Screen goes black at random for 1-2 sec

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hello, My screen decides to go black at random times for 1 sec at a time, I removed the side panel and took out the card, inserted it again and made sure all cables hooked up correctly, Did a clean driver install by removing the old ones by safe mode>device manager>uninstall card/drivers>reboot>driver sweeper>Uninstall>Install drivers again and still, 5 seconds after booting up it goes black for 1 sec again..

XFX radeon HD 6870
Gigabyte Z68-D3
OCZ modXstream 600W
Intel I5

Does someone know what the problem is? Really annoying when it goes black at random when you are playing games.

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I just noticed that right before/after it goes black the screen becomes like, distorted or warped or something, Dunno how to explain it... Like from the right side to the left side the picture looks weird for like 1 millisecond or something, And I never noticed this on any other computers i've used this monitor on

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Take a close look at your video card, does it have a fan?, is the fan clean?.
Is your video card under warranty?
It could also be a power supply problem what is the specs on your powers supply.

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Yea, the card has 2 fans, all clean.. Computer is brand new, No blown caps, everything is clean as a whistle..

Are you connect by DVI/HDMI or by VGA cables? VGA are usually blue. This sounds like an analog (VGA) connection losing sync.

If you are VGA connected can you drop the refresh rate to 60 hertz ? Se iff the problem goes away.

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Im connected with VGA cables with an white adapter for the graphics card.. Screen is at 60hertz

I'll try leaving it at bios for a while and checking for flickers.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
It is possible it may be a mounting problem with the motherboard you may have one too many or misaligned brass standoff shorting under the motherboard, i see this alot with people who build their own computers.

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

No flickers in bios..

Hmm, I put the motherboard down in the case and memorized where the holes for the screws where, Lift it up and then I screwed on the brass standoffs so I dont think I have misaligned or anything(or too many) But I guess I can check..

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Tore the computer apart and rescrewed the brass standoffs, Didn't help.. 4 black screens under 40 sec when I booted up..

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Did you install the chipset drivers from the cd that came with the motherboard no flickering in bios means it's not hardware but drivers/settings did you download the newest drivers instead of the ones on the cd the card came with?.

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I installed the drivers from the CD, Do I need to do some weird uninstall(Like I did with the graphics card drivers, safe boot,uninstall,run drivesweeper and uninstall those leftover AMD drivers,reboot,and then install the newest ones?) or can I just install them over the old ones?

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I tried installing Intel INF installation 9.2.0.1030 2.43 MB 2011/09/19 from the gigabyte website, But the distortion or whatever it is, are still present.. No black screen yet tho, but it's been like 5 minutes since install.. But anyways

If it's a driver issue wouldn't a totally clean windows 7 install solve the problem? I haven't installed anything except WoW on this computer, And I can reinstall wow if reformatting the computer is needed..

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
it also goes black/distortion in safe mode..

Edit: Put the win7 disc in the tray, Rebooted and booted from CDROM, Windows is loading files.. All good thus far

Choosing language,time and currency, Keyboard or input method screen goes black..

So it has to be a hardware problem?

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Yes it does, But i cant plug my monitor in it.. The VGA cable doesn't fit and the adapter is also to big.. But anyways, I tried plugging my computer to my 37" flatscreen with an HDMI cable, Running at 1920x1080 no black screens or distortion yet(10 minutes)

My benq monitor has an max resolution of 1680x1050 and running with one of those white adapters.. maybe that has something to do with it?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
That is what im trying to diagnose it is possible it may be the adapter does your monitor have dvi as well as vga?.
dvi_connector.jpg

I find it odd most motherboards that have built in video have both vga and dvi some have hdmi as well what is the model of motherboard?.

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3, It does have HDMI

My monitor has an DVI slot yes, It's a BENQ G2200W
Sadly my monitor doesn't have an HDMI slot, Then I would've just tried my HDMI cable instead of VGA

My motherboard has an VGA lookalike slot, But it doesn't fit ;d

That's an RS232 port not a VGA port, wrong hole honey! :ange: ;)

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

:p

Im actually 100% sure now.. been gaming/browsing on my flatscreen for 30-40 minutes and no blackscreen/distortion, Tried switching to my monitor and blackscreened instantly..

So imma just have to game on the flatscreen until I can get a new monitor I guess, its extremely uncomfortable tho..

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I just checked there is a problem with ati and benq monitors seems to be a common problem best to replace monitor with something else that is not benq.
Since there was no flicker in bios it either had to be monitor or cable/adaptor but if it works plugged into another computer that has to be it benq/ati has been problem for many users after replacing monitor other users problems went away.

Cool, DVI and HDMI are the same thing with different plugs. You can get a cable with one end HDMI and the other end DVI. That will let you go digital instead of analog (gives better text -- google "microsoft cleartype"). It will also let you bypass any weakness in the analog section of the card or monitor. Here is an example of cables http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=cable+dvi+hdmi&x=0&y=0 Rosewill - HDMI to DVI (24+1) cable (6 FEET) $12.

NOTE: a bad (twisted too many times) VGA cable can cause the loss of syn problem you are seeing. Try wiggling teh cable and see if you lose sync. Try re-seating cable at both ends.

I used a BENQ monitor for years with an ATI video card (5850). My son uses a different BENQ also with ATI (5770). "just checked there is a problem with ati and benq monitors seems to be a common problem best to replace monitor" I would go slow following this advice, it may be correct but.

asdfa4

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Ah, I've been planning to buy a 27" 1920x1080 monitor next month, I'll just borrow a monitor from my friend, or stick to my flatscreen until then..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS