Sign in with
Your question

XFX Geforce 9500 GT overheating?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2012 11:58:48 AM

I've had my 9500 GT graphics card for probably about 1-2 years now, and just recently it started reaching temperature of around 70-80 degrees Celsius idle. I am fairly sure this isn't normal as it never did this before but then when I try playing any game, even at its lowest setting my 9500 GT will start shooting up to around 110-116 degrees Celsius. Could somebody explain what is going on and maybe offer some advice on how to fix this? Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 12:17:55 PM

You can clean dirt. Better you use a blower to clean dirt. Dirt is overhitting your gpu. One of my friend is using xfx 9500gt. Temp is just like yours.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 12:23:14 PM

As Mubin says, try removing the video card and using a can of compressed air to blow out the accumulated dust/debris. Compressed air is $7 at staples, home depot or you can mail order from newegg. Trying to do this with a dust-buster is a bad idea.

If cleaning the heatsink/fan doesn't fix the high temps (and the fan is turning!) then the heatsink is loose. Remove it, clear the old paste/pad off (use swab + alcohol, video on youtube if you want to watch) then apply artic silver or equivalent. $5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Above 100C you are damaging your card. It will fails in week/months. The high temp ups leakage current which increases the temp. You need to stop using the card until it is fixed. 110-116 degrees Celsius" --> really bad.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2012 12:28:56 PM

Those temps are too high. You'll risk permanent damaging of that card due to cracks in PCB.
Take out and clean the video card, like the others said.
m
l
!