budget. I would probably prefer 16 GB of RAM instead of 8, though. Since I do plan on video editing( own the Adobe CS5 master collection as well as Sony Vegas), so I'd like to use the programs to the fullest. Also, would an IB precoessor need a better cooler, since it does have overheating problems? I could probably do something about the extra $80. I just wanted to set a general price, instead of saying "build me a computer plz". lol.

Well... if i were you i'd get 8GB and if the extra 8GB are needed you can buy it with a few clicks, i don't see how could need 16GB of RAM since you won't be gaming, editing and streaming at the same time...right?

IB does not requiere after market cooling unless you overclock (the one i included is very good) btw...check your messages, i left something in there ;)  http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum1.php?config=tom...
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:26:12 AM

Any CPU that OCs requires aftermarket cooling.
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:30:34 AM

azeem40 said:
Any CPU that OCs requires aftermarket cooling.

Not really... you can overclock an i5 3570k to 3.7-8 with the stock cooler.
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:32:26 AM

I would hardly consider that an overclock. Turbo boost already gets to 3.6GHz.
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:33:27 AM

azeem40 said:
I would hardly consider that an overclock. Turbo boost already gets to 3.6GHz.

Quote:
Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the specified clock frequency by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters. One of the most important techniques is running at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second; hence the name "overclocking"), but other parameters, such as CPU multiplier and memory timings, can also be changed and would be considered to be overclocking. Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat, which must be dispersed if the chip is to remain operational.

Wikipedia.

I think that's an overclock...
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:38:06 AM

idroid said:
Quote:
Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the specified clock frequency by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters. One of the most important techniques is running at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second; hence the name "overclocking"), but other parameters, such as CPU multiplier and memory timings, can also be changed and would be considered to be overclocking. Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat, which must be dispersed if the chip is to remain operational.

Wikipedia.

I think that's an overclock...

The context in which you read my post makes you believe that.
m
l
August 23, 2012 4:21:00 PM

That's a very nice build. You certainly don't need a better cooler than that one, and you'd be fine with a $35 Hyper 212 EVO.
There are much cheaper 2tb drives out there, and the combination of a $110 drive and the EVO puts you closer to your budget. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:38:08 PM

Best answer selected by ZaneXIII.
m
l
August 23, 2012 6:39:46 PM

I'll probably end up going with the full build that idroid mentioned, but with just 1 gtx 670 instead of SLI. That should cut $300 out of the price and actually give me some extra cash for a good gaming Mouse/Keyboard.

Thanks for the help!.
m
l
August 23, 2012 10:52:31 PM

ZaneXIII said:
I'll probably end up going with the full build that idroid mentioned, but with just 1 gtx 670 instead of SLI. That should cut $300 out of the price and actually give me some extra cash for a good gaming Mouse/Keyboard.

Thanks for the help!.

Good choice! ...i suggest you get a Logitech G19, a Razer Mamba 2012 Elite and a SteelSeries 7H headset, together they will cost as much as a GTX670 but they are definetly worth every penny and you can add a second GTX670 when you need too
m
l
August 24, 2012 1:39:28 AM

You don't really need a Mamba. If you can find a store where you can try mice, do it by all means. I personally love my DeathAdder, which is half the price of the Mamba, and I've never wanted a feature it doesn't have or been disappointed by its performance.
Also, if you do a lot of typing you should consider a mechanical keyboard. My Das was the single best electronics purchase I ever made, and you can find ones like the BlackWidow much cheaper ($80, and it's got the same keys).
m
l
!