Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Artifacts on Windows

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 4, 2012 11:57:39 AM

Good morning, about an hour ago I've overclocked my processor, an AMD-3500 F1 A6 bringing it to the frequency of 4.4 GHz (I was not feeling well: O). The PC shut downs and when it restarted I quickly disabled the OC from my Asrock motherboard A55M-HVS. We must say also that I linked a video card AMD HD6870. Now I do not know if the artifacts had them from before or from the extreme OC, but at the moment the pc gives me these artifacts. I tried a game, and runs fine except the writings that appear bad for the rest all ok. I damaged the CPU? Or is that the wings can not stand? (550W +12 V1 21A +12 V2 23 A)

I also have a ClearCmos and gave me the same artifacts, I unplugged the video card and gave them to me no more, but if I reconnected the video card I will have these problems (only on the desktop, this is the strange thing).
The video card is a 6870 VTX NEW, never used

(Pics)

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1953/26488449.png

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/705/cpuj.png

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3407/42602298.png

Is Windows 8 Unstable with official driver? Is the PSU that not enough power? Is the video Ram :( ?

Thanks (and sorry for bad english)

More about : artifacts windows

a c 103 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 12:10:45 PM

Looks to me like you damaged the PCIe controller on the CPU and/or the memory controller.

If I understand you correctly the artefacts disappear when you use the IGP rather than the discrete graphics card; is this correct?
July 4, 2012 12:17:48 PM

Pinhedd said:
Looks to me like you damaged the PCIe controller on the CPU and/or the memory controller.

If I understand you correctly the artefacts disappear when you use the IGP rather than the discrete graphics card; is this correct?


Yes. On GPU-Z however it shows that the GPU running at 16x on PCI EX 2.0.
Related resources
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 12:20:57 PM

xploreredfusion said:
Yes. On GPU-Z however it shows that the GPU running at 16x on PCI EX 2.0.


Yeah that's fine. The discrete GPU is connected directly to the CPU via 16 PCIe 2.0 lanes. I'm not certain how the IGP is connected but it may use PCIe directly on the silicon or report it as such for compatibility purposes.

Either way, screwy textures like that are symptomatic of something going wrong between the graphics card and the system memory. I burned out a few old NVidia 700 series motherboards and they all experienced similar problems due to overloading of the northbridge (memory controller) and PCIe controller.
July 4, 2012 12:24:42 PM

Pinhedd said:
Yeah that's fine. The discrete GPU is connected directly to the CPU via 16 PCIe 2.0 lanes. I'm not certain how the IGP is connected but it may use PCIe directly on the silicon or report it as such for compatibility purposes.

Either way, screwy textures like that are symptomatic of something going wrong between the graphics card and the system memory. I burned out a few old NVidia 700 series motherboards and they all experienced similar problems due to overloading of the northbridge (memory controller) and PCIe controller.


So, do you think that it's a motherboard problem? I will try the GPU on another mb. Thanks ;) 
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 12:53:23 PM

xploreredfusion said:
So, do you think that it's a motherboard problem? I will try the GPU on another mb. Thanks ;) 


A couple of years ago that would have been a motherboard problem but now I'm pretty sure it's the on-chip PCIe lanes, which means the CPU
July 4, 2012 9:06:07 PM

ok i've installed Windows 7 but i've the same artifacts :( 
a c 103 U Graphics card
July 5, 2012 1:07:20 AM

xploreredfusion said:
ok i've installed Windows 7 but i've the same artifacts :( 


It's not a software problem. It doesn't matter what OS you install or what game you play, a piece of hardware is physically damaged and needs to be replaced.
!