Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
So about a month and half ago I built my first computer.

Specs:
i5-3570k
Evga GtX 570 HD
G-Skillz 16 GB Ram (4x4gb)
Asus P8z77-V LK Mobo
Seagate Barracuda 1tb
LG Dvd burner
CM Hyper Evo 212 Cpu cooler
CM 912 HAF case
Corsair Tx 650 Psu

About a week after I built it I ran into some psu troubles; I would lose my display but the computer would still run, and soon enough my mobo started to reboot the system saying the psu was experiencing surges. I checked all my connections, they seemed to be fine. So I took out a multimeter, measured the rails and found that the 12v rail was pulling only about 9-10v if I can recall.

So I sent in an RMA, spent about two weeks fiddling with that. Got a replacement, and put it in. Well it's been around three weeks since then, and while playing a game I lost the display again. Since this happened the last time, I went into bios, checked the readings. Bios says my 12v rails pull 12.2-12.3v, granted this is before booting.

I also have HWmonitor installed, and it says my 12v rail pulls just 7.14v. I've heard the program isn't always true, so I downloaded OCCT, and ran a five minute quick test (three minutes of load). It's readings were around HWmonitor's, starting at 7.14, and under load dropping to 7.08.

Anyways, I'm just finding it hard to believe that in a period of less than two months, two Corsair power supplies have went bad. So I'm wondering if something else is up. From what I can tell everything seems to be fine, nothing is running at higher temps than it should (GTX 570 hasn't surpassed 70C, and Cores besides the OCCT test never go over 45C)

I'm puzzled. Suggestions and or help would be wonderful.

Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
One thing I've noticed on top of this, is that sometimes, when I put my computer in sleep and touch the back of the case it wakes up. I've recently moved out to school, and I don't remember this being a problem at home, but has been happening here. (Granted a psu has went weird now at both places).

I know that all of my standoffs for the mobo are in, and everything should be hooked up just fine.

So anyways, just something to add. HWmonitor and OCCT say my 12v rail has 7.19v this morning. I haven't checked my bios yet today.

Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
Yeah I was going to open the case back up today and take another look. I really didn't see anything wrong last night with what's in there though. The motherboard is the only thing I could think of and it seemed fine last night.

As for testing my plug, I have really no idea how to do that. I assume I would have to call someone in?

Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
Will be going through my case once I find time, hopefully later today. I'll check my motherboard standoffs to make sure they are fine...even though I don't know what could be wrong with them.

What bugs me the most is that my bios still reads the 12v rail as ~12.3v, while both HWmonitor and OCCT tell me 7.19v after my comp starts up. So basically I don't know which reading is correct anymore, maybe I need to pull the psu and pull out a multimeter. I'm surprised that the computer would even boot up if it was running on just 7.19v.

The last time this happened, within about thirty minutes I was getting the surge messages and the system restarted itself. I'm not getting those right now, just that one random loss of display (monitor says there is no HDMI signal, yet computer and fans are still running). The only other odd thing is that touching situation while it's in sleep mode...it doesn't seem affected while running etc...

So I'll update once I've looked at the mobo and checked to make sure something isn't behind it that's screwing it up.

Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
Bought a multimeter today, and test one of my molex plugs. (Yellow to black) Got ~12.3v, which is what the bios reads. So looks like it's fine to me.

Still don't know why the thing starts up from sleep when I touch the back of the case, or why the screen went black. But I guess that eliminates the psu.