Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New pc build doesn't boot or post

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 23, 2012 3:45:40 AM

I just put together a new pc build and am having some trouble. It powers on for anywhere between 2 - 10 seconds. It will then power off and a few seconds later the process repeats indefinitely.

I have tried a different PSU and RAM to no effect. I have removed the video card and used the inboard video and tried removing all sata drives hoping to get it to post. This leads me to either a bad CPU or mobo...But I don't know how to proceed to decide which is the culprit.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770S Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB)
Video: ZOTAC ZT-50403-10L GeForce GTX 550
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750
Ssd: Corsair Force Series GT 120gb

More about : build boot post

a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 4:14:45 AM

I wanna start by saying that your build is really weird..

*"S" CPU?
*Third Gen i7 with a second Gen motherboard?
*32GB of RAM?
*750w PSU for a system that barely consumes 300w under FULL load?
*Cosair SSD?

whoever sold you that ripped you off or you built it yourself.... you should have asked for advise.

I am not trying to look like hater, i am just giving my opinion... Anyways, lets get to work... read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

if you can't find an answer there then let me know...
btw, i am curious, what do you do with that PC

m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 4:16:40 AM

more likely than not you need to update the BIOS to make it compatible with that CPU, version F7 in your case.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...

in order to do that, seeing as i don't see a BIOS update via USB feature, you will need a Sandy Bridge CPU that's supported with BIOS version F3.

either that or you could return either the CPU or motherboard for a more compatible component, if you can. do remember to double check it's compatibility, especially if you choose to keep the 3770S. even a Z77 mobo needs to update it's BIOS to accommodate for the newer IB models, for example;

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...
Share
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 4:32:25 AM

Hazle said:
more likely than not you need to update the BIOS to make it compatible with that CPU, version F7 in your case.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...

in order to do that, seeing as i don't see a BIOS update via USB feature, you will need a Sandy Bridge CPU that's supported with BIOS version F3.

either that or you could return either the CPU or motherboard for a more compatible component, if you can. do remember to double check it's compatibility, especially if you choose to keep the 3770S. even a Z77 mobo needs to update it's BIOS to accommodate for the newer IB models, for example;

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...


OMG....... how did i not notice that, GREAT JOB BUDDY +1 to you!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 23, 2012 6:00:54 AM

idroid said:
OMG....... how did i not notice that, GREAT JOB BUDDY +1 to you!

well that's only one of the likely causes. based on the troubleshooting link you gave, it could be that he actually does have a motherboard with a pre-installed IB supported BIOS, and the problem could be anything from incompatible RAM, incorrect RAM placement, CPU power pins not plugged in, faulty CPU power connector, did not installed the standoffs, or simply just a bad motherboard/CPU.
m
0
l
August 29, 2012 2:18:00 PM

Quote:
more likely than not you need to update the BIOS to make it compatible with that CPU, version F7 in your case.

Hazle, you were right on the money, thank you for your help! I took a Sandy Bridge CPU from my machine and was able to update the bios and then swap in the newer Ivy Bridge processor and everything went fine. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
whoever sold you that ripped you off or you built it yourself.... you should have asked for advise.

I am not trying to look like hater, i am just giving my opinion... Anyways, lets get to work... read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] o-problems

if you can't find an answer there then let me know...
btw, i am curious, what do you do with that PC

idroid, that was a very welcoming post for my first time on the boards here, thanks. Made me feel welcome.

This was a machine I was building for a friend that had a specific budget in mind. I gave him a list with links to Newegg but for some of it, he hit the local Fry's or Microcenter and they talked him into the ivy bridge upgrade as well as the 32gb instead of 16 I had suggested. He does blueprinting of homes with 3D design using Chief Architect for his business and CA is thirsty.

While this was my first post, I had followed the guides and read the link you had provided before posting. Apparently this doesn't happen often with new users, which is a shame, as you can save yourself a lot of time for most issues.
m
0
l
September 8, 2012 12:55:56 PM

Best answer selected by pyrofenix.
m
0
l
!